Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugggh...feeling buyer's remorse (a little)...need advice please (tad long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugggh...feeling buyer's remorse (a little)...need advice please (tad long, sorry)

OK, so here is the deal (sorry for the long post)...

As I posted earlier, I am the proud (still proud) new owner of a 2007 CPO C2 tip. BUT, I keep wondering if I shouldn't have waited a tad and bought a C2S. Another dealer has a 2007 CPO C2S tip (pretty much naked) and is asking about $5k more than I paid for my C2.

Specs (both silver over black):

Spec............Mine............C2S
Miles............33K.............23K
Options........chrono.........sport seats
...................bose
...................power seats
...................CD chgr

So, am I just creating a endless cycle of upgraditis for myself or would there be real value in buying an S with 10K less miles for, let's assume I eat at least $3k on my new purchase, so $8k difference?

FWIW, my plan (going into my recent purchase) is to purchase a nice, low-mile 2009 PDK C2S in a year or two and I am most concerned about resale value on my 2007. I use it as my daily driver and will end up putting 9-10k miles per year on it, so I'm looking at selling a 50k+ mile 2007 base Carrera in 2 years vs. a 40k+ C2S in the same timeframe.

I would certainly like the extra juice of the S (especially in the tip, as its noticeably slower off the line than a manual, but manual is just not an option), but I don't want to just **** away money. And does the chrono pkg in my C2 help at all with acceleration, seeing as its a tip? Or is it more visceral than actual - i.e. marketing ploy with no punch? Because I'd certainly not want to spend more money on a car that won't give me better noticeably better feedback and throttle response.

In sum, I am pretty sure I am just being a whiny, unappreciative idiot - as I am now driving my childhood dream car - but I would nonetheless like the perspectives of other knowledgeable P-car owners regarding my purchase.

Thanks in advance and sorry again for the long post (I am obviously both excited and very passionate about my purchase)!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After buying your car, you should stop looking at classifieds for a while. You'll always find other deals emerging that 'if only I would have seen this one...' and instead, focus on enjoying your car.

You have an amazing car, its just as good as the car you test drove, and now you should go enjoy the hell out of it for the next couple years and for the immediate future, forget about other deals out there.

Others have posted that the S has a little more incremental power, but not so much so that it makes the difference night/day. It's essentially the same car still.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a C2 manual and can't say there's a night and day difference between it and an S.

Its a tiptronic and will only appeal to a certain contingent of buyers when time comes to sell so either way I don't think the price difference will be all that different between the S and non-S. Again, the buyer will be specific.

Don't look back... enjoy the car and buy the PDK as soon as you can. They will hold their value far better than the tip if everything pans out with reliability on PDK.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

I think in may cost you more to flip than you expect.

Trying to mitigate depreciation in any vehicle is a noble if not impossible task- but it's going to be your greatest expense in owning any high end car.

In non-turbo cars, SC makes the throttle respond quicker to input. It does not create any addition power, only the perception of it.

The power difference adds up to only a few tenths of a second in acceleration. While your butt dyno may slightly feel it, it's not enough to rock your DD world. Now if you were going from a C2 to a turbo/SC or a GT2-that's rockin. Zero to 60 times in the 3's get me all tingly.

Be happy that you picked a well sorted car and drive the pee out of it.

BD
Old 04-01-2010, 12:05 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Clever my shaggy friend.....you gotta let this go. I know the feeling of the endless cycle of "what about this" or that or something else within the Porsche family. i had a 996 carrera that was pretty loaded, and loved it. i had a chance at a very very loaded C2S that I now have, took it, and will probably drive this thing until the day i die. If you drive it enough I think you will be fine with what you have for a while. If your real goal is a PDK C2S then i wouldn't worry about a gap car in between. Drive this one until the pdk C2S is in range. There is not a huge difference between the C2 and C2S in the 997.1 so IMO you would be wise not to take the 8k bath for something that is also a go between car until you get the PDK car. Now go drive what you have and stop worrying about this.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Pretty much everyone has confirmed my suspicion.

I am an idiot with "S" envy.

As this is certainly my bridge dream car to what is my dream dream car, a PDK C2S, I will shut up and enjoy the ride while she is in my stable.

Hell, I may end up keeping her for the wife if I take too big a hit on the trade/sale.

Thanks all!! Very much appreciated!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Like others have said, you should just keep your C2 if your plan is to upgrade to a PDK in a year or two. I can't see any reason to pay that kind of price delta on a transition car.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep it.

Drive it.

Enjoy it.

And like jsmirand suggested, stop looking at the classifieds for awhile. It will just drive you crazy. Time to relax and enjoy the awesome car you just purchased.

Phil
Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche 911's are just like women....

Just when you thought you found the most beautiful and perfect model ever
created, you turn the corner and find two more which are better looking,
have more desirable options, and are overall a much better package.

Enjoy what you have. The 997 C2 is an outstanding car that very, very
few people will ever have the absolute pleasure of owning.

And if you have to have envy, I suggest GT3 envy over mere "S" envy. It's much more justified.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You know what? I'm going to die in 25-35 years. I really should have asked Kathy Morrison for a date back in High School. Now I'm stuck with this wife and family of mine.

Nah. Enjoy the car. Porsche-wise we're all going to be outdated AND we all have inferior Porsches thanks to that damned CGT!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Clever - unless you track the car the difference between an S and the regular Carrera is virtually nil. Enjoy the car. The Mk II PDK is a worthy goal. I would not jump to an S Tip and delay acquisition of the 997.2 PDK.

Best,
Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with everyone else. Best path forward is to drive the snot out of your C2 and be building a mental list of all the things you want to spec on your PDK car in a few years. You should join us out at MSR Houston on April 17/18, too. http://www.thedriversedge.net/02_tracks.htm register to drive, or minimally just bring your C2 by and spectate on of the two days.

Unrelated: I see Bob's avatar finally reflects the new RS. Yay!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would more be regretting buying tip than a 6 spd, than regretting buying a C2. C2 is awesome and very fast. The biggest factor in performance -- as others have pointed out here -- is the the driver not the car. FWIW, back when I purchased in 07, the difference b/n a used 997.1 C2 and C2S was roughly 10% or $5-7K. So, the price comparison doesn't surprise me.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:34 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 388 Likes on 165 Posts

Clever - you own a Porsche and not only that a Carrera which is the most classic name in the heritage of the 911. I love mine and to be honest don't fancy a "S" as I'm doing my own mods. For the difference in performance I'd suggest as others have and enjoy your present car for a while and upgrade to a PDK later.

Life's too short so enjoy it and drive it!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Your optioned C2 is better than naked 'S'. Relax and drive your car.

If you want to upgrade - get '09 C2S with PDK and sport chrono. That would worth spending some money on.

Quick Reply: Ugggh...feeling buyer's remorse (a little)...need advice please (tad long, sorry)