Sponsored by:

997.2 with iPod problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Balloonmeister
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 997.2 with iPod problem

I have a 2010 997.2 with the iPod/Aux/USB connector. I plugged in a brand new iPod Nano (4th generation) two days ago and all was fine through several cycles of the ignition on/off. When I got in the car this morning, I had no iPod connectivity, i.e., the iPod itself said "Connect to Power" (even though it was plugged in) and after pressing the "Disc" button on the PCM, I only see "Disc" and "Aux" displayed and no "iPod" option being displayed or selectable. I disconnected the iPod/USB cable from the car and still no indication on the PCM of iPod when pressing the "Disc" button, though I would have sworn when I first got the car a month ago and pressed the "Disc" button that all three options would display. Questions:
1) I thought that when the iPod was plugged into a connected iPod/USB cable that it would be charging as long as the ignition was on - is that a good assumption?
2) Do those of you using an iPod disconnect the iPod when turning off the ignition or do you just leave it plugged in?
3) Any ideas on why I am no longer seeing "iPod" displayed when pressing the "Disc" button on the PCM and is there a way to get that functionality back absent having the whole darn thing reloaded with its software?
Thanx in advance.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:36 PM
vinnysca
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a menu within the PCM that gives you a choice on what the system will show, even when a device is not connected or not via usb/ipod/aux ports. Your ipod may have been "unselected" so it won't show when you cycle through the source botton. If I recall, if you press the "info" button, then the "option" button, you can then select setting the PCM, then cycle through and you should see several selections of what device will show when you cycle through the disc button.

Vince
Old 05-29-2010, 07:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

1 - Nano needs dual cable and both DIN and USB must be plugged in, AFAIK.
2 - I leave it connected.
3 - Sometimes the system will glitch and the iPod will go into deep sleep and require a RESET - at least mine occasionally does that.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:56 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you connect both the DIN (round) and USB connectors on the cable into your Universal Audio Interface? The USB provides power to charge the iPod. If the iPod discharges, the PCM will not see it.

I leave my iPod plugged in except when I need to sync new music to it, but I also use a battery maintainer so that the iPod doesn't drain the car battery.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine does that at varuios times...

Originally Posted by Balloonmeister
I have a 2010 997.2 with the iPod/Aux/USB connector. I plugged in a brand new iPod Nano (4th generation) two days ago and all was fine through several cycles of the ignition on/off. When I got in the car this morning, I had no iPod connectivity, i.e., the iPod itself said "Connect to Power" (even though it was plugged in) and after pressing the "Disc" button on the PCM, I only see "Disc" and "Aux" displayed and no "iPod" option being displayed or selectable. I disconnected the iPod/USB cable from the car and still no indication on the PCM of iPod when pressing the "Disc" button, though I would have sworn when I first got the car a month ago and pressed the "Disc" button that all three options would display. Questions:
1) I thought that when the iPod was plugged into a connected iPod/USB cable that it would be charging as long as the ignition was on - is that a good assumption?
2) Do those of you using an iPod disconnect the iPod when turning off the ignition or do you just leave it plugged in?
3) Any ideas on why I am no longer seeing "iPod" displayed when pressing the "Disc" button on the PCM and is there a way to get that functionality back absent having the whole darn thing reloaded with its software?
Thanx in advance.

I have the same issue and I use an older version Ipod Nano for 997.2. Sometimes I can get into the car and the Ipod shows up just fine. Other times it takes a minute or two for the Ipod to display in the options. It also resets itself periodically and I lose my last song that was playing.
I have had many several instances where the Ipod doesnt display at all in the options and it is plugged in. In that case if it doesnt show up, I have to reset the Ipod or sometimes disconnect the cable and wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. Either way it can be annoying if your are ready to get moving.
I haven't taken the car for this issue because I leave the Nano in car all the time. I do think it is most likely the Nano and the fact that I leave it in the car fulltime.
Do you leave your in the car fulltime?
Do you use the newer cable as I use the original cable and just haven't switch the cables yet?
Does your Ipod crash when you have the symptom of not displaying in the options?

Sorry I cant follow you closely as I leave for vacation tomorrow, but hopefully some else can help you out until my return.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Balloonmeister
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanx to all who responded. Here's what I found out:
1) I was able to reselect the display of "iPod" by going to Disc/Set Disc/Aux and checking the iPod box (I left Aux and USB unchecked since I don't use those sources). It now displays iPod in the bottom of the PCM tray when I depress the Disc button.
2) thanx to those who advised to connect BOTH the Din and USB connectors. I wasn't doing that therefore the battery went down on the iPod. I'll hook it up that way tomorrow and we'll see what happens.
Thanx again to all.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The setting in the DISC menu before was fine also. What it means when you don't get the IPOD option as you cycle through the DISC screens is that there is no functioning IPOD plugged in, that is, the ipod is probably dead or asleep. Only when the ipod is booted up and operational does the option show up on the menu.

Since the PCM3 doesn't play well with ipod sleeping, ie it doesn't support that in any meaningful way, the ipod will likely just run its battery down over several days of non-use and then when you get it, the first thing the ipod needs to do is get enough charge off of the connection to reboot itself. Once its done that, THEN the ipod option will show up in the sequence of presses of the DISC button.

But as you said, if your intent is to listen to the ipod, you want to be able to select IPOD as the source even though there is no operational ipod there yet so that as you drive down the road, when the ipod has booted up, it will then become available without you having to repeatedly check :is it there yet.... is it there yet
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by SY-997
Did you connect both the DIN (round) and USB connectors on the cable into your Universal Audio Interface? The USB provides power to charge the iPod. If the iPod discharges, the PCM will not see it.

I leave my iPod plugged in except when I need to sync new music to it, but I also use a battery maintainer so that the iPod doesn't drain the car battery.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this...will try tomorrow..
Old 10-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Gahewson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry music stops after 2miutes

I've found that whilst my Ipod is showing when I play music the song wil stop after 2minutes and 2 seconds and then again after 4mins and 3 secs. I've tried all the other recommendations of cleaning the sockets and leads, making sure the conectors are fully engaged (I use both the DIN and USB), the Ipod is fully charged. I use the correct connecting lead - Porsche OEM. I even bought another Ipod nano and it did the same thing as i thought the battery on my original Ipod may just have given up. I have found that if i connect the ipod to a computer for a while and then plug it back in to the car it works but then reverts back to the problem above later that day.
I had asssumed this might be a battery issue but as it is plugged in then that shouldn't matter.
I've got a 997.2 with PCM 3.0. Am getting really hacked off now although i'm tempted to buy another iPod as I've got a 5th Gen Ipod Nano and assuming it might be this as an olde gen iPod? I've reset to factory codes and am now running out of ideas.

Quick Reply: 997.2 with iPod problem