Sponsored by:

20K service update......some interesting items

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 20K service update......some interesting items

So I take the gal in for the 20K service and since the car is now 4 yrs old I go for the following items:
The routine 20K service, brake fluid flush, replacing the tire sealant, checking the airbags (I normally wouldn't be talked in to things like this one, but I had a soft spot for safety that morning). I declined the recommended spark plug replacement. Other things I had on my list were to adjust the hood latch because it was requiring too much force to close, a leather scuff repair on the driver's door pull handle, tracking down an annoying squeak/chirping from the soft top when up, and adjusting the latch on one of the rear seatbacks (also a little too much force required to latch it.) Everything was taken care of the same day except for three things. One was the squeak/chirp which they're still tracking down (requires removal of some trim etc. to find it). Another is the fact that the battery cable running between the battery and the alternator was showing a 1V drop (normally about 1/2V). The third was that they discovered that one of the radiator fans was dead. My battery had been showing signs of dying recently, so for those out there with a dying battery symptom, I wouldn't assume it's simply your battery.........it may not be getting charged adequately if you have a faulty cable as in my case. (There is a TSB on this.) Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the fact that the faulty cable and dead fan were discovered by the service tech, and both are being covered under CPO warrantly. I can't say enough good things about Gunther the service manager at Porsce of Fremont. Not only does he know his stuff, but he goes to bat for you with Porsche. It's always a pleasure dealing with real pros.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Gunter was recommended to me recently by a fellow Rennlister and he just serviced my car last week. I was also very impressed with him. Had some warranty repairs done as well as a general pick me up. He noticed and addressed things that seemed to elude the other dealer I was using.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
... I can't say enough good things about Gunter the service manager at Porsche of Fremont. Not only does he know his stuff, but he goes to bat for you with Porsche. It's always a pleasure dealing with real pros.
Correct! Gunter is a class act and he runs an excellent crew.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did you pay? I got hit for $1300 but that included plugs.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 AM
jurnes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+++ on Gunter and the Fremont Porsche dealership. They are a very active contributor to events for the Diablo Region PCA.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My alt cable was replaced when they CPO'd the car.

Recently my decklid fan actually BROKE and boy did it make a racket!

LOOOOOOOVE THE CPO
Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

Thought I'd follow up on my original post with the final outcome. Radiator fan and alternator cable were both replaced..........good for peace of mind. It's amazing how much stronger the battery is now.......no more anemic sounding cranking. The other huge difference I notice is how much tighter and quieter the car is now that it's had the convertible top serviced and lubed. They were able to track down my squeak/chirping sound coming from the top........isolated it to a loose bolt on the B pillar. The car is rock solid and quiet now.
The whole thing cost me $1500. I'm good with that given that that I've now had the 4 yr service items done (with the exception of the spark plug replacement I declined) $500 of the cost came from the rattle fix ($300 and more than worth it if you heard the rattle) and the leather repair I had done on the door handle($200). Also consider that a 4yr service on a cab will cost more than a coupe given the service on the top.
Porsche of Fremont and Gunter rock....I spent a good hour or two talking with Gunter about all things Porsche and track. He also took me in the service bay to show me a Carrera GT that was having a major service done.........they have to drop the entire engine to adjust the valves, exposing the carbon fiber frame....what a machine!

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

The top has a couple of torx bolts (midway along the top of the side windows that can come loose. They should be tight--maybe even with loctite on them. Also, for cabs, the plastic 'stays' can sometimes loosen up and set up quite a racket.

I have been impressed with how my service guy (the mechanic--not the service writer) goes to bat for me on warranty issues.

Quick Reply: 20K service update......some interesting items