997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porsche extended warranty worth it?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe what I'm reading. There's some really shady **** going on.........

THIS is the deal: IF the car is listed on the dealers PORSCHEUSA.com LINK site; meaning it LOOKS like Porscheusa.com but with their own custom layout and inventories-

And you do a preowned search under their or porscheusa.com's website- and you see the (CHECKMARK) next to the used car or suv; -IT MUST BE SOLD WITH THE 2 YEARS/100K CPO WARRANTY!!!!

There is NO EXCPETIONS!! If you call, and they advertise the car at $87,995 and it's listed/offered at that price on thier site- with the CHECK MARK- it MUST be sold with the additional 2/100k CPO warranty.

The only exceptions are this: Car is listed on THEIR website for $87,995- but it's offered on EBAY for $77,995 -BUY IT NOW- then they can sell it for that lowered, discounted price w/o the CPO warranty.

But keep in mind; if the car is listed ANYWHERE as a CERTIFIED PRE OWNED PORSCHE- they MUST have done the work prior to it being listed.

NON of this " Oh, if you want us to Certify it, it'll be an extra $$$ " bull****.

That's false advertising and AGAINST Porsche's Franchisee Agreement.

wtf are you guys putting up with????

(example below)
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Default Example of Certified Pre Owned Porsche

That check mark means it's been reported to PCNA's dealer site and being sold as CERTFIED- AKA - THE WORK HAS BEEN PERFORMED.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

The fact is that they make money on the extended warranty. The money they make comes from those who buy them. I have never had a repair that would have been covered under an extended warranty. No one, not Porsche and not 3rd parties ever, ever, ever sell anything for a loss.

Where did the figure of 75% come from? I would guess 20% is closer to the truth. And although I don't have any actual figures either, I bet more than 50% of extended warranty purchasers never make a claim.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Conclusion...only good if something breaks down. Waste of money of nothing brakes down.
I am a genious.
abe
Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I got it because I actually DRIVE my car. For most of the low mileage drivers it's probably a waste of money. It's already paid off in several tire replacements.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

As others have said, it's only good if you use it. If you never use it, other than some peace of mind, it's probably a waste. For me, it's been a good deal. I was able to use mine on my 993 for, of all things, a RMS repair and for the rear defroster. Replacing the redefroster at the dealer involved replacing the rear window.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
The fact is that they make money on the extended warranty. The money they make comes from those who buy them. I have never had a repair that would have been covered under an extended warranty. No one, not Porsche and not 3rd parties ever, ever, ever sell anything for a loss.
Where did the figure of 75% come from? I would guess 20% is closer to the truth. And although I don't have any actual figures either, I bet more than 50% of extended warranty purchasers never make a claim.
You're referring to the insurance/warranty end of business, correct?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
DanJK
Racer

Originally Posted by BobbyB
You don't buy it? You don't buy that there is more than a 75% chance you will use the extended warranty once the factory warranty runs out? I certainly did, I didn't have many repairs but of the repairs I had, they more than paid for the extended warranty, including an IMS. Add to that a few other repairs, that totaled much more the cost of the extended warranty. Then when I sold the car, I sold of the price paid, returned. I paid less than $2k. Plus the CPO warranty (at least I was told the ones they are selling now) work just like the original factory warranty.
Yea, that's right, I don't buy it.

But a couple things you missed obviously.

One, the op is talking about an extended warranty for a 997, not a 996. And that is a Big difference in terms of catastrophic failure rates (although all anecdotal). I assume your extended warranty was not on your 07 right???

Second, just because you had a car with what sounds like an extraordinary number of issues, doesn't mean that is everyone's experience. Otherwise, the whole insurance model Fails.

As well, I didn't say "use an extended warranty". You might use it. You might feel even compelled to find something, anything to use it for because you payed a lot of up front money for it.

I'll take my chances on a 997, keep my money in the bank instead of paying for potential repairs upfront, and see what happens.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanJK
Yea, that's right, I don't buy it.

But a couple things you missed obviously.

One, the op is talking about an extended warranty for a 997, not a 996. And that is a Big difference in terms of catastrophic failure rates (although all anecdotal). I assume your extended warranty was not on your 07 right???

Second, just because you had a car with what sounds like an extraordinary number of issues, doesn't mean that is everyone's experience. Otherwise, the whole insurance model Fails.

As well, I didn't say "use an extended warranty". You might use it. You might feel even compelled to find something, anything to use it for because you payed a lot of up front money for it.

I'll take my chances on a 997, keep my money in the bank instead of paying for potential repairs upfront, and see what happens.
I don't think there is that much of a difference in faliure of parts for 996 vs 997 as they have the same engine. My extended warranties were on my BoxsterS, and 993. I have an extended factory warranty thru Porsche for my 07.
I didn't have many repairs to my Boxster, but a water pump, RMS, (I said IMS, but I had a RMS) and a couple of pulleys raised the repair cost. The warranty covered the parts, labor and rental.

