Sponsored by:

Gundo hack using 1" pipe versus 2" pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM
inlandsurf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charha01
Anyone know of a place in the Seattle area that does this type of work?
Charha01, did you ever find a place in the Seattle Area?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 AM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had mine done in Dans muffler in Bellevue. No appointment and had to drop the car of. You can also get it done at chriss German for 2x of Dans. Btw - I am selling a sharkwerks bypass for .2 in case you are interested
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

exgtinows4 - If you can, could you tell me what the charge was and were you happy with the results of the work at Dans?
Thanks
Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have OEM 997.2 C4S exhaust cans for sale in the classifieds section.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:20 PM
ZCPSnob
Instructor

Great thread with good info and pics.

Is there a disadvantage of just cutting the muffler off completely and routing the exhaust from the inlet directly to the outlet? Is the sound obnoxious/drone?
Old 10-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Any muffler shop can do it. Even if they haven't ever done it before, any decent welder with about 18" of scrap stainless pipe can do the hack. If you're able to remove the mufflers yourself, you'll save yourself hundreds. Just call a couple muffler shops and ask if they've done the hack before. If not, drop by with a picture and see what they say.

I removed my mufflers and took them to a local exhaust shop. They did the hack for, IIRC, something like $60 or $70.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Ducati_John
Advanced

No mufflers would be really loud. I think mine is pretty loud just with a 2" bypass plus Sharkwerks bypass.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCPSnob
Great thread with good info and pics.

Is there a disadvantage of just cutting the muffler off completely and routing the exhaust from the inlet directly to the outlet? Is the sound obnoxious/drone?
I tried that temporarily, by simply removing the side mufflers, but still utilizing the center muffler. It sounded like crap, tremendous irritating drone, could not stand it more than 5 minutes. Now would the a additional piping and tailpipe, as you are proposing, subdue the drone to a tolerable level, I doubt it.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 PM
ZCPSnob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wolfk
I tried that temporarily, by simply removing the side mufflers, but still utilizing the center muffler. It sounded like crap, tremendous irritating drone, could not stand it more than 5 minutes. Now would the a additional piping and tailpipe, as you are proposing, subdue the drone to a tolerable level, I doubt it.
To be clear, I'm talking about doing the equivalent of this offering. Again, not sure how they are charging $1,400 for 10" of stainless tubing.

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-...-bypass-pipes/
Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCPSnob
To be clear, I'm talking about doing the equivalent of this offering. Again, not sure how they are charging $1,400 for 10" of stainless tubing.

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-...-bypass-pipes/
This is what we call "The Porsche Tax".
Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 289 Posts

For anyone interested - I've had a Gundo set of 997.2 mufflers for sale for a while:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-mufflers.html
Old 10-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
This is what we call "The Porsche Tax".
Exactly. Of course, they're polished, so, that's got to be worth an extra grand or so. I guess there are other mods that give you 15 hp more or even less that cost that much, so on a per-hp basis, maybe that's a good price? On principle, I wouldn't pay that for two lengths of pipe--even if they are stainless, mandrel-bent and polished.

I've got nothing against that company or their products, but I listened to their drive-by video and it seemed to me that at almost all RPMs, there was a distinct and LOUD farty tone to the exhaust. There were sweet spots where the exhaust sounded great, but maybe 90% of the time in that video, the sound was overwhelmingly flatulent.

That sound happens with the stock exhaust, by the way. I couldn't hear it from inside the car but when I let someone drive my car, I heard it, and when I drove beside concrete Jersey barriers, I could hear it echoing back at me. I think the best reason for doing the Gundo hack is that whatever is changed with the pressures and flow in the exhaust, the hack seems to almost eliminate that farty tone.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 PM
ZCPSnob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Iceter
Exactly. Of course, they're polished, so, that's got to be worth an extra grand or so. I guess there are other mods that give you 15 hp more or even less that cost that much, so on a per-hp basis, maybe that's a good price? On principle, I wouldn't pay that for two lengths of pipe--even if they are stainless, mandrel-bent and polished.

I've got nothing against that company or their products, but I listened to their drive-by video and it seemed to me that at almost all RPMs, there was a distinct and LOUD farty tone to the exhaust. There were sweet spots where the exhaust sounded great, but maybe 90% of the time in that video, the sound was overwhelmingly flatulent.

That sound happens with the stock exhaust, by the way. I couldn't hear it from inside the car but when I let someone drive my car, I heard it, and when I drove beside concrete Jersey barriers, I could hear it echoing back at me. I think the best reason for doing the Gundo hack is that whatever is changed with the pressures and flow in the exhaust, the hack seems to almost eliminate that farty tone.
I would definitely agree that the sound from their videos of the complete bypass isn't desirable to me.

They also offer a $1,100 center/primary muffler bypass that looks a little more involved, and sounds a lot better. I wonder how it would sound with that and a 1" Gundo bypass...

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-...bypass-x-pipe/
Old 01-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I'm working with SuperMax in Chicago. They have to order the stainless pipe - nobody I called in Chicago had this in stock. Although I was hoping for 1.5", SuperMax can only get 2", so that's what I'm going with. The cost is $220 not including the pipe, and I'm doing all the labor. While I can probably get this done cheaper, elsewhere, it's a pretty big hassle and a bit of a risk for a shop to take on custom work. That, and $275 for an exhaust modification on a Porsche is still incredible value.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:53 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listened to countless youtube Gundo hacked cars and 2 in person and yet to hear one I like. Most remind me of an old fishing boat on it's last legs. Two low and gurgly... Just sayin...

Quick Reply: Gundo hack using 1" pipe versus 2" pipe