Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does it work – dealer gets car from another dealer?

Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How does it work – dealer gets car from another dealer?

Greetings,

I told my salesperson that I found a car that I like (07 C2S) in another local dealer. The car is in the ship and will arrive to that dealer in a week.

My salesperson called me back in the next day, said that he had talked to that dealer and he would have the car transfer to his dealer. That way he could sell that car to me.

I asked him if there is any document for the transfer. He answered ‘no’ and said this happens all the time. He ensured me that he would get that car for me.

My salesperson has been very helpful to me, thus I would prefer to give him the business.

My questions are… Can he really get that car for me? Any catch or worry for me? Anyone knows internally how it works for dealers to get cars from another dealers?

Thanks in advance for any info

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, dealers trade with one another all the time. As long as you are 100% sure that is the car you want, nothing to worry about. Because they will probably have you do most (if not all) of the paperwork before the actual trade take place.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:24 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

...for an additional cost that is. They will not do it for free. Most will require around $500-$1000 for their "troubles". If your guy does it for free, the car is most likely a little overpriced. I was thinking of doing the same for one I thought I wanted before I purchased mine. This was only about 4 months ago. Unless it is brand new & from one PORSCHE dealer to another. They will probablly do it for free.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jugger911
...for an additional cost that is. They will not do it for free. Most will require around $500-$1000 for their "troubles". If your guy does it for free, the car is most likely a little overpriced. I was thinking of doing the same for one I thought I wanted before I purchased mine. This was only about 4 months ago. Unless it is brand new & from one PORSCHE dealer to another. They will probablly do it for free.
Wow, they charged you for the transfer? Over the years I had two cars transferred from other Dealers, and there was no additional charge. In my case I was going to custom order a car, but my salesman checked other Dealers around the country before placing the order and found the car that I wanted. I wasn't required to put anything additional down for the transfer to take place. It's in the salesman's and Dealer's best interest for this to happen because they get their commissions much faster than if they have to wait for a custom car to be built.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Phil S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the transfer is set in motion before the car leaves the port, everything will appear as if the car was intended to go to your dealer. The window sticker will even show their name. What usually happens is that your dealer will give up a one car allocation of theirs to the other dealer. Or, they will actually trade vehicles and your dealer will give the other dealer a car they have at the port or on the lot. There shouldn't be any fee for this.

I did this last year on a SL I bought for my wife. Our dealer didn't have the exact car we wanted and didn't even have one in route. They checked the overall inventory and found the car we wanted at the port. It was assigned to another dealer. They made arrangments with MBUSA to have the car reassigned to them. It was delivered directly from the port to them and all paperwork including the window sticker showed their name. I am sure they gave up one of their cars to get ours.

Phil
Old 02-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Normally, Dealer trades on new cars are straight forward. There are only a couple reasons why it would be more expensive to do this. 1) if dealer has to pay to have car transported, they may pass on that cost. 2)If the car is really in demand, and the dealer has to trade something outrageous to get it, they may charge extra. For example, i had a customer who wanted a 2005 turbo s coupe, and to get that allocation, i was going to have to trade 2 2005 carrera s coupes, and it would have been a bad business move for me, unless i passed on some extra charge to the customer. I declined that dealer trade, was patient, and found a car that didnt require such a bad move. 3) the only other reason i can think of that a trade car would cost more is simply that i would rather give you a better deal on a car i have on my lot in stock now. So, its not charging more for the other car per se, but charging less for mine.

For mainstream cars like honda or toyota, a dealer trade is a no brainer, as it doesnt require much extra work, based on the volume of cars available and cars swapped.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:46 PM
elh0102
Instructor

There is usually not a disclosed fee for such transfers. Your question should be, which dealer will give me the best price? That is often difficult to determine, since the dealer to which the car is presently sold, may not commit its best price to you without a deposit and a sealed deal. At that point, the car is not available to the other dealer, and you are committed. Often dealers will trade cars, if each has a similarly desireable vehicle that the other wants in inventory. Of course, all of this is difficult, at best, for you to determine. As a general rule, you should assume that you can get a better deal from the dealer originally receiving the car. To get an equal or better price from the second dealer would be the exception.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:01 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

The transfer to your dealer is a good idea. Depending on where the other dealer is you don't want to be on the hook for shipping as too many things could happen. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Thanks folks, that is very informative. I feel better now (but still keep my fingers crossed.)

The car is currently in the ship on its way here, so hopefully my salesperson will arrange the car to truck directly to his dealer. (even if not so, I guess it shouldn't be a big problem because the other dealer is just 40 miles away.)

Thanks again

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:30 AM
MyEmily
Racer

alex tang?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

alex tang?
Sorry, I am not Alex Tang.

Regards,
Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 PM
hlee1169
Pro

When I was shopping for a Carerra, I asked Fremont Porsche if it's possible to get a car I saw at the Stevens Creek Porsche, and they told they do not have a relationship with each other, so vehicle transfer is impossible. So I think it's really up to the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does it work – dealer gets car from another dealer?