Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

^^ +1
Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Hey I am 50 too and I live in a town that is so fiscally conservative that when I bought my
first 911 USED I got turned in to the Naval investigative service!!! I live in a NAVY town and everyone
makes good coin. ALmost everyone is a scientist or engineer. Couples that BOTH work on base surpass
$300k as senior scientists combined. BUT STILL I have the newest sports car in town. People easily here could afford Ferraris or Lambos but every one is so paranoid about what every one else thinks no one makes a move. there is 50 thousand Avalons in town for Gods sake. I am on my fourth 911 and I just dont give a rats *** no more. People in this town will pay $60K for raw cherrry wood for their kitchen on their new $900K house and no one says a thing but if I buy a car I have to visit the NCIS office.
Buy the car and tell everyone else to screw off. You dont ask them to pay your bills so tell them to get the fu#k out of your business. If it bothers you that much then maybe you need a BMW or Audi.
I know my wife wont drive a Mercedes just because of the stigma. But there are a few new ones of those around. Really there are only maybe 5 911s in this town that are newer than 996's and 2 Caymans I think. I have had the only 997 in this town that lives here and I have had 2 GT3s. You only live once and with this economy you never know when and if this chance will come again.
Thanks for the post. When I was at China Lake (longer than I care to admit in public), I remember people talking about Dr. Zumwalt (yes, Admiral Zumwalt's father) having to hide his Rolls-Royce when brass came to visit.
Things never change.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:12 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
....,Separately, I think many of us frequent here just for the community. We know these cars are special and don't attach any stigma to them whether that's a base C2 or a monster RS. All 911s are almost the exact same car in a different trim level. So we all share something in common starting with that tub......
Amen to that - well said

I have never once felt unease on this forum or from other Porsche owners regarding of model,trim levels or spec.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fined
^^^^ I don't think you've overthought it. I think being perceptive of these kinds of things is even more likely when you've had some more humble beginnings.

I grew up fairly poor (for the united states anyways) and never once thought of owning a Porsche. I read on here often about guys whose dads had one.. or a family friend. I can't relate to that at all.

I'm just 34 and still do have plenty of people I grew up with (even into my 20s) that are just making ends meet.

I do tend to downplay the car.. if it comes up I mention it being 5 or 6 years old, and having paid half of what it cost new. I'm not ashamed of having it. I worked hard for it, and I love cars. Always have. It's just that I grew up being interested in much more attainable cars like a 1977 trans-am. I can love my car, be happy with it, proud of my accomplishment to be able to afford it comfortably.. but also not wish to make friends feel uncomfortable about what they have or drive.
I'm in a different place in life than you. I've dreamed about owning a Porsche since I was 10 and that was 50 years ago. But, I've worked hard my entire life and over a year ago I finally bought mine. I love the car and the fact that it's not a financial burden means I enjoy it without concern. My attitude is that people who judge you about anything aren't worth your time and energy. At the same time, I really don't talk about my Porsche in social settings unless I'm around 'car guys' that get it.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I grew up in a middle class family of six. We never wanted for food, clothing or shelter, but there wasn't much leftover from my folks' paychecks after that. I've been fortunate in my career. Always lived well beneath my means in order to save and ensure a comfortable retirement. Then, one morning about six months ago a colleague of mine, my age (58), dropped dead of a heart attack in his office six doors down the hall from me. He was active, thin and seemingly fit. He was looking forward to retire in 4 years to a house he recently bought in his home country. He never got to enjoy it. That got me to thinking and long story short I ended up with a 2007 C2S this May. I'm the first in my family to ever own anything close to it. The first three months I drove it I was very self conscience, as in constantly thinking "I can't believe I'm driving a Porsche, a freakin Porsche!" Anyway, I'm over it now and am back to not caring (much) about others thoughts about. The other thing is that now that I've done it, I realize I could have do it years ago! Moral of course is you never know what will happen in life so don't put off what you can do today if that is what wil make you happy.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:15 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Buying say a 2010 997.2 is really not that bad price wise.
I have a buddy who spent more than I did on my Porsche buying a Chevy Tahoe with all options that goes into brick mode at least once a year.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:17 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I work at a bank and there is also a stigma associated with the 911, especially since most folks can't tell the difference between a 991 and a 997.1. I usually don't drive the 911 to the office, and one time I did a fellow VP commented he thought it was flashy...some shareholders have said the same. It is a 10 year old car that cost less than half MSRP!

Ironically when I drive my E63 AMG with Renntech tuning no one bats an eye since it looks like a regular family sedan...and it is worth more than twice the 911 and has over 200hp more than the 997. An S500 owner who parks next to me once said the E63 was too small...my response was that I bought it to drive it, not to sit in the backseat!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is certainly a perception in some circles that a Porsche is a rich man's toy. I wouldn't drive my 997 to some events (like a Boy Scout fundraiser) although my friends in the troop were excited for me when I got mine. It attracts much more notice than newer (and therefore more expensive) BMWs or Benzes.

As far as buying on a LOC ... I prefer to NOT take out loans if I can avoid it but every financial decision is separate and unique. I can say now that I wish I'd taken a loan on the car i first bought with cash down as I sold a number of shares of Apple stock in 1999 in order to tell the salesman I was writing a check for the full amount and didn't want to talk about monthly payments. I occasionally beat my head in the wall over that one.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett
Buying say a 2010 997.2 is really not that bad price wise.
I have a buddy who spent more than I did on my Porsche buying a Chevy Tahoe with all options that goes into brick mode at least once a year.
I was at the Ford dealers having my GT350 serviced and while looking at a brand new Ford Explorer (which didn't impress me at all) the window sticker said $67,000! Can you imagine paying 67k for a Ford Explorer?

My wife is looking at getting a Porsche - 1st Gen Caymans for around 19k. I like to make smart buys - no apologies for my success either.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Wongton
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job! 👍
Old 09-25-2016, 04:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
a brand new Ford Explorer (which didn't impress me at all) the window sticker said $67,000! Can you imagine paying 67k for a Ford Explorer?
i really have zero clue how the avg joe can afford a new car and the depreciation that comes with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stigma of owning/driving a 997...