Sponsored by:

Debris in radiators

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Debris in radiators

I pulled a lot of leaves, sticks, straw, schmutz, and stuff out of my radiator vent holes this AM. It was actually the first time I gave them a thorough cleaning in a few months.

But, it seems to me that the GTS with it's slightly larger (?) vents in the front fascia is vacuuming up a lot more crap than my '06S did.

I know keeping them cleaned out is good, but what about mesh inserts (like the GT cars)? Anyone done that? Bad idea?

Porsche can't be too worried about the radiators if they didn't protect them more as standard equipment. They just seem kind of vulnerable to me.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Your question reminds me what a neighbor once asked me. "How are the flies going to get out of your house once you but the screens in the window?"
There have been several posts on bumper removal & screen insertion. Do a search an you will find them.
For me the screen offers protection from stones causing damage, but how are you going to clean out the small debris that will build up?
Thanks to you I checked & cleaned out the debris tonight & it was the most I ever had. I clean mine every month or two.

Last edited by NA011; 04-25-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Gadgetman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I also cleaned my radiator vent holes this evening with a vacuum.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:48 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default radiator grills

i put rad screens on when i put on the 3rd radiator on my car to protect it. it was running hot so i put on the rad and the "super hot country" ventilation from porsche. yes, that's what they call it. it's got more ventilation in the wheel well, some ducting, etc. you'll note also that i put a light coat of paint on the rads esp because the front one really showed up in the middle.

i got the screens from cargraphic after looking everywhere & thinking about the best materials to fab them from. for about $150, i got screens perfectly shaped, perfect material, etc.

i'll have to relocate my laser shifters from behind the screen but besides that, i'm really enjoying it.

Name:  rad install sm04.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  rad install sm12.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  rad install sm21.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  rad install sm23.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  rad install sm33.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  116.9 KB
Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

While performing my annual maintenance recently, I cleaned mine out and installed grills I had fabricated. Materials were under $25.00 - Single sheet, powder coated black & easily cut with Tin snips then formed into shape with chisel (or any large flat blade will do to bend edges around)

They came out great and glad I did it!
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Debris in radiators