Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

System Fault... A few questions... & Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have provided updates to my earlier post (in red in the original post) based on my information and experience. If anybody else has anything to add then please do so.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, I am afraid I am now a new victim of the defective Front Control unit. In my case, it happened while vacuuming the front cooling tunnels, leading to the radiators. After doing so, I heard a grinding noise coming from the front of the car. I quickly discovered that it was the emergency release motor to open the trunk lid.

My car is a 2006 C4S and I beleive it was built around October 2005.

Other side effects are: Taillights and License plate lights are on all the time, day or night. When activating the turn lights, the tail lights will go off, and come back as soon as you are done with the blinker.

I had to remove the front spoiler to stop the noise of coffee grinder, that happens even with the car parked and ignition off. Very annoying and frankly ridiculous from a car manufacturer.

I called my dealer in Cary NC, and was told I was looking at $500 upward unless I had an extended warranty, which I do not have (having bought a used car).

This is the kind of things that makes you wish you had spent your money on a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord instead.

I think I will write to Porsche America to express my frustration with their lousily designed electronics.

Yves
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Well, I am afraid I am now a new victim of the defective Front Control unit. In my case, it happened while vacuuming the front cooling tunnels, leading to the radiators. After doing so, I heard a grinding noise coming from the front of the car. I quickly discovered that it was the emergency release motor to open the trunk lid.

My car is a 2006 C4S and I beleive it was built around October 2005.

Other side effects are: Taillights and License plate lights are on all the time, day or night. When activating the turn lights, the tail lights will go off, and come back as soon as you are done with the blinker.

I had to remove the front spoiler to stop the noise of coffee grinder, that happens even with the car parked and ignition off. Very annoying and frankly ridiculous from a car manufacturer.

I called my dealer in Cary NC, and was told I was looking at $500 upward unless I had an extended warranty, which I do not have (having bought a used car).

This is the kind of things that makes you wish you had spent your money on a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord instead.
I think I will write to Porsche America to express my frustration with their lousily designed electronics.

Yves
I bought a Honda Accord almost 3 years ago, and believe me, I would rather have your problem with a Porsche than no problems with a Honda. The Accord is a dependable car, but totally devoid of any excitement. Absolutely no soul!

I'll swap with you.... even up!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Tim,

I know what you mean. I rode in a Honda Accord once and never found a duller car. It is simply a board with 4 wheels. Maybe the 6 Cylinders version is more exciting, but I agree with you, nothing beats a Porsche.

I had a blast this morning with it and can live (at least for a while) with a defective front control module.

It is just disappointing that Porsche cannot hire good electronic engineers or select good parts from other vendors. This kind of gremlins does not have its place on a $100K car.

Yves
Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

By the way, for those of you who have replaced this unit:

Does it require some kind of re-programming when installed on the car, or will it run straight out of the box/bag?

Just curious as I would love to skip the expensive Dealer intervention.

Thanks
Yves
Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me the first time I washed the car.
Was quite a downer...
Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
By the way, for those of you who have replaced this unit:

Does it require some kind of re-programming when installed on the car, or will it run straight out of the box/bag?

Just curious as I would love to skip the expensive Dealer intervention.

Thanks
Yves
I'm at the dealer at this precise moment and will confirm the situation and solution as soon as I have news. It shouldn't take long, I will post the details this afternoon.

But from my first discussion with the dealer, this front control unit is not on warranty (I have a CPO until 2013).

UPDATE :
The dealer changed the FCU and it was indeed covered by my CPO including all charges. So i'm very happy about this and I can confirm that it is the same part number as was indicated at the beginning of this thread - Front Control Unit Module : 99761010511 and the original part number was 99761010505.

Finally, I can confirm that the mechanic also said that the car was totally safe to drive as this unit has no "direct" link with engine/transmission components.

Thanks for all the great information guys, great team work!

Last edited by deijmaster; 05-17-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Deijmaster,

By the way I never took my car to the dealer. Instead I bought the Durametric tool (enthusiast version for $300) and performed a global reset after confirming according to the diagnostics that the Front End Module needed to be replaced.

Miracle: After the global reset, communications with the front end module resumed, rear lights went off and all is Hunky Dory again.

I suspect Porsche dealer have only one thing in their minds: replace as many parts as possible and charge you as much as they can.

The best $300 I have ever spent.

Yves
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so not suprised by this... I will go with that kit and make sure I stay curious 'cause dealers always want to change components and this is not always for the best, play with this break that, etc.

One more sale for durametric!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't see how a flawed design isn't covered under a warranty. A control unit that breaks as a result of normal, non-destructive life (ie you didn't dig into the unit, fiddle with its connectors, etc) is a bad design and should be replaced by a redesigned part by the manufacturer. If not, then whole product is crappy. Is Porsche building crappy cars?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I bought a Honda Accord almost 3 years ago, and believe me, I would rather have your problem with a Porsche than no problems with a Honda. The Accord is a dependable car, but totally devoid of any excitement. Absolutely no soul!

I'll swap with you.... even up!
accord is a pretty nimble car, it can go reasonably fast if you know how to power drive a FWD car. there are much worse cars than accord out there. plus any car has as much 'soul' as much time and work and $ you put into it.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Pcar416
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if the front control module needs to be programmed by the dealer?

Quick Reply: System Fault... A few questions... & Update