Another Valentine 1 Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Another Valentine 1 Installation

I posted this over on Rennteam buried within another posting for a K40 detector,--but wanted to share the installation instructions here.

I went with the Valentine 1 design for the directional input. I did my installation a lot different than everyone else, going for as subtle an installation as possible.

(1) The head unit (with antennae) goes in the usual place to the left of the rearview mirror. The line to it is inserted in the window trim (I would put a half hitch in it periodically to help it stay in the slot between the interior trim and the glass) and I routed it on the passenger side windshield and to the A post, through the dashboard end trim and down into the footwell area just beneath the carpet trim (out of sight) and then to the center console.

(2) The remote display unit and remote power control unit are mounted inside the little cubbyhole area of the 997 autos beneath the PCM display.

(3) Power to the hard install device was obtained from a switched 12V line above the fuse box (I removed the trim from around the fuse box and loosened up the box considerably to gain good access during the installation). I used the old trial and error method with a multimeter and a pin to probe and ultimately locate a decent switched 12V power source. I grounded the unit with the nut that secures the fuse box assembly to the body. ** Do not attempt to access power from any YELLOW wires. They are to the airbag system and will immediately trigger the air bag upon a drop in power!

(4) The power lines are then routed around the left foot well (just below the top of the carpeted areas,--and below the steering rod) to the center console area.

(5) The biggest challenge was fishing the wires into the cubbyhole area. First off, remove the rubber piece that is in the bottom of that area. It is secured in 5 place,--3 along the front lip, and two in the rear. Along with the securing holes are two slightly larger holes in the rear, about a third of the way up from the bottom plate level. Suggest you fish a stiff wire through there toward the front of the car and once through, attach your two power lines (neg and plus) along with the telephone line--2 pair) and taping them to your snake, pull the whole mess into the cubbyhole. For the control line you need to cut off the end (the RJ11 terminal) from the telephone line to get it through the small hole,--note the polarity of the lines,--is the black wire on the left or right?) and using an RJ11 crimper, replace that terminal with the correct polarization once the wire is through.

(5) Build yourself two short telephone lines with RJ11 connectors (properly polarized at each end) crimped on. (Using the telephone line they supply).

(6) Connect everything as needed. I used solder to connect up to the Valentine 1 provided power plug,--shortened to save on excessive wires in there. I also used shrink tubing on both connections. Using double stick foam-back squares, take the two remote units and stick them together, with the display remote on the left side. Using a black magic marker, color in the front seam of the foam so it is hidden from view. Place about 4 more squares of that double stick foam on the top of the remote units (now treat as an assembly). The rubber base for the cubbyhole should have a good sized hole cut out in the rear, left corresponding to where the lines enter the cubbyhole. Using a razerblade, slice a direct slash in it to speed up installation it you choose (or fish everything through first and put the connector (RJ11) on last). Secure the rubber base first. Finally, take the assembly of remotes and press them into the opening, recessing them far enough so that they can be hidden with an optional piece of trim, or what have you for stealth operation.

Tools needed:

The Valentine 1 detector (kit)
The Valentine remote power/volume kit
The Valentine remote display kit
3-5 RJ11 connectors (and special crimping tool)
Hole punch
Razer blade
Soldering iron
solder, flux
Shrink tubing
Multimeter for DC volts
A length of blue painters tape
Approx. 4 feet of light gauge wire in two colors (pos and neg).
A quick splice connector (which allows you to tap into a line without soldering)
Heat gun (for the shrink tubing)

As an option I took a piece of rosewood that I had laying around and, using a premade pattern, use it to close up the installation from prying eyes (and those of authorities). I cut it slightly smaller than the opening needed and have stabilized it in that position by adding a bit of GE Silicon to either end of the long sides. It also allow me to mute the alert without removing the woodtrim. Unfortunately, as built it denies me the direct view of the directional lights but for a long cruise I simply store that trim piece in the console,--and then all is visible for regular operations.

Two pictures provided to the way it looks installed, followed by two pictures of the position of the antenna assembly, hidden somewhat by the visor when deployed, and not.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Edgy01; 01-30-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:11 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Installation. Rosewood add a nice touch. Did the unit safe you from any potential law run in? I have mine STI for 2 months and as of yet, no hits. Sometime I wonder is it working. I geta lots of pings from K and X.No Ka or laser at all.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I consider it useful information on what is going on around me. I got most of my 'speeding' out of my system in Europe. These days we're too highly visible and they're just looking for an excuse to pull us over. Laser hits depend a lot on your area and what your authorities are using. Several rear taillights from some GM products can set off the laser alert.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan - Nice installation & great write up. The rosewood filler plate is a very nice touch, especially with your interior.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

very nice!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Very Nice!

A question: Do you guys immediately pull down (and hide) the main unit when a cop approaches you?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I consider it useful information on what is going on around me. I got most of my 'speeding' out of my system in Europe. These days we're too highly visible and they're just looking for an excuse to pull us over. Laser hits depend a lot on your area and what your authorities are using. Several rear taillights from some GM products can set off the laser alert.
HOw do you like the Valentine One?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:15 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Very Nice!

