Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1S vs 997.2S Can you Feel The Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:34 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.1S vs 997.2S Can you Feel The Difference?

I am wondering for those of you that have driven a 997.1S and the 997.2S Coupe model, 6-speed cars, how much if any difference is felt in WOT and Torque feel in the seat ?

I am very happy with my newly purchased 07 C4S, but I never had a chance to spend anytime in the 997.2 cars. Aside from the PDK and all the improvements of the newer generation, my question is focused on "seat of your pants" gains.

Thanks

Jason
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 AM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'll bite. I had a 2005 CS (997.1) and now have a 2009 C4S (997.2). I left the fold for a few years and had a 996 Twin Turbo, then a 996 Twin Turbo X50, and then a 997.1 Twin Turbo. Turbo's are awesome but I like normally asiprated cars. (Personally, on the street, I think it has a lot to do with the exhaust note.) For me, when I drove a 997.2 standard Carrera with DFI after owning a 997.1 Turbo, I was really surprised by the responsivness. When I drove a 997.2 S with DFI, I was shocked. No, they are not faster than the turbo's but after purchasing and driving a 997.2 C4S, I really wondered if I need any more power for the street. Don't get me wrong, 997.1 is great, but to answer your question, is there a difference between 997.1 and 997.2? Yes, and it comes down to DFI. You will have a "seat of the pants" feel in the difference.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:06 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't driven a new S either, and wonder how much better or different it will feel from mine, considering that the hp is basically equivalent.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:30 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
I haven't driven a new S either, and wonder how much better or different it will feel from mine, considering that the hp is basically equivalent.
As Dhud says, the difference is astonishing. You have to drive them back to back to fully appreciate it. I'm not sure the horsepower difference is trivial either. My dot two DFI has 385 hp. Isn't that about twelve percent or 1/8 more power than the 996S?

Gary
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember buying my umpteenth bike; a V65 Magna. I was absolutely blown away with the power of that thing - it's acceleration could pull the eyeballs right out of your head.

Every winter I would park that beast in the garage and every spring I would bring it out and get blown away all over again by it's acceleration. And every year, by the end of the riding season I would be pretty much numb too, if not completely bored by the power of that machine.

Then I bought my first 911 - an '87 3.2 Carrera. I drove several hundred miles with my girlfriend to Fruitland, Idaho to pick it up. Even though that Porsche had a small fraction of the acceleration of any of my bikes, I was still overwhelmed by the experience of driving that car - the acceleration; everything - the whole 911 experience.

I'm now on my third 911 and I've never grown bored by any of these cars like I used to get bored with my bikes within the first few months of a rding season. Shortly after buying that first 911, I stopped riding bikes for the first time since I was a teenager - a span of a few decades and numerous machines.

I never looked back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that 911's are not just about power. Tossing 30 hp into the mix with a 997.2 over a 991.1 doesn't meaningfully alter the experience. That's just not the essence of these cars.

EVERYTHING is dripping with HP these days. You can even get your butt kicked by a Merc or Jeep SUV while driving your Porsche on civilized urban roads, regardless of whether your weapon is a 997.1 or 997.2.

These cars aren't simply about the HP - if you are then you should head over to your local Merc dealer. If you like driving your car - then enjoy it and forget about it.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
Originally Posted by simsgw
As Dhud says, the difference is astonishing. You have to drive them back to back to fully appreciate it. I'm not sure the horsepower difference is trivial either. My dot two DFI has 385 hp. Isn't that about twelve percent or 1/8 more power than the 996S?

Gary
Gary,

Docfink has a 997.1 with the X51 Carrera Power Kit, which yields 381 HP, which is why he asked if he would notice much of a difference on a 997.2 with 385 HP.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM
docfink
Pro

Default Understood, Gary...

Originally Posted by simsgw

Gary
I'll have to go drive one. However in my case my 997.1 X51 has the same horsepower as a present day 997.2S, and I'd like to compare the power delivery between the two.

I realize Porsche also made changes to the electronics and other things, but a drive would convince me if there is enough reason to upgrade down the road, although I plan on keeping my baby for a long, long time. The only upgrade I could see would be a turbo, but I'd have to feel that I want it more than just for power.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 AM
docfink
Pro

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I remember buying my umpteenth bike; a V65 Magna. I was absolutely blown away with the power of that thing - it's acceleration could pull the eyeballs right out of your head.

