Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Clutch Replacement Costs? Maybe $5000-$6000 @ 15,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK Clutch Replacement Costs? Maybe $5000-$6000 @ 15,000 miles?

I have read on a few Audi R8 forums and other Ferrari/Lambo sites that Auto-Manual type gearboxes are expensive to maintain. Quotes for the Audi R8 were $5000 for parts alone, plus labor. I read a post where someone needed a replacement around 15,000 miles; the repair was not warranty work because it's considered normal wear and tear.

(Please note I do not know this as fact, it's hearsay.)

Does anyone have the facts about how much it will take to maintain the PDK transmission?

Last edited by SeanInLA; 10-05-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: *typo*
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

I asked this same question and the hearsay was that PDK was good for the life of the car (unless abused - whatever that means) and life meaning 200,000 miles. I would like to know too.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My salesman on my test drive said length of regular warranty for PDK.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I would venture to guess that since Porsche has finally put the PDK in its cars that its durability will end up being pretty damn good. If you abuse a Tiptronic or 6-speed you'll break it. If you drive a Tip or a stick hard (e.g. track) you'll be OK.
I would think the same thing applies to the PDK.
The last thing Porsche wants is a huge group a people with broken PDKs in 2 years.....I think it will stand the test of time.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Keep in mind, the R8, Lambos, most Ferraris (except the California), etc. use single-clutch, electronically-operated, manual transmissions... I'm sure that plays a big part in maintenance costs.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:50 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

The way the PDK up/down shifts I would never have the guts to shift my C2S like that.
Simply amazing!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:21 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coochas
I would venture to guess that since Porsche has finally put the PDK in its cars that its durability will end up being pretty damn good. If you abuse a Tiptronic or 6-speed you'll break it. If you drive a Tip or a stick hard (e.g. track) you'll be OK.
I would think the same thing applies to the PDK.
The last thing Porsche wants is a huge group a people with broken PDKs in 2 years.....I think it will stand the test of time.
I agree with abuse, that's a given. I am sure there is a lot of knowledge on this forum about how long a manual clutch lasts and how much a clutch is to replace.

However, what I am looking for is facts about how much the PDK parts cost at the Porsche parts counter and how many labor hours are required? I think only time will tell how long they last in the real world use, but there should be some idea now about how much the replacement clutches will cost and the hours needed to make the repair.

Someone noted that the PDK should last the term of the warranty. That's 50,000 miles, correct?

But if I know it's going to cost $6000 to repair and this will be required after 50,001 miles and likely before the car reaches 100,000 miles, then that makes the PDK option cost $4080 + 6000 (repair)= $10,080.

However, if it costs about $1500 to fix then it's similar to a manual, and it's not a significant amount of money.

I'm just looking for some facts; I hope it costs under $2000 to replace/repair and the cars doesn't need replacement until 100K-200K miles. But what I have read about other Auto-Manual transmissions on high-hp/torque cars, repairs are frequent and common.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Sean, if you have some patience, when I go back to the dealership tomorrow I'll have my parts guy investigage. Would that suffice?

I was the one who asked the Tech's about it; PCNA told the Tech's during training that the PDK system is as durable as the Tip Tronic. Meaning, for example I have a 1999 C4 Cab/tip. w/ 89k on it. Tip tronic system works flawlessly. It should go for a long time. And as Chris (in Cali) pointed out- it's a more robust - aka different system-.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:27 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Sean, if you have some patience, when I go back to the dealership tomorrow I'll have my parts guy investigage. Would that suffice?

I was the one who asked the Tech's about it; PCNA told the Tech's during training that the PDK system is as durable as the Tip Tronic. Meaning, for example I have a 1999 C4 Cab/tip. w/ 89k on it. Tip tronic system works flawlessly. It should go for a long time. And as Chris (in Cali) pointed out- it's a more robust - aka different system-.
Thanks! The facts would be great. I am guessing you will field this question a lot in the future as new customers ask about repair. I really hope it is as durable as the TIP, but if it's not it's good to set an expectation about the price of repair. Nothing is free or will work forever, so knowing how much the fix is helps alleviate uncertainty.

