Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stigma of owning/driving a 997...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Stigma of owning/driving a 997...

First post here... so hello everyone!

I am doing a lot of soul searching whether or not to buy a 997 C4S!

I am 31, single, been tracking my cars for 5 years, LOVE driving, and LOVE cars! Currently own a pretty nicely modded Audi B5 S4, putting down more than 350HP!

I got a chance to get a good line of credit that allows me to afford a Porsche 911 finally... been researching for a nice 997 C4S (the car I want)... and have narrowed it down to two cars (2006 models).

However, I am quite nervous and unsure about the stigma that driving a Porsche might bring and need some feedback from fellow drivers. If I did, I prettty much be a sore thumb amongst my buddies, work colleagues, and family, etc... the only place I'd fit it nicely is with my driving club buddies. This would be my only car, so cannot pick which car to drive when I go out.

Not sure how people actually may think of one who's driving a Porsche 911... specially since I cannot really afford to goto 5-star restaurants, spend zillions on entertainment, or wear Armani suits... just another young manager working in hi-tech.

Anyone else has had the same dillema, or experience? Even when I've mentioned I might be buying a 911, people look at me like I am THIEF, or whatever...

Thank you guys...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Life is too short to worry about what others think about you. You clearly love cars and I have been given grief by my friends and parents for having a porsche despite being a doc with a family of my own. Those who are not enthusiasts will think of it as a status symbol of course. Please do what you want and get the 997!
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:02 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76

Anyone else has had the same dillema, or experience? Even when I've mentioned I might be buying a 911, people look at me like I am THIEF, or whatever...

Thank you guys...
had the same dilemma? indeed.

so you're "doing better" financially than some of yo Buds and you're worried that you're gonna show them up... or something.

the REAL TRUTH is that it doesn't matter. you are whom you are. end of story.

now advice; GO BUY THE F-ING CAR and enjoy yoself if you like. go drive like stink with your club buddies, and get a brown paper bag to be with the hommes. mine's the V-Dub Jetta, a hoot with Bilstein coil overs.

that way, you're sooooooo Green (chicks dig it) and you're still having fun (chicks dig Porsches too).

OTOH, fuggittabbouttit. buy a Saturn and date boring chicks with bad attitudes. forget i said anythng...
Old 07-18-2009, 12:03 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Same thing here - I have a few friends that get it (mostly women, oddly enough) - but whatever, the others - f'em - I love my car and it was the right car for me - past that, I could care less.

If you can do it and want it, do it. A Porsche to me is a remarkable driver's car - "Ultimate Driving Machine" - no, it's much more than that!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Douche!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ey-douche.html
Old 07-18-2009, 01:29 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, I am quite nervous and unsure about the stigma that driving a Porsche might bring and need some feedback from fellow drivers. If I did, I prettty much be a sore thumb amongst my buddies, work colleagues, and family, etc... the only place I'd fit it nicely is with my driving club buddies. This would be my only car, so cannot pick which car to drive when I go out.

Not sure how people actually may think of one who's driving a Porsche 911...
Good luck with that.

By the way, if you're gonna buy a suit, make sure it's NOT Armani.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Unfortunately, WHERE you live can affect what you're concerned with.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

personally i would never buy a sports car on a "line of credit" ... yes you "could" buy it, but does that mean you should... im not your accountant but thats how people get in trouble and thats why the economy is in the ****ter right now because people got lines of credit and bought houses they shouldnt have just because the banks say "eh, you can maybe afford it"

rest of post goes along with my suggestion, you say you cant afford armani suits and nice dinners or fancy entertainment yet you wanna put all your egg's in a porsche basket?

as far as stigma, im 23 and bought my 997 a few months back.. i see no stigma... yes there are a couple of people that give you **** "is that your dad's car" "thats a boxter right?" "oh look at mr fancy pants" but for the most part people dont give a crap.. i daily drive my car and haul friends and go to clubs and even cram people in the back.. i like the porsche cause you can park it and 95% of people dont really care.. versus when ive driven other exotics and people are jealous and key your car, or door ding you out of spite, or expect you to buy everything cause you "have it"..

id say, check your finances... just because you can pay 1000/mon or whatever it is doesnt mean you should... driving a porsche is fun but i would rather be liquid and drive a civic than be in debt and drive a porsche.. its just a car, 4 wheels and a steering wheel.. the only difference is the porsche takes the corners better and the engine is in backwards.

remember maintenance is far more as well,
Old 07-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

The older you get, the less you care about what everyone else thinks.... do what you want (and can afford) to do.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:01 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

I am doing a lot of soul searching whether or not to buy a 997 C4S!
Glad to see you're doing some soul searching. Good sign.

I got a chance to get a good line of credit that allows me to afford a Porsche 911
Uh Oh. Buying a depreciating asset on credit is a no no unless you can back it up with substantial assets.

However, I am quite nervous and unsure about the stigma that driving a Porsche might bring.
Once you take it around the block, you won't think about the stigma again. You'll just be the 'Porsche guy'. GL, dave
Old 07-18-2009, 02:07 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was am in the same boat.

I am 33 years old and single and at times feel uncomfortable about
driving a P-Car. That being said, I would not have a P-Car as my
only transportation.

