Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colorado Springs to Dallas - best route?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Colorado Springs to Dallas - best route?

I may be driving a new car back to Dallas from Colorado Springs. Google Maps shows two routes -- one takes I70 east from Colorado Springs to I35 South at Salina, KS to Dallas, the other takes I25 South from Colorado Springs to I40 east in Amarillo to I35 south at Oklahoma City. Any experience with which route is a better drive? Both take the same amount of time, about 14.5 hours according to Google Maps. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I would go south on 25 thru the Raton pass and then pickup I 40 and go east and then take the cutoff to Dallas (skipping OKC). (It's a prettier route. But watch the weather because of the elevation of the Raton Pass south of Pueblo (where you would enter NM).
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dan. My grandad lived in Salina and I've visited many times but that was the only reason to ever go there. That KS drive is pretty dull and can get some bad weather, too. I'd head south if the mtn weather is favorable, and consider waiting a day if it isn't.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree, but watch the weather. Raton pass is normally clear but the open two lane road from Raton through Dumas and Dalhart may be slower to be cleared in the case of snow.Nice twisty drive though, I did it in June going to and from Parade and I was towing, still no problem except the narrowing of I 25 around Trinidad because of construction. If there is any chance of a storm you may want to consider going east from the Springs and catch I 35. Longer and does mean going through Okla City but the interstates will normally be cleared first. Have a great trip.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

I prefer the more scenic route, down to I-40 to 287 on down. A few small towns to drive through, but a much more enjoyable drive.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts

Why would anybody want to travel from Colorado to Texas?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 AM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken both routes and neither are very exciting. I usually take the route Dan & Sean mentioned --- I-40 to Amarillo then southeast on 287 to Dallas. There were a ton of cops on my last trip through there in September, and keep in mind that you continuously have to slow down through small towns. A good radar detector will be your best friend. If you want a short drive from CO the first day and don't mind a weather risk and going a bit out of the way, I've always liked stopping in Santa Fe as a little break coming from Denver or the CO mountain resorts.

The I-70 route to Salina and then south through Wichita and OKC is absolutely mind-numbing. OKC has more to offer than you'd think if you're looking for a place to stay overnight, then it's a quick shot down I-35 to Dallas (also heavily-patrolled as you approach Denton).
Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
brutusflash
Advanced

I made that drive this summer. I'd take 25 south to Raton, and then I think you pick up 87 east eventually to Dumas, Tx then Amarillo and 287, if you don't want to take interstates the entire way. It was great in a convertible. It should take about 12 hrs.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
brutusflash
Advanced

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I agree, but watch the weather. Raton pass is normally clear but the open two lane road from Raton through Dumas and Dalhart may be slower to be cleared in the case of snow.Nice twisty drive though, I did it in June going to and from Parade and I was towing, still no problem except the narrowing of I 25 around Trinidad because of construction. If there is any chance of a storm you may want to consider going east from the Springs and catch I 35. Longer and does mean going through Okla City but the interstates will normally be cleared first. Have a great trip.
and what he said. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If it were the summertime that you were considering this trek I once took a drive from OKC to the Springs via the most direct routing--literally avoiding the interstates. You would basically drive east out of Colorado Springs and slowly work yourself to the SSE, ultimately entering Oklahoma just east of its panhandle and then enter OKC via Northwest Expressway. Then pick up I35 south to Dallas.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brutusflash
I made that drive this summer. I'd take 25 south to Raton, and then I think you pick up 87 east eventually to Dumas, Tx then Amarillo and 287, if you don't want to take interstates the entire way. It was great in a convertible. It should take about 12 hrs.
This is the route I took this summer back and forth from Dallas to Aspen. Towing my pcar on a trailer. Very easy, very fast, and somewhat senic. Can't speak to the roads in inclement weather.

Have a great drive.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did it twice this summer down 25-over to amarillo - and once on the I-40 on the way to colorado when I was moving from Louisiana - went up thru dallas...

everyone has it nailed - take the I-25 -
Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
Why would anybody want to travel from Colorado to Texas?
That's where my garage is

I did pull the trigger on the car and am deciding drive vs ship. I'm leaning towards shipping because it is winter and I don't want to get caught.