I'll keep this thread tracked.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:29 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Default TIP

I had the fluid and the filter changed at
50,000 miles. I did this because I took the car to about
10 DE events. The hardest part was getting the fluid. It
only comes in 50 Gallon drums. I had the
dealer do it for about $600. The tip has never given me any
problems.
I suspect the PDK to be a better tip.
Paul
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
Thanks! The facts would be great. I am guessing you will field this question a lot in the future as new customers ask about repair. I really hope it is as durable as the TIP, but if it's not it's good to set an expectation about the price of repair. Nothing is free or will work forever, so knowing how much the fix is helps alleviate uncertainty.

I'll keep this thread tracked.
Okay, this is what we have thus far.

First and foremost I want to impress upon you guys what my tech's and part's guys said about Tip- "They rarely have any issues at all. Ever." So take that for what it's worth.

2nd; The Porsche parts system is only showing 1 type of clutch plate- the one for the m/t. Meaning that thus far- PCNA or Porsche all together is not selling replacement clutches for the PDK system. They are only showing a few seals and a bearing.

Now here's what my hunch is; again based on the Parts and Tech's experience- They are only showing PDK replacement cost - $7,200+ and $3180 for core. Trash the core too- and the whole system will cost you $10,000+

Now that's the bad. This is the good. There is no recommended service for the PDK system. It's supposed to last the life of the car.

So for those of you whom are getting squimish about the $$- DON'T. It's a bullet proof system and 99% of you won't even come close to pushing the car to it's limits anyways. So don't worry. - That's why they have a WARRANTY.

that's all I got.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
They are only showing PDK replacement cost - $7,200+ and $3180 for core. Trash the core too- and the whole system will cost you $10,000+
What is this business of "replacement cost - $7,200+ and $3180 for core"?

Core is usually the designation given to the unit sent back for exchange. So is it $7.2k for exchanging the old unit and $10.4k if the old unit is not sent back?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I think people are confusing replacement of the clutches with replacement of the whole transmission.

The clutches will wear out eventually (as will the transmission), but they shouldn't wear any faster than a well-driven manual, and it is hard to abuse them since they are controlled by computers. Yes, when the time comes, the dual clutches will be more expensive to replace than a single clutch...but I doubt that will happen before 80-100k miles.

You may get 200k out of a $10k transmission.

For the record, I had a Tiptronic replaced in my 997.1 at ~6k miles at a warrant cost of ~$6-7k.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

A wet clutch should last alot longer than a dry one. The PDK clutches run in an oil bath which should keep them in the appropriate operating temp. range. Should the units need regular replacement, like at 50K miles, the aftermarket will be all over it. Since Porsche says lifetime, I would guess it will be as reliable as a regular Tip. Which, as Chris points out is very reliable.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by ADias
What is this business of "replacement cost - $7,200+ and $3180 for core"?

Core is usually the designation given to the unit sent back for exchange. So is it $7.2k for exchanging the old unit and $10.4k if the old unit is not sent back?
Let me clarify as my original post needs cleaning up; PORSCHE does not offer ANY replacment parts - OTHER- then then entire unit to be replaced as a whole. Meaning, if your PDK has issues, (now) they will replace the entire unit!

Replacement cost is $7,200+ shop time. The CORE is worth $3000+, if you FUBAR the core up as well- you're paying a total of over $10k.

Hope that adds clarity.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I think people are confusing replacement of the clutches with replacement of the whole transmission.

The clutches will wear out eventually (as will the transmission), but they shouldn't wear any faster than a well-driven manual, and it is hard to abuse them since they are controlled by computers. Yes, when the time comes, the dual clutches will be more expensive to replace than a single clutch...but I doubt that will happen before 80-100k miles.

You may get 200k out of a $10k transmission.

For the record, I had a Tiptronic replaced in my 997.1 at ~6k miles at a warrant cost of ~$6-7k.
Originally Posted by 968PORSCHE
A wet clutch should last alot longer than a dry one. The PDK clutches run in an oil bath which should keep them in the appropriate operating temp. range. Should the units need regular replacement, like at 50K miles, the aftermarket will be all over it. Since Porsche says lifetime, I would guess it will be as reliable as a regular Tip. Which, as Chris points out is very reliable.

Exactly. Drive it as most of you would anyways and you'll get many miles out of the PDK system with no worries.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch Replacement Costs? Maybe $5000-$6000 @ 15,000 miles?