Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stigma of owning/driving a 997...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're that worried about what your friends/family/co-workers will think of you if you drive that car to work every day, don't buy it. seriously, it's not worth it if it makes you feel like a snob, or worse. if you're getting this car, nothing about it should torture you. come to grips with the fact that you're a man, can drive whatever the "f" you want, and that you really don't care what opinions others come to based purely on what car you're driving...or don't buy the car.

and don't pay any attention to what others here have to say about financing your car. if you can afford the payments, and it's what makes you happy, go for it. in my opinion, certain folks who've got cash dripping out of every orifice like to preach that if you can't walk into a dealership and pay for a brand new $100K car with the change in your pockets that you shouldn't buy it...don't listen to them. do what feels right to you. enjoy your life at all possible costs...buy the car, drive the snot out of it, and let your friends and family drive it, too. you'll be a happier person for it.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:29 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Jesus, where are you guys from Oklahoma or something? Maybe its because I am 50...but who the hell cares what anyone else thinks unless they are trying to give sound advice like dont **** away your money on cars. Not everyone who may be given this guy advice is because they are jealous! AFFORD this car....he using a line of credit! For crying out loud is this soul searching or growing up? Fatherly advice....take your money and buy a townhome. Line of credit for a 100k car...no wonder why this country is in the financial mess....unless there is bailout I haven't heard about for those who buy 100k cars they can't afford! Keep the Audi, buy a townhouse, get a lifetime soulmate, think about financial independence......and mature a little. My 20 year old has more sense than that! One last thing...do a little more soul searching and define how you measure "success"...its not by the $$$ you have nor the toys you have. There I said it!
Now truth be said...do I worry a little about showing up in the 997? If a friend is not doing well...I will drive my 97 E420 with 180k miles on it...I don't flaunt! At work, clients think if you are driving a cheap car.."not doing well", if expensive car " his ripping me off" and employees maybe more eager to hit you for a raise. So, I do care...I am not that dumb nor naive either...I think.

I apologize about Oklahoma...., Kalifornia with its financial mess is nothing to be proud of either.
good luck,
love
abe
Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Abe:
I actually live in Canada... no Oklohoma!

I do own a home, and I am not in debt! I have an MBA, so know a thing or two about finances, I bought a nice house a few years ago, renting it out now and its rent is paying the mortgage and all the costs, and still leaves me $1000/mo, which can pay for the P-car.

I do absolutely make enough money to make the payments, by line of credit, I meant that I can finance this car at a much better rate than Porsche offers! Hence making it more logical to purchase.

Also, the cars I am looking at is around $60K... not talking $100K+.

My question was not if I am making the right decision buying an expensive car! IF I don't buy the Porsche, my next option is a used Audi RS4, which is 50-60K as well. The main question is, if people think of you differently driving a Porsche, while an Audi can COST THE SAME!

The answer seems to be yes! and it seems like I gotto have a second car (maybe keep the S4) for chores, driving around town, or when I do not want to get ppl jealous...
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
if you're that worried about what your friends/family/co-workers will think of you if you drive that car to work every day, don't buy it. seriously, it's not worth it if it makes you feel like a snob, or worse. if you're getting this car, nothing about it should torture you. come to grips with the fact that you're a man, can drive whatever the "f" you want, and that you really don't care what opinions others come to based purely on what car you're driving...or don't buy the car.

and don't pay any attention to what others here have to say about financing your car. if you can afford the payments, and it's what makes you happy, go for it. in my opinion, certain folks who've got cash dripping out of every orifice like to preach that if you can't walk into a dealership and pay for a brand new $100K car with the change in your pockets that you shouldn't buy it...don't listen to them. do what feels right to you. enjoy your life at all possible costs...buy the car, drive the snot out of it, and let your friends and family drive it, too. you'll be a happier person for it.
Thanks man!

The only reason I am buying a Porsche is the driving experience, and tracking it. My S4 is at the maximum of its performance potential, and just cannot compete with all other Porsches in my driving club. I do NOT care about the status symbol of it, and actually rather NOT have the status symbol with the car... hence trying to see what other Porsche owners feel.

I can afford it, as I explained earlier, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I actually do not think paying all cash for a car is that smart, I can make money with that cash, why pay it all down on a depreciating asset?

