Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tan Interior - Paint for Plastic Surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

isnt this just regular latex household paint ?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM
elliot_holeer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow!

Wow - $140CAD is quite a lot.

Thanks for all your help Matthew, for $140 I will just keep exploring options in the UK. Much appreciated.

If I do reach the point where all options are exhausted, I'll let you know.

Thanks again..
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

As to the cause...i am guessing it is from the passenger or driver (can't quite get my barings based on the photos) hitting the console with the seat belt clasp. This is something I do on my Acura...and after 8 years...it's a bit beat up.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Good question. I didn't do anything to scratch the interrior!!! The previous owner did.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the hell he doing

-T
judging from my experience in my swb Mitsubishi, he had dogs

And thanks for the DIY!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Ledenon
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

So does walking into a home depot and showing this:

BEHR
Base: 2-1853

Prem Pls Int Flat Enamel

CLRNT B C F KX
OZ 0 1 0 1
384th 133 94 74 87

will be enough?

Thanks

Greg
Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ledenon
Hello,

So does walking into a home depot and showing this:

BEHR

Prem Pls Int Flat Enamel

CLRNT B C F KX
OZ 0 1 0 1
384th 133 94 74 87

will be enough?

Thanks

Greg
When I saw this thread couple years ago, I took my ashtray to Home Depot and asked them to match the paint. They gave me a small sample bottle of Behr Ultra Premium. It was a good match ... not perfectionist perfect, but good enough that none of your passengers will notice if you don't point it out. Can't go wrong, if it doesn't work, you're out $4 plus tax.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

On the shipping question, we get this all the time. Makes no difference how you go...it's considered hazardous and either you have a permit to ship it, or you should find someone who does. Some companies in your area might ship chemicals on a regular basis. If you find one, drop in and ask....you never know.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Royraiden
AutoX

Great News!

I now have an the paint formula for the tan interrior plastic surfaces (e.g., center console).

I took my ashtray cover to Home Depot and they used a spectrometer to analyze it and what they came up with is a perfect match. I've done touchups and frankly you can't tell where the new paint was applied.

I'll see if I can get some pictures but frankly you won't be able to tell anything from them. The paint match is that good!

Here's what the can says on it:

BEHR

Prem Pls Int Flat Enamel

CLRNT B C F KX
OZ 0 1 0 1
384th 133 94 74 87

I used a small sponge paint applicator.

I am so glad I don't have to look at a bunch of scratches any longer.

-T
Sorry to revive the old thread but I just went to Home Depot and the guy told me he couldnt get the exact color from the information provided above.Can anyone help, I know absolutely nothing about paint.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Royraiden
Sorry to revive the old thread but I just went to Home Depot and the guy told me he couldnt get the exact color from the information provided above.Can anyone help, I know absolutely nothing about paint.
i have a Home Depot sample bottle of Sand Beige made up by bringing in the rear seat cushion that just pops off. If you text me I'll send you a paint lid photo that shows the formula. Can send tomorrow or take your cushion to HD. Text me 315-246-3173.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Royraiden
AutoX

Originally Posted by mike cap
i have a Home Depot sample bottle of Sand Beige made up by bringing in the rear seat cushion that just pops off. If you text me I'll send you a paint lid photo that shows the formula. Can send tomorrow or take your cushion to HD. Text me 315-246-3173.
Thanks for the kind offer, though mine is Tan.I guess I will just have to show up to Home Depot with the ash tray lid as others have done.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:34 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Royraiden
Thanks for the kind offer, though mine is Tan.I guess I will just have to show up to Home Depot with the ash tray lid as others have done.
Bring the seat cushion - the bigger surface works better in their machine and will give them a more accurate scan. Is there a "Tan" interior? Isn't it "Sand Beige"?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 PM
Royraiden
AutoX

Forgive my ignorance as Im not familiar with the color codes.I also apologize for not stating that Im looking to do this on my 987 Cayman.I did remove the ash tray so Ill take that to the store, I was surprised by how easily that part came off btw, no tools or excessive force needed, very good.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Royraiden
AutoX

Great News!

I now have an the paint formula for the tan interrior plastic surfaces (e.g., center console).

I took my ashtray cover to Home Depot and they used a spectrometer to analyze it and what they came up with is a perfect match. I've done touchups and frankly you can't tell where the new paint was applied.

I'll see if I can get some pictures but frankly you won't be able to tell anything from them. The paint match is that good!

Here's what the can says on it:

BEHR

Prem Pls Int Flat Enamel

CLRNT B C F KX
OZ 0 1 0 1
384th 133 94 74 87

I used a small sponge paint applicator.

I am so glad I don't have to look at a bunch of scratches any longer.

-T
What size was the container you bought?I brought the codes to the local home depot and they couldnt figure it out.I also brought my ash tray a few days ago and got a "match" but it was a bit darker than it should have been when applied
Old 03-03-2017, 11:01 AM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by elliot_holeer
Hi all,

Really struggling to try and source some of the paint mentioned in the first post.
Search high & Low all across the UK for a stockist of BEHR paint, or somewhere who could mix it appropriately, and cannot find anywhere!

If anyone is kind enough to help me out with getting some mixed up from Home Depot, and sending across the pond to UK, it would be much appreciated, and I'd obviously make it worthwhile.
There is nothing special about Behr paint. It is simply a brand that Home Depot bought. Any paint shop can mix custom paint for you.

I actually had luck with getting hobby shop paint brushes that were ultra thin and filled in scratches on my old car.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:53 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Royraiden,

Print this out or save it on your phone and walk it into Home Depot. It is an exact match to Sand Beige on my 2008 997. Credit goes to another Rennlister. I also tried to go in with a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper..but the paint gal messed it up twice before a senior paint person knew how to read the proper codes. Best $5 you will ever spend. Do yourself a favor and clean the surface with Windex or rubbing alcohol to get rid of any finger grease, grime etc. I used a small hobby brush. The Matte finish hides a lot of imperfections. Its an 8 ounce can, the size of a whiskey glass...also listed on the label.

Quick Reply: Tan Interior - Paint for Plastic Surfaces