Sponsored by:

battery tender install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM
WJuser
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery tender install question

The battery drain from long term parking without use can be avoided by attaching a battery tender I assume? But can I attach the battery tender via the cigar liter and avoid the under hood wire. Is the cigar liter a possible charging port with the ign. ket out?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
camhabib
Instructor

As far as I know, you simply plug the adapter into the car via the cigarette lighter, run the cord through the window or door (very thin so you can close the door right on it without harm), and it trickle charges your battery. No key or other modifications necessary. There are some equally effective generic brand options on ebay if you don't want to pay the Porsche premium.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

camhabib is correct. I have the Porsche model tender and it works great and is convenient. Just plug it into the lighter and run the cord out the window. No need to have the key in the ignition.

You can roll the window all the way up. I have left the cord in the window all winter and it doesn't damage the window seal. There are generic models of the tender available. Search this forum for the names.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the cord over the door sill and just close the door. I could be wrong but it seems that path means less cumulative trauma to the cord and the car's weather strip.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I run mine under the door and it works fine. Two things I learned when I bought mine from my dealer (I'm therefore talking about the Porsche version);

It's NOT a trickle charger it's a battery maintainer. Start with a healthy charged battery (go for a decent run before you plug it in) and you're fine.

When you store your car, lock the car and turn on the alarms. This reduces the draw on the battery. Not locking the car leaves the control units in a 'ready to respond' state and the parasitic draw is high.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
When you store your car, lock the car and turn on the alarms. This reduces the draw on the battery. Not locking the car leaves the control units in a 'ready to respond' state and the parasitic draw is high.
Really? This is good to know. I would have thought the alarm would put more drain on the battery. I have the Porsche battery tender, but usually keep the car unlocked in my garage.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always just run mine under the door, but wrapped the affected portion of wire in some electrical tape just as a precaution. Never had a problem in four years.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 PM
9elf S
Instructor

The bottom front corner of the driver's door sill has a notch intended for battery tender wires.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9elf S
The bottom front corner of the driver's door sill has a notch intended for battery tender wires.
Yep, preferred method.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by 9elf S
WOW, great information how do you guys know all this? I'm going to enjoy this forum a LOT

Quick Reply: battery tender install question