997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Oil Change process explained

Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks like a really fun thread......may I join in?

I used to drain the oil on my .1 through the glove-compartment. It meant, of course, standing the car perpendicularly up on it's exhaust-tips but at least every little drop of oil came out.

On my new .2 I'm gonna try draining the oil through the windscreen-washer nozzles; I'll let you know how it goes and prob'ly post a 'how to' video in case anyone else wants a challenge.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've seen many posts which mention jacking up the car, using jackstands etc. to do an oil change. Here's an easier way, IMHO. You can see from the pics that I simply drive the car up onto a 2x4 placed at each wheel. This keeps the car level so the oil drains properly and gives me enough room to slide my low profile catch pan underneath. My car has sport PASM so at 20mm lower than a non-S Carrera it's about as low as a stock car will be short of a GT3, and this method still works. If you have other stuff to do under the car, go for the jack, but for a quick oil change this works pretty well.
Attached Images    
Old 01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The hardest part, literally, is just getting the drain plug loose and out, with the catch pan in position. It depends on the catch pan and space you have to work with. Ideally the engine is warm so the oil is warm, so touching hot things is something I wanted to avoid. Having to back the car out and in and have the garage door open in the winter was another. Applying a jack to the back drivers side point to lift that corner got me enough access to loosen the drain plug, slide the catch pan under, hand-remove the plug and let it fall into the pan. Then the jack gets removed and everything else is with the car flat on the ground.

Unfortunately I missed the explosion that was posted past my oil-change rundown so can someone PM me what all the fuss is about.. if you have happened to save it? ( I doubt time-machine caught it, or google cache)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I still say you are a F'n a-hole...I never spelled out any profanity nor did I give out any death threats...The way you treat people , especially new people that ask typical questions on this board is very rude. You are worthless to this website.
Of course you didn't. And Bonster is lying here. (Btw, she saved your post for evidence.)

Originally Posted by Bonster
Edited (by Bonster) for drums' own good. Personal attacks are NOT allowed ANYWHERE on RL. Please do not do this again. What you said earlier, member or not, merits a permanent ban, not to mention a call to Tampa's police force. Calm down. You literally threatened someone. That is NOT RL material. PLEASE do not push me. If you had said that to me personally, I would have called the cops.

PLEASE, folks let's be careful with what we say. Stuff about smashing a head against a curb, etc., could legally very well come back to haunt you.
Originally Posted by Bonster
My GOSH I cannot believe that such absolute drivel is going on in the 997 forum. If anyone wants to rattle my cage about my previous post, please just send the gripe (or what have you) to renn@weatherwax.net Curse me out, send me car pics, I don't care. I am just so sad to see that RL is going down.
The thing is you must have been drunk last night (either that or you lost your mind), posting the profanity laced tirade that you did, barking about a post I made over 7 mos ago. Good grief!

You need to get a life. And some anger management help too.

You are a disgrace to this website with your personal attacks.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Content deleted by Bob R. Ben please see my PM to you.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HUGE thanks to Bob R. for editing/deleting the fiery posts that had absolutely nothing to do with changing oil in a 997.

AWESOME pics and descriptions, by the way! Even though I do not own a 997 myself, it was fun to have a virtual tech day here on the list. Unfortunately, the air-cooleds like mine would create a Juan Valdez type of incident in my driveway. BUT, if I ever have a P-car tech day here, now I know where to go and find the info. THANKS!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Juan Valdez... isn't that the coffee guy? Do you mean Exxon Valdez?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Looks good, Craig.

I think your photos make the procedure pretty self explanatory.

I'll just add these links to where most of the actual procedure is discussed:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...the-997-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-change.html
you're welcome.

BTW, the part number for the oil pan plug = 900-219-020-31 ~ $6.00.
The aluminum plug is so soft, i decided to replace the plug instead of risking rounding out the female hex built into the plug.

ps. the end of the plug is NOT magnetic.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Juan Valdez... isn't that the coffee guy? Do you mean Exxon Valdez?
LOL. Either one! Funny that our brains "get it" either way.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by LlBr
LOL. Either one! Funny that our brains "get it" either way.
Well, they are both brownish liquids we don't want spilled on the garage floor, though one does leave a more pleasant aroma.

Cheers.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've seen many posts which mention jacking up the car, using jackstands etc. to do an oil change. Here's an easier way, IMHO. You can see from the pics that I simply drive the car up onto a 2x4 placed at each wheel. This keeps the car level so the oil drains properly and gives me enough room to slide my low profile catch pan underneath. My car has sport PASM so at 20mm lower than a non-S Carrera it's about as low as a stock car will be short of a GT3, and this method still works. If you have other stuff to do under the car, go for the jack, but for a quick oil change this works pretty well.
I really recommend to visit local autozone and buy rhino wide ramps - they are cheaper there than on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Rhino-Ra.../dp/B0002YTN4I

they are very convenient and much easier to use in most cases than jacks.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I really recommend to visit local autozone and buy rhino wide ramps - they are cheaper there than on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Rhino-Ra.../dp/B0002YTN4I

they are very convenient and much easier to use in most cases than jacks.
They look nice. My C2S with sport PASM sits pretty low, at the front in particular. Are the ramps low enough to clear the nose and get the front of the car up on them? The reason I like my admittedly inelegant solution of the 2x4's is I can drive all four wheels up onto them and keep the car level so the oil drains properly. Could you drive all four wheels up onto these ramps simultaneously?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Tsurara
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is kind of a dumb question, but has anyone had any warranty woes when changing their own oil? I bring my car to the dealership in the cold MA winters, but come summer I would definitely do them myself. Of course, if this will cause issues I'll eat the bill and bring it to Porsche.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsurara
This is kind of a dumb question, but has anyone had any warranty woes when changing their own oil? I bring my car to the dealership in the cold MA winters, but come summer I would definitely do them myself. Of course, if this will cause issues I'll eat the bill and bring it to Porsche.
Absolutely not. It's against the law.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

The only thing I've discovered is the uselessness of Durametric to control the service reminder interval... which now sits at 2 years for me, when my 2 yr service is due in 1 year. Going to the dealer for all service makes the service reminder somewhat usable.

As it is, without the ability for me to set my service reminders to a specific time/mileage, based on when I perform my last service vs when a particular service is due, the service reminders in the car computer are useless. Eg. I changed my oil finally at 14 mos/5900 mi. However the 2 year service should now be done in 10mos from now/20kmi total; whichever comes first. I cannot set the reminder to that. So whats the point of the reminder? Or better yet, why did it remind me for a 1 year service if its only for an oil change!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 Oil Change process explained