Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad swap on 997S. What's involved?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad swap on 997S. What's involved?

I've seen a post recently stating that to swap pads on a 997S requires removal of calipers. That seems crazy to me when you have calipers that can facilitate a 2 minute pad swap.

Has someone been able to swap pads w/o removing the caliper?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Originally Posted by SB
I've seen a post recently stating that to swap pads on a 997S requires removal of calipers. That seems crazy to me when you have calipers that can facilitate a 2 minute pad swap.

Has someone been able to swap pads w/o removing the caliper?
Unfortunately, that's kind of true, at least the first time. Problem is, the factory has this great idea of installing noise damping gizmos (probably not the OE part designation), which they do with great vigor, and they are glued on the brake pad backing plate. They have protruding nipples (just to keep your attention), that engage the interior of all four pistons. So, unless the pad is worn down practically to the backing plate, there is not enough room to spread the pads and pull them out. I've heard of people separating the dampers from the backing plate with a putty knife or such; I couldn't do it. The good news, the calipers are easy to remove, and then the pads fall right out. The caliper bolts should be torqued at about 63 pounds. The shop manual apparently instructs using new bolts, but I did not. I wouldn't re-use them many times though. Obviously, you throw away the damping gizmos. I get no brake squeal without them, with street pads that is, sounds like a garbage truck with the Pagid yellows.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I guess I'm confused. If you remove the calipers and "...then the pads fall right out..." what are you doing? The key to this should be in how far back you can push the pistons to get the worn ones out. I would think putting in the new ones would the harder part.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:09 PM
SB
Instructor

Thanks much for an explanation. I get it now. I'll let everyone know how my brake swap goes.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I guess I'm confused. If you remove the calipers and "...then the pads fall right out..." what are you doing? The key to this should be in how far back you can push the pistons to get the worn ones out. I would think putting in the new ones would the harder part.
Pushing the pistons all the way in is not the problem, that's easy. But even when the pistons are fully compressed, unless the pad material is almost completely worn away, there is not enough clearance to extract the noise dampers (which are attached to the pad) from the piston. With the caliper removed, there is no rotor taking up space, so the pads, with damper attached, are then easily removed. After that, and assuming you never use the dampers again, pads are easily changed in the manner the fixed caliper design provides. Just spread the pads, pull them out, and drop the new ones in. Asssuming the wheel has been removed, it takes maybe two minutes.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:09 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

997 turbos in the rear require that the calipers be removed to chnage the pads
Old 03-24-2007, 12:50 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
I have done all four wheels. Once you spread the pads then you can pry out the pads.
I have only damaged one noise device. You are right that the pagrid yellows make
tons of noise but I have the pagrid blues. They really work good at the track.
Paul
Old 03-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Haven't been in there in some time! I forgot about the rotor factor. Maybe I won't have to go in as often with the PCCBs. What's your mileage that dictated a change?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pad swap on 997S. What's involved?