Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    
 
Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
jk335
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 176
Default Remedy for baked on brake dust?

Hi All,

I am usually excellent about brake dust, but a week snuck up on me and now its baked in. What should i use to clean it? A friend suggested cleaner wax. Will this work? a regular wax did not...
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

jk335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
camhabib
User
 
camhabib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 226
Default

Whenever I wash my car, I usually start by spraying on a little P21s gel wheel cleaner and letting it sit for a while before going at it with a sponge. I've had some pretty heavy dust before and it came right off after a bit of elbow grease.
camhabib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member
 
Edgy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 16,626
Default

Wheel cleaners are excellent for this, followed by wax. BUT, it will take a lot of elbow grease to catch up on that stuff. (Hence the reason we shouldn't let it get that far).
__________________
Dan

06 997S PCCB Hard-Top Cabrio
Turq. Blue, Nat. Brn Leather, and loaded!
Edgy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
reynwerkes
User
 
reynwerkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 180
Default

A week of brake dust deposits shouldn't be too bad.
The previous suggestion of P21S gel is a good one. In fact, I usually spray once, let sit, then spray again, let sit, then work off. Remember to use the gel and not the regular watery P21S.
I hate brake dust knowing that it'll deposit itself onto areas where I won't be able to get to unless I remove the wheel. I just change all the pads to some low dust pads. Maybe won't stop as good as Pagid's but I don't track the car so no worries.
Akebono or PBR are what I usually use. So much easier on the wheels and elbow!
reynwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
jugger911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jugger911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Knoxville, Tn.
Posts: 1,863
Default

Works everytime for baked on dust and grime. Can buy it about anywhere, or similar wadding products.
Attached Images
 
__________________

-2002 996 C2, Black/Gray, Bi Xenon Litronic, Heated seats, Smoked Lenses all around. Fabspeed muffler bypass.
-1998 Boxster Black/Black, SOLD
jugger911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
No HTwo O
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 7,304
Default

Put RejeX wax on your wheels, and you'll never need wheel cleaner again. Just warm soapy water.
No HTwo O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
alexb76
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
alexb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynwerkes View Post
A week of brake dust deposits shouldn't be too bad.
The previous suggestion of P21S gel is a good one. In fact, I usually spray once, let sit, then spray again, let sit, then work off. Remember to use the gel and not the regular watery P21S.
I hate brake dust knowing that it'll deposit itself onto areas where I won't be able to get to unless I remove the wheel. I just change all the pads to some low dust pads. Maybe won't stop as good as Pagid's but I don't track the car so no worries.
Akebono or PBR are what I usually use. So much easier on the wheels and elbow!
Agreed. I actually never had any issues removing brake dust after a week. Even after a month, it comes off with some wheel cleaner, elbow grease.

BTW, how's the P21S gel different than regular one? Just stronger? I haven't used the gel, so curious. Wish it was a bit cheaper, I once went through one spray in one wash of a super dirty set of wheels!
alexb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
nyca
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: new york
Posts: 705
Default

The gel "clings" better. I only use the gel now, it makes no sense to use the liquid one which simply washes down the side of the wheel faster, given that the gel is available.
nyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
swajames
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger911 View Post
Works everytime for baked on dust and grime. Can buy it about anywhere, or similar wadding products.
I can understand Nevr-Dull working well on brake dust, but isn't it likely to damage the clearcoat on the wheel?
swajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
camhabib
User
 
camhabib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post
Agreed. I actually never had any issues removing brake dust after a week. Even after a month, it comes off with some wheel cleaner, elbow grease.

BTW, how's the P21S gel different than regular one? Just stronger? I haven't used the gel, so curious. Wish it was a bit cheaper, I once went through one spray in one wash of a super dirty set of wheels!
The gel I believe is both more concentrated and just thicker. It allows the solution to stay on the wheels instead of just running off like a liquid. It still runs, but not nearly as much as the regular cleaner.
camhabib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
ADias
Super User
 
ADias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,090
Default

I use the Porsche wheel cleaner. It works great. It looks like P21S gel. It costs about the same or even a bit less form Sunset Imports.
ADias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Frank A.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 41
Default

I use Simple Green in a spray bottle. Spray a little on, wait a minute or two and then a little gentle scrubbing with a long handled brush dipped in warm water gets it all off. Rinse with the hose and you are done. Economical ($10 a gallon at Home Depot) easy and safe. Couldn't be better

I also put Rejex on my wheels and that may be making it easier too. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank A.
Frank A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
HotLap
User
 
HotLap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SoCal - Ventura County
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
I can understand Nevr-Dull working well on brake dust, but isn't it likely to damage the clearcoat on the wheel?
swajames, ditto...I do use the Eagle One wadding on bare metals (exhaust tips, etc.) but didn't want to take it to clear coated metals...might be a bit harsh? Your tag line sounds familiar - were you over at the E60 or M3Post forums?
HotLap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
reynwerkes
User
 
reynwerkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post
The gel "clings" better. I only use the gel now, it makes no sense to use the liquid one which simply washes down the side of the wheel faster, given that the gel is available.
+1!!!
reynwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
NA011
User
 
NA011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Treasure Island, Florida - Home of the Wide Beach
Posts: 254
Default

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green« on aluminum? Contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes."

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions..._backup=danger

One good test is to try your favorite cleaning product on a sheet of aluminum foil. Leave it on there for 10-20 mins. Some of them will surprise you. Whatever you use rinse with plenty of water. Because some of the cleaner solution can get on unprotected metal parts.
NA011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Rennlist



Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
aluminum, baked, brake, break, clean, dust, grime, home, remedies, remedy, remove, removing, spots, unable, wheel, wheels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 12:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright ę 1998 - 2007 Rennlist.com

Advertise on Rennlist - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs