Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Question

Old 07-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Pugnacious
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Chrono Question

My question is in regards to the throttle mapping change only, I am aware of the other changes Sport Chrono initiates and would like to focus just on the throttle mapping.

I hear claims that the car “feels” more responsive with Sport Chrono on but does the Sport Chrono package actually improve performance? I know it doesn’t change the power output of the engine (like on the GT3 where you get 13 more ponies by making changes to fuel delivery and timing), but that it just front loads the throttle response.

So my question is: with Sport Chrono on are 0-60, quarter mile or lap times improved? “Feels” more responsive is subjective and not provable but actual recorded track times are objective and verifiable. Is there an actual improvement in performance?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:01 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

No. The improvement is imaginary since, as you said, the mapping is the same - it just occurs sooner relative to pedal travel.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A number of adjustments are made in Motronic when the Sport function is
activated. The electronic throttle characteristicis switched to a steeper setting
(only in manual mode with Tiptronic S).
This produces a faster throttle response to accelerator pedal movements to
subjectively increase the spontaneity of the engine.

When the Sport Chrono button is pressed, the abrupt cut-off is active in 1st to 5th gears for the manual gearbox (without Sport Chrono function only in 1st and 2nd gears) and in the manual setting for Tiptronic transmission.
The so-called dash pot is executed less smoothly and with less emphasis on
comfort. This means that the throttle closes faster when released. The result
is a heightened, “racing-like” engine dynamic.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

One picture is worth a thousand words:

No change in acceleration numbers, just fun factor.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

go drive it -feeling faster is subjective - but trust me - you will feel it
Old 07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
go drive it -feeling faster is subjective - but trust me - you will feel it
It is interesting isn't it? It's definitely not faster, but what makes it seem faster is the quicker throttle blipping, quicker cut-off as mentioned above, and the throttle mapping.
I suppose in some ways it is like the PSE: it does not make the car faster, but it changes the visceral experience.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:22 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Just test drove a 997 S cabrio tip for a few hours , before that a normal 997 with PASM. Both had the sport chrono thing. I played with it constantly to see if I would miss it in my car. I now know for sure I will not miss it what so ever.
Car is not faster , does not feel faster , just more aggressive throttle response.
To me this is worth nothing. So I am happy I do not need to order it and end up with the ugly thing on the dash.
BTW, this button is similar to the sport button on the M3 I had a few years back. Never used it back than either.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:17 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find power delivery in standard mode to be more linear and a better representation of where you are in the gearing/horsepower range at any given time. I have found myself "flatfooted" when attempting a high speed merge in sport and finding there is a lot of throttle movement left but little additional horsepower. I believe it worked better on the M3 which had a peakier power delivery and 1000 extra rpm to playwith.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I find power delivery in standard mode to be more linear and a better representation of where you are in the gearing/horsepower range at any given time. I have found myself "flatfooted" when attempting a high speed merge in sport and finding there is a lot of throttle movement left but little additional horsepower. I believe it worked better on the M3 which had a peakier power delivery and 1000 extra rpm to playwith.
Agreed the 'Sport' button on the M3 worked better due to the nature of the S54 engine.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

I like to think of it as my "BI-POLAR" button,..allowing me to alter the car's personality instantly into a beast. Don't get caught up in the technical aspects of it--experience it and you too shall believe in the force.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:44 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
[SIZE=2]I like to think of it as my "BI-POLAR" button,.
LOL.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:40 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

From what I've read, Sport mode also cuts out the soft rev limiter, and defaults to hard fuel cutoff only at 7,300 rpm... FWIW.

-don
Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
From what I've read, Sport mode also cuts out the soft rev limiter, and defaults to hard fuel cutoff only at 7,300 rpm... FWIW.

-don
I have had the limiter shut engine down in normal mode (oops!).How is it different in sport? Is rpm 100 higher?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:07 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

gpjli2,

According to the owner's manual (p.71 US manual) - in Sport mode:

"...The rpm limiter charateristic is "harder", i.e. the engine is immediately throttled when the performance limits are reached (only in manual selection model for vehicles with Tiptronic S)."

Also, PSM's limits are relaxed. I've noticed this big-time, you can yaw the rear out considerably before PSM intervenes.

And, by the way - don't worry about hitting the rev limiter in either sport or regular mode. That's what it's there for - to prevent overrevs. You can hit it all you want, just don't select 2nd gear when you're going hard for 4th... <yeowch!>

-don
Old 07-09-2006, 12:51 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Sorry for a quick thread derail but does pressing the Sport button really lower the car by 10mm? I've tried to notice the diff in height but never could.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Question