Sponsored by:

wiper judder

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default wiper judder

anybody experience the wiper juddering? new car so assumed new wiper blades. the wipers clean well but one will notice the wipers not operating smoothly. Juddering is how i would describe it. any advice?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

YES!!!!

its so bad i dont even use my wipers even in the worst rain because the judder across the windshield is more annoying to me then hitting the car in front of me,

i tried video taping it but it doesnt read on video... ive tried everything, cleaning it with 20 diff products, cleaned the wipers... etc.. not sure what to do.. i would say the wiper cleans TOO well and then it judders?

this judder, and the rattles i have in side panels and instrument cluster are making me want to sell the car... well.. its actually listed here already.. will be listed on autotrader and cars.com soon.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming the rubber has a 'memory," remove rubber strip and rotate it (if it's even possible) so bottom edge becomes top edge? Just a guess on my part. If that doesn't work get new blades?

It always bothered me that the blades just sit there unmoved for weeks and weeks and aged without any use. I started to raise them and leave them raised but eventually gave up after unintentionally and forgetfully smacking them down when I opened the hood.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had no problems with my wiper blades. What part of the country do you live in where there is juddering? I'd imagine that could be the window/blades are 'too clean' so the stick, combined with temperatures/environment aging the rubber in the blades prematurely.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

A couple of things: [1] clay your windshield and [2] use a bug pad to thoroughly clean your wiper blades. This assumes, as you've noted, your rubber inserts are new.

HTH
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for claying the windshield.

Even for a new car, it might have been sitting on the boat/truck/lot for a while between rolling out from the factory and arriving our home. The windshield can have some micro layers of dirt sticking on it even dealer prepped the car before the delivery.

Use a claybar (for the windshield, a cheap clay bar kit from Pepboys will do) to carefully clay the windshield. Some folks will also put a nice coat of Rain-X on the windshield.

And then, for the peace of mind, get some brand new wiper blades from dealer. They are cheap and easy to install.

I think with above done, it will eliminate the juddering significantly.

Regards,
Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Try tightening the wiper arm nut... sometimes the nut becomes loose.

Remove the plastic protector and get a deep socket to tighten the nut.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same for me driver's side only even with new wipers. Could also be a pressure issue...maybe the nut is too tight? Someone noted it could be too loose as well. And yes it's very annoying!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

ok now i think this is an issue. after just a couple of hours posted there are already 2 other brothers agreeing to the problem. i actually clayed the windshield already, used dishwashing liquid, a dedicated windshield glass scrub etc. etc. the only things i did not do is use rubbing compund nor any grade of steel wool. i actually am like rijowy, i keep the wipers off when moving at speed and let the wind wipe the screen rather than be annoyed by the juddering. this is something we have to fix guys so simple yet annoying specially on a $100,000 car
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i keep the wipers off when moving at speed and let the wind wipe the screen
That's when a fresh new coat of Rainex really comes in handy.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try hard to never let carwash detergent (with polish) to come in contact with the windshields. I wash and dry them with water only (never tried dishwashing detergent but it may be useful here) and a seperate chamois that has not been used on the body. Finish with a good windshield spray and minimal juddering
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Surgical towels are the best for windshield drying that I've found.

Car wash detergent with polish?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
CBnAT
Pro

I also have this problem, only on the drivers side. It's not every time it rains, but at least half of the time. The blades have been replaced more than once and it does not cure the problem. I have had my windshield detailed and it did not help either.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

ok this is real...our technical guys have a good possible solution/guesses??
Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

A good point, using car wash detergent (or dish washing detergent someone mentioned) on windshield is not ideal. The wiper blades would actually appreciate a little lubrication on the windshield in order to swipe smoothly (thus in the old time we used newspapers to clean the windshield due to its oil ink.)

Nowadays, after claying the winshield, apply some Rain-X on it. It will help.

Regards,

Quick Reply: wiper judder