I just cannot afford the lifestyle that is *associated* with owning a P-car, right or wrong... that's what I meant by stating I don't wear Armani suits, etc...
Old 07-18-2009, 06:57 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Well do not worry about that, lifestyle is the way you live, not the way others think you should. I have been driving Porsches for 33 years, and Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Maserati's etc, I never owned a designer suit and go to work in the summer in shorts and a Grateful Dead Tshirt. Do not let anyones perception of you change because of what you drive, unless you change because of it.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:43 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Access to a "line of credit" does not constitute being able to afford the car. In my opinion. You can "swing" it, but that doesn't mean you should.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:43 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
The main question is, if people think of you differently driving a Porsche, while an Audi can COST THE SAME!
I actually catch more grief for the B5 S4 than any of my other vehicles, probably because I just added it. Hey, I wanted a car with a real back seat.

If you can afford it buy it and enjoy it. Keep the B5 for times when you need a little extra room or just want that turbo kick, it's a damn fun car.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have enjoyed my car and live in a similar environment. I would not want to own it as my only car because I sometimes need to pick up clients at the airport, stop at Home Depot for bulky stuff, etc.

If you don't need to do these kinds of things, get the car. You have to be selective about your luxuries, but the car is a great value now. It has depreciated by the value of a Honda Civic over the last 12 months. By having waited, you could pick up one of them, too.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Swoody
Racer

I for one would never consider "what others thought" being one of the criteria for ANY purchase I make. Thats like saying I should date or marry an ugly girl (just an example) over a model because my friends or others may be jealous.
I have worked hard for whatever I can own that makes ME (and the wife) happy and will be damned before I worry about some strangers feleings towards it or me!! I do not rub it in anyones face and all my friends digg my car's and if any have negative feeings about it they have kept it secret which is the best thing they could do!! Do what makes YOU happy as tomorrow you may drop over dead or be stricken with a debilitating diasease and then you will be for not doing what you really wanted!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Jetpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Hey I am 50 too and I live in a town that is so fiscally conservative that when I bought my
first 911 USED I got turned in to the Naval investigative service!!! I live in a NAVY town and everyone
makes good coin. ALmost everyone is a scientist or engineer. Couples that BOTH work on base surpass
$300k as senior scientists combined. BUT STILL I have the newest sports car in town. People easily here could afford Ferraris or Lambos but every one is so paranoid about what every one else thinks no one makes a move. there is 50 thousand Avalons in town for Gods sake. I am on my fourth 911 and I just dont give a rats *** no more. People in this town will pay $60K for raw cherrry wood for their kitchen on their new $900K house and no one says a thing but if I buy a car I have to visit the NCIS office.
Buy the car and tell everyone else to screw off. You dont ask them to pay your bills so tell them to get the fu#k out of your business. If it bothers you that much then maybe you need a BMW or Audi.
I know my wife wont drive a Mercedes just because of the stigma. But there are a few new ones of those around. Really there are only maybe 5 911s in this town that are newer than 996's and 2 Caymans I think. I have had the only 997 in this town that lives here and I have had 2 GT3s. You only live once and with this economy you never know when and if this chance will come again.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

You're asking people you don't know personally, and who don't know you, to tell you what you want to do is okay despite your own stated reservations. You can learn a substantial amount about all matters Porsche around here, but I'd ask my family, friends, spouse, or SO for advice about how to live my life rather than an internet forum.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76
I have an MBA, so know a thing or two about finances....
And everyone knows that an MBA can manage finances.

Who was it that got us into this financial mess we are in now, Fannie, Freddie, and Citibank......

If only those guys had gotten MBA's. Oh, right......

Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

WTF.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uzj100
But what if a Rolex is your daily wearer, then what?
Actually, I have had my Submariner since I recieved it as a gift from
my father upon my graduation from Law School. The only time I have received comments on it are from other people who own Rolexes and are just sharing
a common watch bond.
The Sub is a very understated watch and I like that.

Now, if you wore a solid gold and diamond Presidential every day,
you would get a lot more unwanted attention. Of course, these peole usually
drive Lambos and like big haired, tight jean-wearing blond women as well.
(just a comical observation--don't jump all over me).
Old 07-18-2009, 10:36 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
And everyone knows that an MBA can manage finances.

Who was it that got us into this financial mess we are in now, Fannie, Freddie, and Citibank......

If only those guys had gotten MBA's. Oh, right......

Well said and should'nt be interpreted as an attack on the OP.

Most of the people I know who drive Porsche could give a **** about what people think. Nor should you.

Anyone who gives you **** about driving a 911 is merely jealous and doesn't have the ***** to admit it. It's really that simple.

Buy the car and post up your pics. The 4S is a beautiful machine. Good Luck !
Old 07-18-2009, 10:50 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=kdurg;6740590]Well said and should'nt be interpreted as an attack on the OP.

Most of the people I know who drive Porsche could give a **** about what people think. Nor should you.

When all the smoke clears, this is very true.

Just play it down in certain circles and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Stigma of owning/driving a 997...