As far as the 75% chance of using it, I believe that is valid. Weather or not you actually use it, is not the same as a 75% chance that you will use it. Here again, will the cost of repairs balance out the cost of the warranty? with just two repairs, yes it did. I'm guessing that if you own your car after 4 yrs, there is a good chance you will need some sort of repair, and that repair may be an expensive repair. These cars are good, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that in the 5th or 6th year of ownership, if you need a repair you wouldn't try to use your extended warranty if you had one.
Is having an extended warranty right for you? Only you can answer that, as you have, and that works too. I don't sell them. But if asked would I recommend one, if the asking party planned to keep the car more than 4 yrs, and the price is reasonable vs repair cost, then yes I would.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
DanJK
Racer

"But if asked would I recommend one, if the asking party planned to keep the car more than 4 yrs, and the price is reasonable vs repair cost, then yes I would."

Well that's the whole point. Unless you have a crystal ball.

Would I bet on the Super Bowl if I knew the winner? Probably.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I got it because I actually DRIVE my car. For most of the low mileage drivers it's probably a waste of money. It's already paid off in several tire replacements.
So I'm curious, what extended warranty did you buy that also covered wheels and tires?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simplified:
If you're like the majority of P-car owners running big businesses, no warranty.
If you're like me working a 9-5 job, warranty.

These cars are not well made period. Water pump at 20k miles? Oil pressure sender at 30k miles? C'mon.
And the cost of parts ... $800 for a wiper motor? $275 for an oil separator?

I sold my 1991 VW GTI when it had almost 300k miles and it was still running like a top. My '01 Jetta has well over 200k miles and no signs of slowing down. In both cases, all I did was regularly change the oil/fluids and give it a tune up every 50k miles. The CV boots had to be replaced every 120k miles or so.

Don't buy into all this "70% of all P-cars are still on the road" horsespit, they're not on the road they're in someone's garage.
The true test is mileage, I've yet to see a Porsche over 200k miles (without having the engine rebuilt).

So, why even buy a P-car in the first place? Purely for the driving experience, they are toys period and these toys are extremely expensive. You cannot enjoy a VW the same way you could enjoy a 996/997 but when it comes to reliability, there's no comparison. For me, warranty.

Which brings me to the following questions:
1. What is the oldest year that one can get a Porsche dealer warranty on? ... a '99 996?
2. What is the highest mileage 996/997 that one can get a dealer warranty on? ... 150k miles?
3. What is the most coverage one can get mileage-wise? ... another 100k miles?
4. What is the most coverage one can get time-wise? ... another 5 years?
The following users liked this post:
Dan137 (07-30-2021)
Old 05-29-2014, 12:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
Simplified: If you're like the majority of P-car owners running big businesses, no warranty. If you're like me working a 9-5 job, warranty. These cars are not well made period. Water pump at 20k miles? Oil pressure sender at 30k miles? C'mon. And the cost of parts ... $800 for a wiper motor? $275 for an oil separator? I sold my 1991 VW GTI when it had almost 300k miles and it was still running like a top. My '01 Jetta has well over 200k miles and no signs of slowing down. In both cases, all I did was regularly change the oil/fluids and give it a tune up every 50k miles. The CV boots had to be replaced every 120k miles or so. Don't buy into all this "70% of all P-cars are still on the road" horsespit, they're not on the road they're in someone's garage. The true test is mileage, I've yet to see a Porsche over 200k miles (without having the engine rebuilt). So, why even buy a P-car in the first place? Purely for the driving experience, they are toys period and these toys are extremely expensive. You cannot enjoy a VW the same way you could enjoy a 996/997 but when it comes to reliability, there's no comparison. For me, warranty. Which brings me to the following questions: 1. What is the oldest year that one can get a Porsche dealer warranty on? ... a '99 996? 2. What is the highest mileage 996/997 that one can get a dealer warranty on? ... 150k miles? 3. What is the most coverage one can get mileage-wise? ... another 100k miles? 4. What is the most coverage one can get time-wise? ... another 5 years?
Well said sir. Brutally honest anti-koolaid facts IMO.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:06 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

You should also compare costs. Warranty and repairs at the dealer. Sure a 18oo dollar extended warranty for two additional years, would cover the dealer $8oo water pump and 4 hours labor at $150 an hour. That expense certainly does help rationalize the value of the insurance with a $14oo repair. BUT the same OEM waterpump, is about $26o from many Porsche supplies and 3 hour labour at $9o/hour at an indy. For a total repair of $530 dollars. If you are a Porsche dealership service guy? Then extended Warranty is going to offer you more security. Worth it? Your call.
Me? Cars too old, too many kilometers. All the squeaks, rattles and noises? I'll deal with it myself, with the help of my indy of 25 years.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone interested in getting fidelity platinum i had a guy i've known a long time quote me one yesterday. $2600 for 07 TT with 13k on it and 100 deduct. www.mossymotors.com ask for Mike Jourdan in finance. you have to get a vehicle inspection but there is no taxes. he said porsche can do the inspection for him. that was for 3/36. for a car with 41k it was $4500.

thanks,
sid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: porsche extended warranty worth it?