I drove my ex-C4S back from Miami and got caught in the worst thunderstom ever on Alligator Alley. 18-wheelers were sliding off the highway into the swamp. Fortunately being a C4S, the car ignored these conditions and drove solid as a rock like it was a perfect day. However, I don't want that to happen with a C2 S and snow.

Here is a pic of my new wheels where it is now in Colorado Srpings.
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
I may be driving a new car back to Dallas from Colorado Springs. Google Maps shows two routes -- one takes I70 east from Colorado Springs to I35 South at Salina, KS to Dallas, the other takes I25 South from Colorado Springs to I40 east in Amarillo to I35 south at Oklahoma City. Any experience with which route is a better drive? Both take the same amount of time, about 14.5 hours according to Google Maps. Thanks!
Agree with others. I-25 to I-70 then east to I-35 and down mind numbing.

A better route is I-25 down to Las Vegas NM then on 84 to I-40 then east is better to Santa Rosa, NM and south on 84 to Clovis and on into TX and Lubbock and down to I-20 then over to Dallas is one. (Took this route in Sept. on drive to Fredricksburg TX from Livermore CA though of course I came east right across on I-40 and dropped south at Santa Rosa and at I-20 at Abilene I jumped off I-20 and continued south. But another time I took 84 north from I-40 to I-25 and then drove on into CO. I've gone east from Colo. Springs and I've dropped south at Limon (on I-70) and drove east on state highways.)

However, you have winter to deal with.

I got caught in an ice/snow storm on I-40 and ended up getting the last motel room in Shamrock one winter. I-40 so slick that even moving along at barely idle in 4th gear in my 06 GTO when I would release pressure on gas pedel engine compression would cause rear tires to break loose. Very very slick. And very very scary. (You would not believe how fast some people were driving on this stuff. And not getting away with it, either. From my hand held CB radio I was picking up reports from further west -- my direction -- of spin outs, accidents, and even some big rigs stuck on the off ramp unable to move away/out of the way because of the icy conditions.

Many say the freeways are taken care of first, but this is not the case based on my experience in TX. The truckers claim in TX the feeling is that God put the snow/ice on the freeways and only God can take it off.

While I-40 was iced over completely I managed to take the exit just west of Shamrock I found the surface streets had been gritted/sanded and salted. Traction was still iffy but way way better than the freeway.

Next morning to my surprise I found I-40 still iced over. I thought it would be ok and got on I-40 in Shamrock and found the roadway still icy and untreated. For the 2nd time I took the next exit west of Shamrock and went back to motel and hung around motel until I got bored and drove a few blocks to downtown Shamrock and then south through town. Roads were still messy/slushy but enough pavement showing traction was ok. Road got much better just a mile outside of town (south) and I was in contact -- I travel with hand held CB radio -- with a big rig truck driver who told me roads clear just a mile or so further south of where I was.

Headed south and sure enough roads clear. So I drove south on 83 until 203 then east to 287 and up 287 into Amarillo. Roads clear all the way save for a bit of frost where the bare tree branches shaded the road from the sun.

Point is you can't trust all freeways to be clear before other roads/highways are.

If weather questionable then stay on the freeway but if you run into bad weather, road conditions, get off quick and stop and get a motel room pronto -- they fill up fast when the weather/road turns bad -- or turn around and go north and then east, or west then south, or some other direction, if this doesn't put you into worse weather or into the path of the storm.

If weather changing, and looking like it is getting worse, I stop at motels/hotels and check the weather channel to get a feel for the road conditions I'm heading into.

If you get off the freeway drive carefully always and watch for icy patches in spots where the road shaded. Watch for deer, etc. And watch for "bear traps" through every town or other spot in the road where the limit drops from the daytime max speed limit. And if you drive at night in TX -- as you must know -- the 65mph night time limit strictly enforced.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
tkids
Pro

I agree with Dan. You go 287 out of Amarillo toward Dallas. I did that drive a dozen years ago, but thought it was fine. If you go I70, it is wide open roads with little traffic to Salina, no thinking driving! Speed limit in CO on I70 is 75mph, KS is 70mph on the interstate 70. If you do that, stop at Colby for a Starbucks at the Oasis truck stop. Very weather dependent trip!

Pics: Oasis truck stop Colby KS. & WB I 70.

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Colorado Springs to Dallas - best route?