Sponsored by:

997 PCM Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997 PCM Failure

Anyone had problems with their PCM Nav/Radio unit in a 997.1? Mine started acting funny a few weeks ago with it basically locking up. Only the volume would work. A power cycle (fuse pull) seems to fix it for a few days then it locks up again. My car is still under warranty but the dealer is saying they don't warranty the PCM units because they are damaged by liquids falling into them. I am quite pissed as I have maybe had a drink in the car half a dozen times since I owned it. I can't speak for the prior owner though. Anyone been through a similiar situation and what was the outcome.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:57 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i would contact PCNA with this as it does not sound true - I know CPO warranty does not cover electronics but general warranty of course does cover entire car PCM included.
my amplifier just died last week ad I am getting new one by warranty. I know off people who got main PCM units replaced by warranty.
something is not right about this response from a dealer. do you have another dealer in your area?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have had an issue with my PCM early in the warranty period where the right **** stopped functioning. It was replaced with the updated unit under warranty no questions asked. I would try another dealer. I think even if your car is under the CPO part of the warranty it should be covered but read the fine print of the CPO part of the warranty as well.
Also, the early PCMs had issues so ask the dealer if they will "goodwiil" the repair for you but cite that you are still under warranty anyway.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Mine was replaced once for operating weirdly. But PCNA paid for it. Is your car a used car?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
andywi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PCM in the 2008 Carerra S was replaced a couple of months ago by the dealer to resolve problems with what appeared to be one or more "stuck" button contacts. The system would randomly change radio stations, CD tracks, and press function buttons while rolling along. The symptoms were always worse when the headlights were on, indicating some change in current draw.

The dealer wanted to try everything except replacing the PCM, but I persisted. They made me remove the Lojack system installed by the PO ( didn't really want it anyway), but this did not improve things. They also used the possible "spilled liquid" excuse, but finally agreed to order and install the replacement PCM with the stipulation that if PCNA inspected the old part and found signs of liquid, they would force me to pay after the fact.

In the end, the new PCM fixed the problems, and no liquid was found. I would press your dealer harder.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been dealing with strange behavior with my CD player for the
past year.
Whenever I start the car, the CD player buttons are inoperable, so I
have to switch it to radio and back to CD.
It also skips heavily and is slow advancing between tracks.

Porsche has looked at it twice and claimed nothing is wrong with it.
I am taking it in on Monday and will insist this time that they replace
the PCM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an 05 997.1 in January this year with about 25K miles. About 2 weeks after I got it, the PCM ate a CD and the unit failed. The car was well out of warranty and NOT CPO. My dealer had ME call PCNA and explain my situation (nicely and while sobbing uncontrollably, of course). PCNA asked the contact information for my dealer, and after about 2 days, the dealer called me and Porsche had offered to pay half of the new PCM (about $800!). Tell your dealer that you are going to call PCNA and request they help you, and tell them to expect a call about their findings to substantiate your request. Obviously it would help if you have a good relationship with the service manager or writer (for me, the writer actually did the deal). A good attitude might be of some help if you elect to call PCNA.....FWIW.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I can see where a dealer would tell you that a PCM unit might not be covered under warranty IF liquid got into it, but not that it wasn't covered because liquid MIGHT get into it. I see nothing in the warranty booklet that excludes the PCM from coverage. I think you're getting the run-around. Contact another dealer or PCNA.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I can see where a dealer would tell you that a PCM unit might not be covered under warranty IF liquid got into it, but not that it wasn't covered because liquid MIGHT get into it. I see nothing in the warranty booklet that excludes the PCM from coverage. I think you're getting the run-around. Contact another dealer or PCNA.
Mike is spot on. There is no exclusion in my CPO warranty coverage.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
pauljosef
Intermediate

I posted this on another thread and and then found this more specific

I believe that Porsche is having serious problems with the PCM and, for financial reasons, management are doing their best to conceal it.
I originally posted my PCM problem as "Spilled Coffee=$4,000 repair?" in response to a thread complaining of the cup holder placement. My 2006 Carrera S PCM began acting erratically several months ago, on and off with "system error,amplifier,navigation unavailable". My dealership described it as resulting from spilled liquid on the facing. The service manager made it clear that this was common because of the driver side cup holder's placement (immediately over the PCM) insured any spillage would drip in and cause damage. He showed me the service bulletin that is Porsche's policy.
The problem is compounded by the fact that the PCM is made by Becker, not Porsche, so dealership can't even work on it. All they can do is replace unit, send it to Porsche who will send it to Becker, who will open it and, if any evidence of liquid (e.g. coffee stain) Becker will charge back to Porsche who will charge back to service manager. This is big money between 2 big companies.
Becker has a good point in that Porsche could have designed or specified a spillage-resistance from Becker but Porsche designed the cup holder to be right over PCM so should have or should redesign (or at least warn the consumer). The problem is Porsche will NOT warranty the repair despite the direct relationship between the negligent design and the damage. This is absolutely non-negotiable with them. I spoke to Porsche customer care, who promised to "look into it" and then simply sent me a denial of claim letter with no explanations and now will not return my phone calls.
My lawyer tells me I should pursue it.
How does my experience compare with yours? When you say PCNA is that 800-PORSCHE?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I think there is a valid claim that Porsche's design work leaves a lot to be desired. When you place a liquid container in close proximity to the PCM it can be expected that liquid could be near it!

What Porsche should have done was to tighten up the specifications on the PCM units and made them more impervious to liquid penetration. However, they chose to save a few bucks and didn't do it.

When I used to deal with Mil Spec stuff all the time the government was very careful to ensure that there were suitable moisture seals for stuff that was going to be in contact with moisture!

Best of luck. I think you have a valid issue. It can only be expected that a REASONABLE PERSON would be expected to USE A CUP HOLDER for holding something that contains a LIQUID. Porsche has no defense against the normal use of the cup holder. If it was such a problem they should have shaken that out during testing! Also, I noticed that not long ago CHRISTOPHORUS ran an article about their cup holders and coffee, throughout Europe. Photographs clearly show the cup holders in use. If they were such a liability or threat to ancillary equipment within the car then a disclaimer should be printed in the owner's manual: "Do not use for liquids."

I would take that case.

Last edited by Edgy01; 05-12-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

The only bug in my extended warranty is a $300 limit on the radio. So if the PCM goes teats-up I'd be held for the difference. I've decided that in that case I would get an aftermarket radio. I'm sure I can get one at least with integrated Bluetooth, if not SAT-NAV, for the same or less than a replacement of my '05-generation PCM. True it will not be "factory", but by the time I'm ready to sell the car I doubt it will make any difference.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Becker audio will repair for a few hundred bucks if your warranty wont cover it.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsc...6644_6642.html

They also sell new ***** if your are gummy and a $100 connection for aux audio.

dr
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM
pauljosef
Intermediate

Thank you for the affirmation Edgy (Dan?) You sound like you know what you're talking about. Because the PCM design originally submitted to Becker by Porsche was before the cup holder placement by Porsche, I suspect that they didn't think to change the specs. These lists are full of PCM complaints that I suspect could cost Porsche a fortune if they paid the claims as warranty.They don't realize that , by denying claims, they will end up with a class action suit and a permanent stain on their reputation. They would be wise to "goodwill" these. Who knows? In this world economy, they may be planning bankruptcy.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 PM
pauljosef
Intermediate

Machina: Thanks for the information about Becker repair. You would think that Porsche would have told me that but then they WANT me to pay $4,000. If I did such a repair, they would probably void my entire remaining 1 year "full" warranty, so I can't. Really no choice but to sue them.

Quick Reply: 997 PCM Failure