Sponsored by:

Remedy for baked on brake dust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Put RejeX wax on your wheels, and you'll never need wheel cleaner again. Just warm soapy water.
+1 I agree it's amazing stuff
Old 06-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib
Whenever I wash my car, I usually start by spraying on a little P21s gel wheel cleaner and letting it sit for a while before going at it with a sponge. I've had some pretty heavy dust before and it came right off after a bit of elbow grease.
I am a big fan of the P21s products, however, for really knarly brake dust, MOTHERS wheel cleaners is really good.
I don't know what is is this stuff, but you want to avoid breathing the mist when you spray it.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,3,3

I have found this to work just as well or better than P21S
Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
swajames, ditto...I do use the Eagle One wadding on bare metals (exhaust tips, etc.) but didn't want to take it to clear coated metals...might be a bit harsh? Your tag line sounds familiar - were you over at the E60 or M3Post forums?
Indeed I was, HotLap! I still post over on E60.net even though I replaced the 550 with the 997 a which back. Been a member there for over 5 years now. How time flies...
Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
swajames, ditto...I do use the Eagle One wadding on bare metals (exhaust tips, etc.) but didn't want to take it to clear coated metals...might be a bit harsh?
Yikes - that stuff is harsh - I would not use it on painted surfaces.

A week of brake dust should be no big deal. Although I have been waxing me wheels for so long, I have no idea what it would be like to clean them otherwise. I have not washed mine in a week, and I used a swiffer yesterday to get 90% of the dust off. A few rain spots remain, and they'd probably come off with a wet cloth.

When I wash the car, I use Griots wheel cleaner - very mild and effective, but that gel stuff sounds interesting - will have to check it out.

Bottom line though - wax the wheels and they won't be a big deal to keep clean, relatively speaking. And FWIW, my exhaust tips also look like they have a clear cloat - I wax them as well - no harsh scrubbing there either.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Diluted Meguires wheel brightener.

BD
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

The P21S biggest advantage is that it cleans wheels just as good or better than anything out there, while being super gentle on them, and not harsh at all!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

I use Meguiars hot wheels cleaner and that works just fine for me. I do go through a whole bottle everytime I wash. The spray goes quickly on the 19"s but it always removes everything even after a month of not washing.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I've had pretty good luck using a steamer I picked up at HF (btw, Costco is selling the same unit now with a different brand name). I think the heat helps dislodge the embedded particles...
Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swajames
I can understand Nevr-Dull working well on brake dust, but isn't it likely to damage the clearcoat on the wheel?
He said it was baked on. And he's yet to respond to any posts yet. I've used it on every type of wheel for about 20 years now. Some of those other wadding polishes will take it down to bare metal if that's what you want. I only use it when I need to, which is not often for mine. Friends cars, it works well. Just use it long enough to clean dust, then clean. Some of those wheel cleaners will spot your wheels if left on long enough. Anything harsh enough to remove baked on brake dust from your wheels, can't be good for anything else.

Where the hell is Anthony on this...
Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone using Rejex ( http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html ) instead of tradioanl waxing solutions for not only wheels but entire vehicle? They claim is has better properties and results than waxes.

Looking for feedback.
Thax
Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
Anyone using Rejex ( http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html ) instead of tradioanl waxing solutions for not only wheels but entire vehicle? They claim is has better properties and results than waxes.

Looking for feedback.
Thax
Yes. I use Rejex on the entire car, with great results. I also like using Zaino products for the painted surfaces.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:59 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Wife solves baked on brake dust with white vinegar and cotton *****.

Well, after a long track weekend and longer drive home I was to exhausted to wash the track wheels. As luck would have it it rained on my wheels which I left in the back of the truck.

Next day the Hawk Blue brake dust was "baked" on to my freshing painted track wheels.

I tired all the products and nothing worked. Youtube, RL etc... all good ideas and products. The Hawk Blue stuff is nasty.

I didnt want to scratch the wheels so.... light rubbing only.

Back to wife.

She asked me to trust her and step aside. She soaked strips of cotton in white vinegar and laid them on the wheel rims. She said not to touch them until the moring.

12 hours later the baked on Hawk Blue brake dust was 90% dissolved. Melted away.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Been using Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner ever since I bought it in a combo wash kit and it works great. My guess is that any wheel cleaner will work pretty decent if you use it with some soft brush or microfiber to agitate.

I also use Jescar Power Lock Plus sealant and that tends to help quite a bit as well.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:19 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought Sonax worked really well when I used it. Now on PCCBs so....

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Remedy for baked on brake dust?