Sponsored by:

Memorial Day at Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM
pengoe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memorial Day at Watkins Glen

I am considering driving up to the Glen from NYC for Memorial Day for the PCA event. I will be up there with my family (wife and 2 kids) and am wondering if there will be enough to keep them interested. I'm not going to be participating in this one, and have never been to a club race. Anyone think it's worth going to just watch ? Anything else interesting to do up in Watkins Glen ? Nice drives ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

same question - I consider an idea to get wife and 2 kids (1 and 5 yr old), may be in-laws too in the end of August there - is there anything at all interesting to do around watkins glen or is niagara falls the only remarkable place around those parts?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. there is the Lake; The actual "glen" or falls are ok; Go-kart track; Short drive to Corning (do they still have corning glassworks tours?) Being at the track;

You won't be able to find a hotel room nearby, so make sure its not too far of a day trip from wherever you are coming from.

There is the chance to drive the old, "original" road course if you can find a map. There is the motorsports research library there too (they might have maps) oh.. and try your luck at "Mr Chicken" for lunch .. boouuaahhhh
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

The countryside is really beautiful as is the Lake Seneca. My wife was just with me there and not driving at the track. Instead she did a lot of bicycling in the area which is great although very hilly. The town of Watkins Glen does not have many (if any) family style attractions. To me the main attraction aside from WGI is the landscape.

Ithaca is not far from the Glen,....perhaps there are things to do there????
Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife and I always drive around the lake in the early evening. Great ride, beautiful views. Not sure about keeping the kids entertained.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
My wife and I always drive around the lake in the early evening. Great ride, beautiful views. Not sure about keeping the kids entertained.
yep, that`s my primary concern. ideal location for them would be like north conway nh, which is next to story land, with mall outlets, restaurants, nice lakes around and, well, story land.

is there anything like that at all in upstate NY within 1 hour drive distance from WG?

Quick Reply: Memorial Day at Watkins Glen