Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i have damned ants in my car!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
has anybody experienced this? its a nuisance. never ate in the car and car is clean. the ants are just there and i dont know where they came from? they are not really the big ants but small red ants. i see them congregating on the bug splatters on the windshield and i just see them walking all over. its not in the interior it usually is in the exterior, the doors, hood, around the door weather stripping. i just kill them when i see them but it seems like they just dont end? any advice?
Look here for a possible solution you can use that won't harm the car.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-02-1...ol-baking-soda

While I've never had ants in my car, I did while my Boxster was at work (when I lived in the mid-west) I'd leave the top down during the day on nice days and one or more spiders floated in on the wind (this happens in various places in the spring).

The result was I had tiny pale yellow/gold spiders in the car for years after. Just one would show every once in a while. I never treated the car with anything and they finally all died out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I put these in my Cab last year for a week & they did the trick.

Hot Shot 4-Count MaxAttrax Ant Bait

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46293-316-46...d|1%26page%3D1
Old 03-17-2011, 01:32 PM
slipangle77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once had ants build a nest in the outside metal ridges all around an amplifier mounted under the passenger seat... granted this was in college and who knows what else was under there...

A bug bomb did the trick, but you have to clean it all afterward.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
talbet
1st Gear

I wanted to bring this subject back alive. I bought an older car a few months back and all the sudden it was swarming with ants. There was a fountain drink spilled on the floor and they showed up. Cleaned the carpet but it didn't help. They were thick as thieves. Spray, spray and more spray. Just wanted to say that using a car cover has reduced the problem 95%. Have no idea why. They seemed to be attracted to the convertible top but were all throughout the car as well. They are never in the two other vehicles. Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey reading this made me smile. Remembered the problem i had a long time ago. I never did include the solution. I used ant bait and placed it along the rinning board where the pests run. Also on the front bumpers near the license plate. It was fun seeing how the ants immediately swarmed the ant bait. The ant bait was in liquid form and the ants swarmed the droplets. It was un watching them gobble up the bait. In 2 weeks time they were gone....for good.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Toast1
1st Gear

Default Ants in car

I recently had an ant problem, I guess from where I parked. Messy back seats from the kids doesn't help either, but I've never had a problem so a few crumbs wasn't the issue. I sprayed them with raid and smashed them when I would see them. I'd go out in the garage every few hours and would kill between 5 and a dozen crawling on the car and in the trim cracks. The hood, trunk, the roof, and I would see some on the back seat and the rear floor mats as well as the door jams. This went on for a few days. I trough some ant granules and put some bait stations on the back seat floor mats. The kind where the ant should take some back to the nest and kill the queen so they all leave or die. I washed the car twice. Once at home in case there was some sticky substance on the car they were attracted to and then to the car wash for an underbody wash. Fewer ants but still a problem. The car looked good. The next day I finally used some ant gel that a friend/exterminator gave me some time back for ants in the home. It's called Advion Ant Gel, made by Dupont. They have it at Amazon, but this isn't your Home improvement store ant killer. It is in a syringe type aplicator, no needle, and you squirt out a line where you see them a lot. They eat it and take it to the others. I filled the cracks all over the outside of the car with this stuff.
Now I won't say for certain this did the trick cause I had been killing every ant I saw, so maybe they didnt have a chance to take the other poisons back to the others, but I specifically saw an ant eat this stuff and I purposely didn't kill that ant so I could see if it took it back to the rest.
The next day, no more ants. I just ordered more Advion to have on standby.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Ants belong to the order Hymenoptera (social insects). Just the queen(s) mate and they only leave the nest to either move it or sometimes copulate with a drone depending on the species. All the workers are female and related - hence "social" insects that work together as a "superorganism"

Do you mean **** ants? So named because when you squish them they release uric acid, ammonia or some similar product of deamination which, well, is a part of the urea cycle that generates urine in mammals.

Sorry, I don't know crap about cars but biology I'm a little better at.
Man I had no idea you were such an ant expert! I'm very impressed! Us TB guys know what the hell we're talking about!

Tom
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If I had ants in my garage I would use Diatomaceous Earth on the garage floor. It is organic and stops all exoskeleton insects in their tracts. It is awesome stuff.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Ants hate chalk - and they won't cross it.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Could be Crazy Ants. If they are very small and crawling very fast. They will eat electronics. They have become a big problem in the south.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Trod
Track Day

I had ants in my pants once. I poured boiling water on them that did it, no more ants.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Back in Ohio we would get little ants 1-2 times a year in the kitchen, we would buy a 4 pack of those Raid square plastic ant traps that are about 2x2 in - They would all be gone in a day or two.

They are small enough that we could slide one under the fridge and stove - I suggest that anyone with this problem put one under each seat then place the other two outside the car in the garage - its suppossed to let the ants take the poisen back to their nest and kill and all thier friends/family.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Well if the car is free of stains to the best of your knowledge,put the car on jackstands, open all the doors up, and take a leaf blower to every corner daily for 2 weeks. Keep watch on the stands and make sure no ant trails form (if they do follow them), and in due time any ants/debris should be blown off/whatever is attracting them should go dry.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to work as a licensed pest control for Terminix in Hawaii. Although I've never had a call to rid a car of ants, my initial recommendation would be not to bait inside the car. If at all possible try to see if there is a trail coming and going to your car and bait outside near the trail. Spraying ants is never recommended unless you have found the colony. I always enjoyed the thrill of the "hunt" and following a trail to the colony. You'll know it when you see because you'll see hundreds of ants, eggs, and larvae. Then the time for bait is done. Spray away. Since cars move I would be very surprised to find a colony inside a vehicle that sees regular use.

Without actually seeing what type of ants you have it can be hard to tell you what strategy to use since not all ants behave the same.

Carpenter ants are large in size, picky about bait, and won't follow in trail. They come out at night and most likely would NOT nest in your car since they prefer boxes or door jams or somewhere that doesn't get bothered, like your attic or in a garage.

Small black ants and Ghost ants move in trails and love Terro bait or any other sweet stuff.

Crazy ants rarely ever take to bait effectively. They are called crazy because they move every which way and very fast and hardly in a discernible trail. I have always seen these ants nest outside, usually under a water meter cover in the ground or in a mason brick wall.

Fire ants live out in the yard. They can't resist Amdro. Sprinkle some of that around the ant hill and they'll go to that like fat people in Walmart go to the scooters.

What I would suspect to see in a car is Pharoah ants. Very small brown ants with a lighter reddish abdomen. If you have these, I'm sorry. Park somewhere else. I've never been successful in completely ridding homes of these. They nest in the most well hidden places, sometimes from very far away like your neighbor's house or yard. These ants usually go for protein based stuff and I have found them in dresser drawers nibbling on cotton fabric. I wouldn't be surprised to see them attracted to the carpet and glue in our cars. Try using the bait disks from the store or the granules that someone mentioned and hope that they aren't Pharoah ants. Again, I would recommend baiting outside the car. You don't want to draw them in for a food source.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:35 PM
JohnDee
1st Gear

From what I know about pest control and ant control the only effective treatment to eradicate ants from your car is ant bait gel.
You can try to fing one on the internet but mos of them are available only for professional pest controllers.
So you can contact local pest control ortry to get the gel yourself.
The gel bait will create a "cascade effect" klllng all ants
My source: Bon Accord - ant pest control

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i have damned ants in my car!!!