Every winter I would park that beast in the garage and every spring I would bring it out and get blown away all over again by it's acceleration. And every year, by the end of the riding season I would be pretty much numb too, if not completely bored by the power of that machine.

Then I bought my first 911 - an '87 3.2 Carrera. I drove several hundred miles with my girlfriend to Fruitland, Idaho to pick it up. Even though that Porsche had a small fraction of the acceleration of any of my bikes, I was still overwhelmed by the experience of driving that car - the acceleration; everything - the whole 911 experience.

I'm now on my third 911 and I've never grown bored by any of these cars like I used to get bored with my bikes within the first few months of a rding season. Shortly after buying that first 911, I stopped riding bikes for the first time since I was a teenager - a span of a few decades and numerous machines.

I never looked back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that 911's are not just about power. Tossing 30 hp into the mix with a 997.2 over a 991.1 doesn't meaningfully alter the experience. That's just not the essence of these cars.

EVERYTHING is dripping with HP these days. You can even get your butt kicked by a Merc or Jeep SUV while driving your Porsche on civilized urban roads, regardless of whether your weapon is a 997.1 or 997.2.

These cars aren't simply about the HP - if you are then you should head over to your local Merc dealer. If you like driving your car - then enjoy it and forget about it.
great points.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say that unless you are a track junkie looking for that last 10th of a second, you'll not appreciate the slight difference between 997.1 and 997.2 S. Both are great cars and I owned one of each for 2 years at a time. Yes, the 997.2 S is quicker around the track, but that's in part due to the engine and in part due to the Sport PASM suspension. I don't remember the 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. figures, but even if say the 0-60 is 1/10th a second different, or even two, can you even perceive that differential?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM
bdoviack
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm also curious to hear what most users have to say. Right now the spread between an 07 C2S and and an 09 C2S is around $20,000. I'm wondering what else you gain besides a tenth or two in acceleration times.

How is ride quality between the versions? In LA, the roads seem to be getting worse and worse. Would a 997.2 soak up or smoothen some of the road a bit better than a 997.1 even though both have PASM?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:23 PM
pewter82
Drifting

My post was for a non quantitative opinion about what the two cars feels like Torque wise compared to each other.
No, my question is not concerned with 0-60 and I don't street race. I've owned a 550HP muscle car, and I've had a X50 TT. I know what blazing speed and power feel like. My 993 C4S is in a class all its own
I understand what a 911 is, and what it is about.
Simple question and not a "what car should I buy?" Thread.

Jason
Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewter82
My post was for a non quantitative opinion about what the two cars feels like Torque wise compared to each other.
Okay. The biggest difference in feel is that the .2 pulls more effortlessly at low rpm. I'm not really sure what the difference in torque curve is exactly, but the .2 just feels more happy to pull from any rpm - in the .1 if I get on the gas hard below 3000 rpm the engine sort of bogs for a second and says "oh hell, are you seriously doing this to me?" and then it gets down to business. IMO the .2 just feels like a much more modern engine. It's quieter, less clackety noises, less need to baby it. If you drive a .2 with stock exhaust (no PSE) it's just too quiet and effortless, a bit too much like a BMW or something. The .2 needs more exhaust noise than the .1 to make you feel excited about the engine.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The street ride of the 997.1 and 997.2 S were comparable and I bet you could be blindfolded and not be able to tell which is "better". The 997.2 is the latest and greatest version of PASM and "at the limits" is better (read the Excellence article). I have Sport PASM, which is an entirely different animal.

As to the engines - I have about 15k miles in the 997.1 and 10k in the 997.2. Both are great engines and I did not have any hesitation issues with either. They sound different and are different, but very similar.

Point is for me that if it's a street car, you would be spending $20k more for reasons other than suspension and "more power". Warranty coverage, resale, personal desire, etc.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
No, my question is not concerned with 0-60 and I don't street race. I've owned a 550HP muscle car, and I've had a X50 TT. I know what blazing speed and power feel like. My 993 C4S is in a class all its own
I understand what a 911 is, and what it is about.
Simple question and not a "what car should I buy?" Thread.

Jason
The feel of the pants for me is that the 3.8 DFI revs more freely, is very linear, and pulls all the way to the top.

Quick Reply: 997.1S vs 997.2S Can you Feel The Difference?