Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM ipod connect for PCM 3.0 question regarding new/old cable for.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OEM ipod connect for PCM 3.0 question regarding new/old cable for.....

i have a 997.2 with PCM 3.0, XM but no iPod connect yet..

getting sick of creating CD's to listen to for the car since all my music is on itunes.. was going to get the Ipod connect when i bought the car but it was just all too much stuff at once going on and i didnt..

been debating getting it now again, but want to make sure i get the right cable when i get it..

from my understanding they have the old cable that works on all older ipods (charges them while driving) and they have the newer cable that works on the 3G products..

i am thinking about getting the (previous generation) Nano: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MTA4MzQxNjg

does anyone know if this ipod would use the new cable or the old cable? or does the new cable work on both new and old?

thank you.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

The new cable works fine with either new or old iPods/iPhone. I have one and have tested it with an older iPod Photo, a 6 Gen iPod, and a 3GS iPhone.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:54 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
The new cable works fine with either new or old iPods/iPhone. I have one and have tested it with an older iPod Photo, a 6 Gen iPod, and a 3GS iPhone.
awesome, i heard it was a different pin layout that caused the new ones not to charge.. so i wasnt sure that with the new cable if the old ones would still charge.

thank you.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The pin layout is the same on them.... its a matter of which pins in the idock connector have what signals applied to them.

The DIN connector that plugs into the car provided 12v charging power on the IEEE1394 pin on the idock connector. The newer generation idevices no longer support that pin (for some unclear reason).. so they just don't take advantage of that charging power.. though its still there. Older idevices use that pin for charging (and can also charge form the 5v pin described below)

The newer cables also have a USB tail on them that plugs into the USB connector of the audio interface on the car, and this provides a 5v charging power signal on a different pin of the idock connector. The newer idevices only look to that idock pin for charging, so you have to have the USB tail plugged in to get charging power (and the DIN tail plugged in to get the control and connection to the PCM3). (older idevices can also charge form this pin.).

The old cable (2 ends) provides charging power only to the 12v IEEE1394 pin of the idock connector.
The new cable (3 ends) provides charging power to the 12V IEEE1394 and 5v USB pins of the idock connector.

With either cable and any idevice, as far as I know, if you park the car for a week, the device will run out its battery and restart when you power the car again (as the idevice is not put to sleep state by the PCM)

Quick Reply: OEM ipod connect for PCM 3.0 question regarding new/old cable for.....