Sponsored by:

DIY Oil Change in the 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
That's absurd. I wouldn't recommend that at all. You'll just make it more troublesome to install the oil filter housing. Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having the "low oil level" warning coming on when you first start it. All cars do that. Oh, I wouldn't mention it to your local Porsche technician that you do that.

As for your second statement there, I think you might be confused. The oil filter cartridge does not seat inside the housing. Are you sure you changed the oil yourself on your Porsche???
I didn’t ask for your recommendation, I only offered a useful tip to those among us that have enough coordination to keep an oil filter canister filled with oil in an upright position during the oil filter change.

I don’t know why I wouldn’t want to mention my method to a Porsche mechanic; it will certainly cause no problems if you’re not a klutz.

I realize that pre-filling the canister is not necessary but it can easily be done. Maybe you don’t possess the necessary skills to do it without making a mess (I didn’t spill a drop) but that is no reason to be such a condescending know-it-all.

I did in fact change my own oil on my 997S and as far as your second statement I think you are the one that is confused. The oil filter element does get seated inside the canister. If you look inside the canister you will see a round metal sleeve on the bottom of the canister, the oil filter element seats into that sleeve. You can either seat the oil filter element by physically pushing the oil filter element down into the canister before re-installing the canister to the engine or it will seat itself when you screw the canister back into the engine but the oil filter element does get seated into the canister.

Are YOU sure YOU changed oil yourself on your Porsche?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I didn’t ask for your recommendation....
I think you're forgetting whose thread this is on DIY oil changes. The steps detailed here are my recommendations based on the instructions in the Service Manual. And anything that I don't recommend I have made very clear.

If you want to document your own procedure with your own recommendations I suggest you do so.

But for now, I'll go ahead and close it up since the instructions here are pretty complete as it is.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Default Torque Values

Just wanted to summarize the torque values given by the Shop Manual in one post for reference purposes:

Oil Drain Plug: 8mm hex: ... 37 ft-lbs

Oil Filter Hsg
Spanner Tool: 27mm socket: ... 19 ft-lbs

Last edited by OCBen; 11-13-2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2006, 06:19 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance Products makes such a drain plug. It drains out with out taking the bolt loose.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 PM
nix0807
Advanced

great write-up! will be using this as a reference soon. Car is at 6500 on the oil, and a change is due.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ben for the write up!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Calling Ben's Oil Change Service

Ben:

I'm going to be changing the oil soon.

Can you please come over (to the Henderson House) and help? It's only 250 miles or so and what a fun road trip it would be.

Then we can go and play. Lots to do out here. We can go flying, or to The Strip, shooting up in the local hills with some of my buddies, or to the gun show coming up.

Of course, that is after a stop at Whole Foods or one of the numerous restaurants in the nearby District for some din-din.

Okay...you can bring the wifey too. We just won't go to Cheeta's then.

I've printed up your oil change instructions (in case you forget how in all the excitement), and have the Porter Cable ready for all those darn swirls I tried so hard not to get. Oh yes, I also have some of your favorite indulgence.

See ya soon.

Last edited by Dariof; 03-15-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I think I'm going to epoxy in a small magnet onto an extra aluminum oil plug and put it in during my next oil change. It will be interesting to see if anything shows up on it. I miss that from the older 911s//930s.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:20 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I think I'm going to epoxy in a small magnet onto an extra aluminum oil plug and put it in during my next oil change. It will be interesting to see if anything shows up on it. I miss that from the older 911s//930s.
Epoxy may fail in this application. High tempertures and differences in expansion/contraction of metals will probably eventually separate the epoxied joint. Would be more reliable to drill the magnet and bore into the plug and use a long pop-rivet (or similar) to more securely attach the magnet.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
Epoxy may fail in this application. High tempertures and differences in expansion/contraction of metals will probably eventually separate the epoxied joint. Would be more reliable to drill the magnet and bore into the plug and use a long pop-rivet (or similar) to more securely attach the magnet.
You're right, Marcel, the epoxy may possibly fail to hold under those conditions, but the drilling of the drain plug as you suggested would not be a smart idea either, as there will be no way to ensure a tight seal then to prevent seepage of oil.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 PM
bird man
8th Gear

Smile FLOTOOL #7 OIL FILTER WRENCH DOES NOT FIT WELL

Wanted to thank OCBen for getting back to me so quickly. My 997S was way overdue for an oil XCH so being a first for me I had a few critical questions that he answered that were already evident in his posts (I am slow to understand things!!!). One thing I felt worthy of mention is that the FLOTOOL oil filter wrench size #7 definitely lacks in fitment. I plan on returning mine for the metal one or for a different brand that fits better. In order to complete the task I had to cut two strips of paper and use them as a spacer/shim between the oil filter housing and the wrench itself. This does work. But why bother if I can get the right fitting wrench for the next change.

In addition, I put together pieces of 2X6's (dual layer to build up 4inches of elevation) that I happen to have until I had four sections each of them 4 inches thick. I then used a jack to lift each corner of the corner placing the dual layer of 2X6 under each tire. This worked for me since I already had the material.
I plan on mitering the 2x6's so I can drive the car onto the 2x6s next time!!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Did it last weekend and worked like a charm. Thank OCBen. Had a little difficulty with the air filter change but got it okay. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 AM
Rivan
Advanced

I also done the oil change myself today thanks to this thread. The strange thing is the computer didn't show any warning about the oil is low. Everything went smooth. This is the first time I changed oil on a car. The only thing I am not sure is where to install the "o" ring. I just put it around the oil filter in the canister. Can anyone please advise if thats correct? If not I can still go fix that. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
nerual
Intermediate

Out of curiosity, where do you guys buy your filters? I asked the dealer how much they charge, for a laugh, and obviously I am not paying $47 for an oil filter!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by nerual
Out of curiosity, where do you guys buy your filters? I asked the dealer how much they charge, for a laugh, and obviously I am not paying $47 for an oil filter!
$14 at Suncoast:
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=997maint

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change in the 997