Sponsored by:

System Error: amplifier not available

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 AM
linklaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Error: amplifier not available

Yesterday morning I got in my 2005 S and turned on the radio. No sound and the message System Error: amplifier not found, on the screen. I tried powering off, resetting with 148 combination on the keypad and checked all the fiber optic connections in the trunk. I have a Dension ipod adapter installed in the trunk and a Tooki bluetooth installed in the car. All connections seemed fine and I found no kinks in the fiber optic cables. I then pulled fuses 9 and 10, row D on the footwell fuse box, locked the car, waited for a couple minutes, unlocked the car, reinstalled the fuse and voila, everything worked again when I started the car. I thought I would post this so that others with this problem might get some relief and also so that when it happens to me again, I will be able to find out how to fix it by searching this forum.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I've had the same issue in my Cayenne for a long time and have learned to ignore it. I tried pulling the fuses, but never tried locking and unlocking the car. Also, it is very confusing as to which fuses are involved.

I'll check fuses 9 and 10 on my 911 and how that would translate to the Cayenne and give it another try. Thanks for the tip...
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I had this problem one time. I tried the usual--resetting the CB, etc. Wound up getting a new PCM from the dealer (under warranty). The problem was gone.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Thanks for the tip. I ran into the system error-amplifier not available last night and tried everything including the reset to no avail. Went through the fuse pulling regiment and voila I now have sound again. Hopefully it stays that way for a little while.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

This was a reccurring error for me with dennison installed. Id drive to work with everything working fine. When I'd leave in the afternoon, I'd get the "system error" message and no sound. Then it wouldn't come on at all. Reset the fiber connections and went away for awhile. Then returned. I removed the dennison altogether 6 months ago and all has been perfect. Clearly related to either a MOST connection or the Denison itself. Back to CD"s for now...
Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it, as I have the Nav-TV bluetooth and iPod adapter which may be part of the problem. Hopefully this is a one time occurrence.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have experience the same. The issue due to the PCM "timing out" when coming "online" and not seeing a specific device respond quickly enough. So the PCM reports the error and temporally "bypasses". Remember it's a fiber optic loop and "light must pass through each inline device to complete the MOST ring. (ie., Tooki BT, Denison Ipod adapter, Sirius Sat, Nav..etc...)

Essentially by shutting car off (for a while so PCM powers down and doesn't go into "standby" mode) or pulling fuses you "reset the PCM/ring". So PCM does a check again and hopefully this time AUX devices respond before "timeout".

My fix has simply been to ALWAYS, turn off PCM before shutting car off. This way aux devices power up first before PCM audio controls are activated.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linklaw
... I tried powering off, resetting with 148 combination on the keypad and checked all the fiber optic connections in the trunk.
???
Never heard of this, what is the procedure? Just curious.

Regards
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Thanks, I will keep this in mind. I normally always shut off the PCM before I turn the car off, and this time I didn't, so that may have contributed to the problem. With respect, to the 1, 4 and 8, if you push those buttons simultaneously the PCM will reset/reboot.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
With respect, to the 1, 4 and 8, if you push those buttons simultaneously the PCM will reset/reboot.
Good to know!
Thank you,
David
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wow this is amazing. I've never heard of this before, two days ago I see this message as well. I shut the car off and when I re-started it the problem was gone. Weird!!!
I too have a Denison installed and I figured it had to do with this.
Thanks for the 1,4,8 button re-set idea, i'll try that
Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

I'll be interested to see if the 148 combination is a long term fix or if the system error messages return.
I'm convinced it's related to the denison or one of the MOST connections and don't see how a PCM reboot will fix it. Hope it's a solution, I want the denison back, it's a great convenience for iPod use.

And i thought I was the only one experiencing this...
Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Bob,

I suspect you're right that the 148 reset won't be sufficient to deal with a non-detected MOST component. For this a full power-down appears to be required.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM
chrispiec
Intermediate

What fuses do I pull for my cayenne turbo to reset PCM? I'm getting this message system error: phone, cd changer and amplifier not available! No sound but PCM seems to work. It displays radio stations and satnav work.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Menteer
1st Gear

Default Thank you!

Worked for me! I was having trouble with my tookie and then my amplifier. Unplugging and rep lugging the fuses was the solution. 2007 997 c2Scab
Originally Posted by linklaw
Yesterday morning I got in my 2005 S and turned on the radio. No sound and the message System Error: amplifier not found, on the screen. I tried powering off, resetting with 148 combination on the keypad and checked all the fiber optic connections in the trunk. I have a Dension ipod adapter installed in the trunk and a Tooki bluetooth installed in the car. All connections seemed fine and I found no kinks in the fiber optic cables. I then pulled fuses 9 and 10, row D on the footwell fuse box, locked the car, waited for a couple minutes, unlocked the car, reinstalled the fuse and voila, everything worked again when I started the car. I thought I would post this so that others with this problem might get some relief and also so that when it happens to me again, I will be able to find out how to fix it by searching this forum.

Quick Reply: System Error: amplifier not available