There are times when you need to play your success down. Whether
it be with friends or clients. When I am heading to the courthouse
for a jury trial, hearing, etc., or going to social functions where I know judges may be present, I will not drive the Porsche. If a jury sees my car,
I know I may be doomed before I begin. It's like wearing a Rolex into
the courtroom--as my father and my grandfather always said--very
bad news.

That being said, driving a P-car is also a very rewarding experience
and a lot of people understand your love of Porsche. Just don't
ever shove it in their face. Keep it in the garage at home and drive
it when you want. I am fortunate enough to have a parking garage
at work where I can park the car away from everyone and very
few people know I have a P-Car. My paralegal and secretary will
never know.

High end cars rub some peole the wrong way. These are people that
you sometime have to be around and often times make your living
from them.

I also have a Range Rover Sport, and I will be the first to say this
truck really irritates some people. I love everything about the
truck, however, sometimes I think about buying the new model
GMC Yukon / Chevy Tahoe (which are very nice as well) so as to prevent
standing out too much.

Most people hate young, successful people when you are constantly
reminding them of your success and their lack of success (if you
can classify material items as success).

I had a Jeep Wrangler Sahara earlier this year and to be frank with
you, it was nice just jumping in that rig and heading out on the road.
It was sharp, but not pompous, and you never really cared about
parking it 2 miles away from a store.

One more thing, if you have to finance a P-Car, you cannot afford
it. Take the time to save for one and you will enjoy it even more.

Also, never buy Armani suits. Brooks Brothers and Hart Shaffner
suits work just fine. There are enough posers in the world, don't
become another one.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:44 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
It's like wearing a Rolex into
the courtroom--as my father and my grandfather always said--very
bad news.
But what if a Rolex is your daily wearer, then what?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
But what if a Rolex is your daily wearer, then what?
upsets me that rolex is a status symbol to some as its really not even an expensive watch... its well built and well engineered, but this engineering and build is made to be rugged and dependable and not luxurious.. case and point being that their most expensive model shares the identical movement as some of their cheapest models...

irony is when people become criticized for wearing a rolex to court (avg steel rolex ~5k) when you could show up to court in a Audemars Royal Oak Carbon Concept (225k and never discounted) and people would think you had a watch from a gumball machine and would more than likely tell you it doesnt mend at all with the suit you were wearing...

if you can "AFFORD" it, drive it daily, drive it everywhere and dont mind what people say... the only people bitching are the people that are jealous of your success as there is no other real reason to bitch/complain about you driving a porsche... you made a choice to drive a finely engineered german automobile and they made the choice to drive a piece of crap daewoo.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:18 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus, where are you guys from Oklahoma or something? Maybe its because I am 50...but who the hell cares what anyone else thinks unless they are trying to give sound advice like dont **** away your money on cars. Not everyone who may be given this guy advice is because they are jealous! AFFORD this car....he using a line of credit! For crying out loud is this soul searching or growing up? Fatherly advice....take your money and buy a townhome. Line of credit for a 100k car...no wonder why this country is in the financial mess....unless there is bailout I haven't heard about for those who buy 100k cars they can't afford! Keep the Audi, buy a townhouse, get a lifetime soulmate, think about financial independence......and mature a little. My 20 year old has more sense than that! One last thing...do a little more soul searching and define how you measure "success"...its not by the $$$ you have nor the toys you have. There I said it!
Now truth be said...do I worry a little about showing up in the 997? If a friend is not doing well...I will drive my 97 E420 with 180k miles on it...I don't flaunt! At work, clients think if you are driving a cheap car.."not doing well", if expensive car " his ripping me off" and employees maybe more eager to hit you for a raise. So, I do care...I am not that dumb nor naive either...I think.

I apologize about Oklahoma...., Kalifornia with its financial mess is nothing to be proud of either.
good luck,
love
abe

Last edited by abe; 07-18-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey I am 50 too and I live in a town that is so fiscally conservative that when I bought my
first 911 USED I got turned in to the Naval investigative service!!! I live in a NAVY town and everyone
makes good coin. ALmost everyone is a scientist or engineer. Couples that BOTH work on base surpass
$300k as senior scientists combined. BUT STILL I have the newest sports car in town. People easily here could afford Ferraris or Lambos but every one is so paranoid about what every one else thinks no one makes a move. there is 50 thousand Avalons in town for Gods sake. I am on my fourth 911 and I just dont give a rats *** no more. People in this town will pay $60K for raw cherrry wood for their kitchen on their new $900K house and no one says a thing but if I buy a car I have to visit the NCIS office.
Buy the car and tell everyone else to screw off. You dont ask them to pay your bills so tell them to get the fu#k out of your business. If it bothers you that much then maybe you need a BMW or Audi.
I know my wife wont drive a Mercedes just because of the stigma. But there are a few new ones of those around. Really there are only maybe 5 911s in this town that are newer than 996's and 2 Caymans I think. I have had the only 997 in this town that lives here and I have had 2 GT3s. You only live once and with this economy you never know when and if this chance will come again.

Quick Reply: Stigma of owning/driving a 997...