Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your undercarriage panels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Check your undercarriage panels...

I stopped by my dealer - Porsche of Fremont - today to check something. All was fine, but while the car was on the lift, the mechanic who always services my car, decided to tap the undercarriage covers and heard loose rocks inside... He knows this to be a common occurrence. The rocks are sucked in on the road via the NACA ducts. He pulled the cover out (the rear one covering the transmission) and a dozen small pebbles/rocks came tumbling down. It's not a big deal, as I never heard any rattling, but something to check if you hear rattles, or when your car is serviced.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks, I was wondering why my expensive exotic car sounds like a maraca

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

It's not entirely **** to pull these panels off every couple of years to inspect things up inside there--and then clean the panels, wax them, and reinstall them.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the oil in my wife's '02 turbo Audi TT myself and if you've done that yourself, you know there is a large panel under the front of those cars that has to be dropped to do the oil change. It was fairly well buttoned up when in place but you could do a geological study on your driving habits by analyzing the rock collection inside that thing! Same with my '96 C4S.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's not entirely **** to pull these panels off every couple of years to inspect things up inside there--and then clean the panels, wax them, and reinstall them.
Dan - Is this a similar degree of "attention to detail" as removing the rear bumper to wash and wax the frame behind it???
Marc

Quick Reply: Check your undercarriage panels...