Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amp-993C2
You did that?

In one pass?
Yep, one pass with the P-car, so he gets to be an avatar. He was about a 2- 1/2 footer. Mojave's don't get as big as the Western Diamondbacks.
About 3 houses down from mine last year - 1 of 3 I ran over last year in our neighborhood + 1 with a bush axe in my neighbors yard.
Wierd thing is I haven't seen a single one this year. Maybe I got 'em all????
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let the derision begin but no... I generally do not drive my 997 in the rain. Our Porsche is our third car. We have a 2010 Audi A6 Avant as a daily driver and a 1997 Lexus LS400 as an Angel game/surf mobile/quasi-beater. I prefer to leave the P car dry, clean and in the garage on inclement days.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:56 PM
spud99
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive it in the rain because I don't like to ride my scooter/bike in the rain, and I drive it in the snow for the same reason.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just another thing, I also don't drive my Porsche when I take the kids to sports events, too much gear! And cleats can tear leather, ask me how I know.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I did not pay extra for windshield wipers on my Porsche so I am not sure my car came with them.....
Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I babied my very first P-car, as it never saw a single drop of rain water. 12 years later now, I'm not quite as fanatical about it. I'll drive it whenever I feel like it, rain or shine, although I generally do prefer not to drive it in the rain. If for nothing else, it's to avoid the idiot drivers that seem to dominate the roads whenever it rains here. I'll play bumper-cars with my other cars instead.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

My Club Coupe has seen rain just once, and that was last October when I had to get it in to the dealer for its last annual maintenance before the warranty expired. Other than that, I have a daily driver, so I prefer to not drive my classic car (1967 Corvette Stingray Convertible) or my Porsche in the rain.

As a result, my Club Coupe gets washed maybe once per year. The rest of the time I'm able to keep it clean using a California duster and detailing spray prior to each drive. I use Zaino and haven't needed to re-wax in 4 years and going.

Also, don't discount the greater risk of accidents in the rain.

In May, my daily driver was totalled in the rain, because another driver wasn't paying attention and ran a red light because by the time she "woke up" and saw the light had changed, she couldn't get stopped on the rain slicked pavement. Had I been driving my Club Coupe in that rain, it would have been the car that got hit.

All of that said, I have had 3 Porsches that were daily drivers, and drove them rain or shine. I always washed them weekly and waxed them twice per year.

It all depends on how you want to drive them and for what. But if the cost isn't an option and you have other cars, I don't see anything wrong with saving the Porsche for fair weather days, just like you would do with a classic car.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Kuhan
Racer

To all of you who don't drive their cars in the rain - thank you!

As someone who can't afford a new one, you allow people like me to be able to get a 2nd hand Pcar that is basically new.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
To all of you who don't drive their cars in the rain - thank you!

As someone who can't afford a new one, you allow people like me to be able to get a 2nd hand Pcar that is basically new.
You best be a teenager now or live and drive Porsches until you're very old, if you expect to get my Club Coupe.

I'm keeping it until it dies or I do.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Silly question it may be (expect many more btw ) but I simply wanted to know how mad I really was. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks its best to keep the p car dry.

Also if you drive any car every day surely the special feeling it gives kinda gets a bit eroded. Its a real treat to take the 997 out on a dry sunny day when I am on a day off.

I have had my TR6 for 17 years now and I have strictly applied the no wet policy and my TR is still as good as it was when restored in 1990. If it works for that car it will work with the 997.

I have never enjoyed driving in the wet/rain in any car and as I have many other cars to chose why thrash the 997 by driving it in bad weather.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9elf S
I live in the Midwest like some other posters...so I don't drive in the rain or threat of rain. Too much risk of the car looking like a golf ball.
Extra dimples actually improve the aerodynamic of the car 200+ MPH is within grasp.

John
Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Let the derision begin but no... I generally do not drive my 997 in the rain. Our Porsche is our third car. We have a 2010 Audi A6 Avant as a daily driver and a 1997 Lexus LS400 as an Angel game/surf mobile/quasi-beater. I prefer to leave the P car dry, clean and in the garage on inclement days.
No derision should exist. If anything, it should be aimed at people who are mysteriously proud at the fact that they're putting a bunch of pleasureless DD miles on a 100k car in stop and go traffic, or other annoying rush hour traffic conditions. Might as well go sit in your car in the garage for 30 mins or an hour a day and then ridicule others who do not engage in this sort of "enjoyment". Actually that would make more sense, because it could be relaxing. Going nearly bumper to bumper on the highway at reduced speeds, or constantly starting, stopping, starting, stopping, honking at people, etc. can't possibly be something a sane person says they enjoy.

And not so much for rain, but certainly for winter conditions, it boggles the mind why someone would be proud of the extra rust and deterioration on their car.

For all of the above driving conditions too - if you don't think their cars are more likely to be in accidents and put back together again then you're kidding yourself. I feel more comfortable doing spirited driving when humpty is whole, not after he had been put back together again by some local body shops and mechanics.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's time for this thread to be locked - anything and everything that could be said about driving in the rain has been voiced.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
No derision should exist. If anything, it should be aimed at people who are mysteriously proud at the fact that they're putting a bunch of pleasureless DD miles on a 100k car in stop and go traffic, or other annoying rush hour traffic conditions. Might as well go sit in your car in the garage for 30 mins or an hour a day and then ridicule others who do not engage in this sort of "enjoyment". Actually that would make more sense, because it could be relaxing. Going nearly bumper to bumper on the highway at reduced speeds, or constantly starting, stopping, starting, stopping, honking at people, etc. can't possibly be something a sane person says they enjoy.

And not so much for rain, but certainly for winter conditions, it boggles the mind why someone would be proud of the extra rust and deterioration on their car.

For all of the above driving conditions too - if you don't think their cars are more likely to be in accidents and put back together again then you're kidding yourself. I feel more comfortable doing spirited driving when humpty is whole, not after he had been put back together again by some local body shops and mechanics.
I believe the point to be this:

Its a mass produced car, which is a transportation device. It cost a lot of money. It is going to lose a lot of money, regardless of miles.

Therefore, people would rather enjoy the car by driving it if its gonna lose value anyway.

I don't really care. I think its sad that I put more miles on my bike than people put on their p-cars in a year, but if thats what they want to do, who cares.

I'd much rather sit in traffic in my benz than the 911, but if its raining, I'll take the porsche.

its just water and the car is well protected from rust. Not to mention that a little surface rust isn't hurting anything.

Quick Reply: Do you drive your Porsche in the rain?