A question: Do you guys immediately pull down (and hide) the main unit when a cop approaches you?
+1
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Very Nice!

No - I have the K40 installed. Always hidden
Old 12-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeeper31
HOw do you like the Valentine One?

Valentine's advertising issue,--the directional information, pretty much sums it up. Once you have some time with a unit that provides that sort of information the others pale in comparison. You quickly know if the smokey or 'bogy' is in front or behind.

The way my unit is installed it is not necessary to quickly hide the unit. It just isn't visible except from the very front. With my left visor turned up it is covered up,--and the rest is behind the panel. I can even shut it off from down low in the car,--no reaching up for anything.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:39 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm around some police, I'll shut it off and pull it off the windshield. Why tempt fate.

That's a very nice installation (and I have always admired your interior) but my satellite receiver goes in that hole. There are not a lot of places for gadgets in a 997.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
msh26
Instructor

Default Sorry for the confusion

What is installed near the rearview mirror. Can you post a pic of that?

Very nice install. I may do the same.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:01 AM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan, nice work with the install and your car is one of a kind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on which detector they prefer but a couple of points from a new K40 owner. The K40 also has directional capability for it's radar and laser readings instead of the red arrows and the rest of the display panel it uses 2 very small LED's. They get mounted individually on either side of the tach, one side for front and one for the rear. By mounting your V1 down by the shifter you are relying on mostly your audible alert for the initial warning as that is nowhere near your sightline when driving. The K40's LED's are literally impossible to miss without having to take your eyes off the road and there is a seperate speaker for the audible alert. The audible alert can be selected for beep or for voice and when in voice mode it also says front or rear in addition to individual LED display. Both safer and quicker in terms of identifying a bogeys in my opinion. The V1 always scores high in terms of detection and the side arrow indicators are also unique but from I've read, the side markers are best for identifying false signals as opposed to actually radar. The K40 uses the latest in bluetooth wireless technology to make the install a much cleaner process also. Not having the side indicators might be more of an issue if the K40 gave false readings as often as the V1 does and I know this from comparing both on same roads around where I live. I literally have not had a singal false alert so far and this is on the same roads where my 8500 and the V1 were constanly going off. Anyways, sweet ride and good luck with your V1
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by awilks
Dan, nice work with the install and your car is one of a kind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on which detector they prefer but a couple of points from a new K40 owner. The K40 also has directional capability for it's radar and laser readings instead of the red arrows and the rest of the display panel it uses 2 very small LED's. They get mounted individually on either side of the tach, one side for front and one for the rear. By mounting your V1 down by the shifter you are relying on mostly your audible alert for the initial warning as that is nowhere near your sightline when driving. The K40's LED's are literally impossible to miss without having to take your eyes off the road and there is a seperate speaker for the audible alert. The audible alert can be selected for beep or for voice and when in voice mode it also says front or rear in addition to individual LED display. Both safer and quicker in terms of identifying a bogeys in my opinion. The V1 always scores high in terms of detection and the side arrow indicators are also unique but from I've read, the side markers are best for identifying false signals as opposed to actually radar. The K40 uses the latest in bluetooth wireless technology to make the install a much cleaner process also. Not having the side indicators might be more of an issue if the K40 gave false readings as often as the V1 does and I know this from comparing both on same roads around where I live. I literally have not had a singal false alert so far and this is on the same roads where my 8500 and the V1 were constanly going off. Anyways, sweet ride and good luck with your V1
I too was on the fence, but went with K-40 for that same reason, it's in line of sight, both front/back detectors, Bluetooth, hidden, very accurate, speed guarantee, lack of fasle detections, and most other people who've owned these and had V1's prior.

V1 is a great detector. Liked the one built into a rear view mirrror on one car I saw. Just do not like anything adding to the interior, that's why I also went with the Sirius kit for Cayenne SUV as it works with the PCM, no outboard device!

For the K-40, warnings are " Front.. K band" or "Rear X band" and as you get closer the beeping/chirping gets faster and faster as the LED blinks faster and faster as well.

Bottom line, at least have one of the two best detectors installed or you're asking for it!

Deanski
Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Perhaps we should have a K-40 in there as well! I imagine that being a superhet. design they are well shielded and won't drive each other unit crazy.

I'll have to snap a pic of where the antenna unit is located. It's just up to the left of the mirror. I'm going to do a little research into another location for it,--in the roll bar hump of the cabriolet. But, am unsure of the RF penetration of that area. Of course, you can pretty much write off laser then, I think.

The other day my Valentine was going nuts as I passed some sort of Lexus SUV,--no headlights on, but the laser alert on the V1 was going nutso! I understand that is due to their cruise control system.

Last edited by Edgy01; 07-22-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Another Valentine 1 Installation