Sponsored by:

Consequences of oil overfill?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Consequences of oil overfill?

I just picked up my car ('07 C2) from dealer who performed oil change among other things. I drove it home (50 miles) and took oil level reading. All bars were full(above hash mark). Drove the car some more took three more readings --all the same. It looks like dealer overfilled it. I will take it back and have it drained but do I need to worry about the 50miles back to the dealer? Can I drive it for a few days first? What are the possible consequences of overfill? Many thanks, John

BTW at least my 964 had a true dry sump and a dipstick!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If it is overfilled there is no way to really know with the electronic system. Did your car burn any oil prior to this oil change? (If so, just let the engine burn it off on its own).

These engines, if not grossly overfilled, have a tendency to find their natural proper level for themselves. They will often burn off the excess on their own.

Since an authorized dealer did this to your car they are on the stick for any problems that an overfill will create.

My guess is that it is not truly overfilled, but simply at the max. Do some random oil level checks over the next several days after a variety of driving situations. Hopefully, one of those tests will show the oil down a mark and then you will know that you are fine on the level.

When I get to the bottom of the gauge where it's blinking maybe 2-3 consecutive level checks, I add one whole quart. After I do that the gauge winds up at the top mark--where it should be.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Thanks Dan. I don't have enough experience with this car yet to know its oil consumption. I haven't noticed any smoke from the exhaust so I think I am going to drive it a few days and take frequent checks. As you say, I doubt it is grossly overfilled but the electronic reading shows complete bars even over the hash mark for maximum.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I wouldn't get too excited by this--just monitor it for awhile. Since you took it in for an oil change I'm guessing that you don't normally get under an engine. Otherwise I would just tell you to suck a little oil out of the case and take another measurement.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This unfortunately seems to be the norm. Run the motor, drain the oil, add 9 qts oil. You will get a .25 qt overfill (just over the top mark) which is no problem. Of course you cannot verify this with the electronic gauge, therefore the anxiety. After pulling the plug a couple of times to put it right (sloppy...do it on cold engine and be quick) I just got used to it. The indie shop I found was sometimes better. But not always. Enjot your ride. great car
Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

My dealer did the same thing. I took it back and made them drain some out.
The following users liked this post:
paradocs98 (09-03-2022)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It occurs to me that you need to know the possible consequences of a major overfill. The engine may suck oil into the breather and you will get a large cloud of white smoke. Don't drive it without consulting the dealer. Worst case scenario the engine will pull oil into the cylinder and the compression stroke will severly damage the engine (hydrolock). This is in the interest of full disclosure for your sake. You obviously drove the car and it did not self destruct but you did ask.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
This unfortunately seems to be the norm. Run the motor, drain the oil, add 9 qts oil. You will get a .25 qt overfill (just over the top mark) which is no problem. Of course you cannot verify this with the electronic gauge, therefore the anxiety. After pulling the plug a couple of times to put it right (sloppy...do it on cold engine and be quick) I just got used to it. The indie shop I found was sometimes better. But not always. Enjot your ride. great car
I always tell them to put in 8 quarts and leave the 9th quart for me to top off to the correct level.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. Being a new father (to my C2), I decided to take it to the best indie shop and have them drain a little out. Now reads at max line perfectly. IN case I failed to mention it, I love this car! Now replaces my manual 545I Dinan stage three as daily driver. I can feel the road again.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
boolala
Race Car

The gauge always reads an overfill condition after a dealer oil change. I've never had a problem from this.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

That is normal. I had the same question when I first got mine. It may be slightly overfilled, which won't hurt anything. It was amazing to me that nobody seemed to know the answer to this question when I asked the same thing, including Porsche race folks I know.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
I just picked up my car ('07 C2) from dealer who performed oil change among other things. I drove it home (50 miles) and took oil level reading. All bars were full(above hash mark). Drove the car some more took three more readings --all the same. It looks like dealer overfilled it. I will take it back and have it drained but do I need to worry about the 50miles back to the dealer? Can I drive it for a few days first? What are the possible consequences of overfill? Many thanks, John

BTW at least my 964 had a true dry sump and a dipstick!
One subtle but still serious consequence of an overfill is very likely the tech did *not* use this oil change to verify the electronic oil level measuring system was working properly.

The basic steps are to warm up the engine, drain the oil for a number of minutes, then add a specific amount of oil.

Then check the oil level. The oil level display should show a specific level. This lets the tech know with the *proper* amount of oil in the engine and checked in the correct way, on level ground, the oil level measuring system is working correctly.

This is so when you get the car and use the system you have a high degree of confidence that because you can see the oil level is such that the oil level is at the max line but not above it, that the engine has the proper amount of oil in it and the oil level system is working right. So as you drive the car and periodically check the oil level you are given teh right info regarding the oil level.

Now if the tech dumps in the right amount of oil and an oil level check shows the oil level high or low this should be considered a sign the oil level checking system is faulty. I do not know what range is allowed for the 997 model but for the older models the factory manual states that teh lower 7 segments should be lit. The oil level should be at the max line but not above it, or below it, if the tech added the stated quantity of oil to the engine.

Sure, if the engine was overfilled as you drive the car the oil level will almost certainly drop.

But an overfilled engine smacks of sloppy work and thus strongly suggests you were not given the experienced and skilled car care service you are supposedly paying for.

Heck any damn fool can put too much oil in an engine and for alot less money than $150/hour a lot of the Porsche service departments charge.

Sincerely,

Macster.
The following users liked this post:
Jims997 (02-02-2022)
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
That is normal. I had the same question when I first got mine. It may be slightly overfilled, which won't hurt anything. It was amazing to me that nobody seemed to know the answer to this question when I asked the same thing, including Porsche race folks I know.
I'd still worry about it but that's me - the electronic guage won't tell you if it's "slightly" overfilled or really overfilled.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:20 PM
NBsharky
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone ever experienced misfiring after engine overfill?

i've heard some replaced coil packs, spark plugs, and oil pump..

also wondering, if you replace piston rings does that require doing something fancy involving timing also?

-------------------
2009 Cayenne Turbo
Old 02-01-2022, 04:26 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

If you replace piston rings it involves lots of fancy things, mainly engine disassembly.

Quick Reply: Consequences of oil overfill?