Sponsored by:

Leather treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather treatment?

I know this isn't the detailing forum, and I've spent some time searching past threads - but I still can't find a definitive answer...

My C4S has the black full leather interior. It's beautiful, and I'd like to keep it that way... I know that there are many leather moisturizing solutions, and I've used Lexol Cleaner / Conditioner in the past on the Bimmer - works good, smells funky.

Does anyone have experience with the Zymol products? Looks like Z507 is the cleaner, Z509 the conditioner. I'm looking to keep the finish consistent with the factory look (matte), but keep it moisturized.

Comments?

Thanks, gang.

-don
Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

We've been discussing this topic in the "Some Photos" thread below! Great minds think alike... The Zymol is all I have used since getting the car last month. Moe Mistry is the guru on using their leather products and I have had great results. Moe can sell you the products, and tell you how to use them.

And the leather stays factory matte with Zymol, and feeds the leather beautifully - I love the way my interior looks.

Here's Moe's link:

www.glisteningperfection.com
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

I have started using Zaino (#9 and 10 I think) and they have a subtle, but pleasent leather scent to it. It is not oily and many people on the board here have positive remakes about it. So far it is not disappointing.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I use Zaino Leather in a Bottle. The smell is pretty strong when you open the bottle, but like all the Zaino product, you don't need to use a whole lot so once it's on the seats, it looks and smells great. I've got no idea how well it conditions the leather. Guess I'll find out in about 80000 miles or so.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Use Zaino for everything else. Love the products.

Thought I would try their Leather in a Bottle. I just received it and will use it next time I wash the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else use Lexol? Anyone?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

OK here we go again... I just posted the same over on same thread "Some Photos" but here goes:

Cleaning: Save your money! Use Woolite 6 to 1 with distilled water in a spray bottle and use 100% USA white cotton towels to see what you are removing.

Treatment: Oh I love Zaino Z-10 "Leather in a bottle" but feel it's to strong of a leather odor for a Porsche. It smells 100% like Lexus leathers. So, what I use now is 1Z "Lederpflege" for treatment of Porsche leather.

Lexol smells like goat pee and the feel of the leather after it is horrible. Works fine for household leathers, but not for close space like in a car interior. Lots of good marketing hipe with this product.

There is also Leatherique for really bad/neglected leathers. Works by using an oil to bring dirt and debris out of the leather as long as it's not sealed. Most of todays leathers are coated anyway, so all this "treatment" with natural oils is useless. The worst offender has to be Hide Food. Smells like Kerosene! Must be an English thing!

Go and snag the wife's Woolite (regular type) and some distilled water, mix up 6 to 1 and clean away.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 08-11-2006, 12:06 AM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Anyone else use Lexol? Anyone?
I just finished using Lexol on my wife's Cayenne S with full leather interior. I haven't tried anything else and quite frankly don't feel the need to as I am satisfied with the results.

There are plenty of leather cleaners/conditioners out there. With Lexol, Zaino, or any other major name brand, you really can't go wrong.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:36 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Lexol smells like goat pee...
Jim, I didn't know you were an expert on animal urine odors??? Do you live on a farm?
You didn't say pee in general, nor dog pee, nor cat ****. ... But goat ****???
I'll take your word for it.
Use Woolite 6 to 1 with distilled water...
6 parts Woolite to 1 part distilled water? I'll have to give that a try. After I run out of my....you know.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 AM
nick1
Track Day

has anyone evertried Original Porsche Leather Cleaner&Conditioner?

wonder it keeps the leather as matt as it is when new?

Nick
Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
Jim, I didn't know you were an expert on animal urine odors??? Do you live on a farm?
You didn't say pee in general, nor dog pee, nor cat ****. ... But goat ****???
I'll take your word for it.
6 parts Woolite to 1 part distilled water? I'll have to give that a try. After I run out of my....you know.
It's 6 parts water 1 part Woolite. Also good for carpet cleaning too!

I did live in a very rual area and my best friend younger brother had a goat as a pet. So one day as I opened a bottle of Lexol, I got a flashback of the odor. Thinking of "I've smelled this before, but where?" All of a sudden, I remember my past and that smell from the stable where the goat was kept. BINGO!

Deanski
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use Woolite 6 to 1 with distilled water...
Ohhh... You meant to say "Use Woolite 1:6 with distilled water."

That's a funny recollection on your part there, about your friend's brother's pet goat. He must have been very domesticated - the goat (I'm sure his brother was too). Wild goat **** really reeks....so I'm told.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the rehash, guys. The einsZett (1Z) stuff is worth exploring, thanks again Deanski.
Nick, if you try the Porsche stuff, please weigh in with your observations...

-don
Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Dont know about zymol(yet) but do NOT use meguires leather wipes.I bought some to try the other day and they make the leather look shiny and awful.I thought it dried to a matt finish but the shine stayed there.I now have to clean all this muck off so will probably use zymol leather cleaner
Old 08-11-2006, 05:12 PM
nick1
Track Day

@ Don: will do!

Quick Reply: Leather treatment?