Sponsored by:

Which Headers / Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which Headers / Exhaust?

I've been doing my research and trying to take an analytical approach to assessing the pros and cons of each product grouping (header / cats / exhaust). For various reasons, I've narrowed it down to (in order of expense): Schnell (not sure they make a cat yet), Fabspeed, and AWE (this may change when Borla is released).

I've eliminated some of the others (Tubi, Remus, B&B, etc.) because it didn't appear the increased cost brought a benefit. I really don't want to turn this post into a debate, but rather to discuss the merits of the differences in design and whether or not there really was a difference.

What I mean is this... All of these companies offer a performance header. As I've read, the oem headers are from the 996, where the tubing was sized for a certain output. The 3.8l engine was pushed and now the headers / cats / exhaust are a restriction point. So, as these makers suggest, they've used larger diameter tubing, come up with their idea of a better design, and even made the part lighter. So, we have Fabspeed suggesting a 15/12 HP/TQ gain from headers, Schnell and AWE about the same. But then we have B&B that says 22 HP at the wheels from the header. Can that be? Is there something different / special about their design? Or is it a typo?

So part of me thinks to find a header that maximizes that part of the performance package, then cats, then pick whatever exhaust note I like that also has the best specifications. For example, the Fabspeed sounds fine on the videos and it's the lightest (28 lbs saved vs. say 9 or 10 for others).

So a Frankensystem might have B&B Headers, AWE Cats, and a Fabspeed muffler and that might be the best performing and lightest combination.

Curious...
Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the exact same place with my 997 C4S. I have done the searches, read the threads, listened to the sound clips, and am now more confused than I started. For me, it's not so much performance, but sound. I would like a deeper, throatier sound, especially at idle.....but still enjoy the relative quietness of the "standard" exhaust. Sooooooo..what my be too loud for one, may not be for the other. I guess the only REAL way is to hear them in person. AWE and FABSPEED are only about an hour from my house. However, I'm waiting for the Borla. I've heard other Borla exhauasts and they seem to be too loud for my purpose, but that may change with the 997.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've been doing my research and trying to take an analytical approach to assessing the pros and cons of each product grouping (header / cats / exhaust). For various reasons, I've narrowed it down to (in order of expense): Schnell (not sure they make a cat yet), Fabspeed, and AWE (this may change when Borla is released).

I've eliminated some of the others (Tubi, Remus, B&B, etc.) because it didn't appear the increased cost brought a benefit. I really don't want to turn this post into a debate, but rather to discuss the merits of the differences in design and whether or not there really was a difference.

What I mean is this... All of these companies offer a performance header. As I've read, the oem headers are from the 996, where the tubing was sized for a certain output. The 3.8l engine was pushed and now the headers / cats / exhaust are a restriction point. So, as these makers suggest, they've used larger diameter tubing, come up with their idea of a better design, and even made the part lighter. So, we have Fabspeed suggesting a 15/12 HP/TQ gain from headers, Schnell and AWE about the same. But then we have B&B that says 22 HP at the wheels from the header. Can that be? Is there something different / special about their design? Or is it a typo?

So part of me thinks to find a header that maximizes that part of the performance package, then cats, then pick whatever exhaust note I like that also has the best specifications. For example, the Fabspeed sounds fine on the videos and it's the lightest (28 lbs saved vs. say 9 or 10 for others).

So a Frankensystem might have B&B Headers, AWE Cats, and a Fabspeed muffler and that might be the best performing and lightest combination.

Curious...
Actually Ron according to AWE the headers were really only worth 7hp when you are already running their cats and mufflers. The headers according to AWE didnt' change the tonal quality of the car but of course the cats and mufflers did. That is why I was considering the X51 header and run cats and mufflers. I like the idea of the X51 header as you get more clearance with this header but the lack of equal length and not really a nice merged collector could cost low end tq and midrange power. The compromise in the X51 header is a lot like the US M3 header with the cat on the header. The euro header was a full length equal tubing length that helped midrange power along with low end torque more than helping top end power. I do believe that headers by themselves are not going to be worth 15-22hp, at best I feel 5-10rwhp the rest is going to be in the cats and mufflers.

What would be interesting is to do a dyno after the exhaust install with a A/F ratio mapping and see what the numbers look like. I probably won't even do software if then umbers stay within 12-13:1 ratio as this would be fine for a normally aspirated car.

Dave
Old 01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy with the Fabspeed stuff, high-quality. I like the sound, power gain and weight loss
Old 01-19-2007, 04:40 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

I am very pleased with my AWE system. High quality, well engineered, and an awesome sound. The weight loss over the factory setup doesn’t hurt either. YMMV. My .02 on your short list is to get the one whose sound you like.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Arrow Fabspeed Header and Maxflow Mufflers

I have a Fabspeed Header and Maxflow Mufflers. The quality is good. The fit and finish are good. If you buy the Maxflow mufflers you will have to bend or remove the rear fender stabilizer brackets. The sound is OK. I seriously doubt if there is any power gain. I think the numbers posted on the internet are marketing hoopla!

The ECU reprogramming definitely made a difference!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Went through the same type of research process. Decided to only go with the mufflers. Went with the Fabspeed. Have been very pleased.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Fabspeed muff's here too. I like them too. AWE Fabspeed Tubi all make high quality muff's so you can go wrong here. The AWE and Fab's sound the most simular to me...the AWE's seem slightly more quiet and more airy sounding. The Tubi's are stock quiet at idle and light throttle but scream/shrill euro sound at above 5000rpm WOT.
Fabspeed mufflers sound the most like a cup car but with the volume turned down.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Anyone have real world experience with the Schnell headers and/or mufflers? They seem very reasonably priced.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:45 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check this out. http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For those who are waiting on the Borla, hang tight, it's almost here. I just got my car back from them this morning and have had a blast with my car all day. I'll be giving them feedback within the next weeks and see what happens from there. I have the mufflers and the headers, and the car's sound has really changed. It sounds so deep and throaty and a lot louder! It's hard to explain in words so one of these days i'll shoot pics and get video of it if Dave Borla allows me to show the system to the public.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:59 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Wil be waiting your review......Hopefully I can get the "Throaty " sound i'm looking for, without the sound level increase. Perhaps just the muffs will do it for me. Any chance of a sound clip with just the muffs? Or have you heard the car with just the muffs on? Thanks...........
Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The car without the mufflers sounds deep and throaty, but not as loud as the car is with the headers. It really sounds different but I think you guys would really like it.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:55 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious...
First, B&B does not quote their headers to gain 22hp, that is what they rate their entire exhaust (headers + mufflers). My choice would be Zerotek headers and Fabspeed mufflers. I think both Fabspeed and B&B have good headers. Just look at the design of the Zerotek headers (thick 1-piece flanges, 1-piece mandel bent primaries, nice merge collector and high quality welding) and and they could be an opportunity to save some money.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:39 PM
D.D.
Race Car

I'm not convinced either....As you can make numbers say what you want....( See income Tax Returns for closest friend). Be that as it may, I am after sound only, not so much the HP return as I doubt the above as well.

Quick Reply: Which Headers / Exhaust?