Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Starving for Fuel

Old 04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Starving for Fuel

I filled up and drove on the freeway for about 15 miles and exited with no issues. After pulling away from the traffic signal the engine started misfiring @ 3K RPM's as if it was running out of gas. The engine idle was normal and rev'd smoothly in neutral. However, under load the car would hesitate, surge, lunge, etc while accelerating. The check engine light did not come on.

The service dept. was closed so my first stop was rennlist forum and my search turned up a few threads on misfire & bad gas, which suggested trips to the dealer with no clear resolution. I then contacted a knowledgeable salesperson (they do exist) and we discussed potential causes and solutions. He thought there could be a pressure equalization issue with the gas tank / fuel lines and suggested the following:

1. turn engine off
2. open gas cap
3. start engine and run for few minutes
4. put gas cap back on

I'm happy to report this worked! Hopefully this will save someone else the agony and frustration should this same problem happen to you.

EDIT: The problem came back again 300 miles later. I went for a drive with the service manager and fortunately it was still misfiring. The service tech and manager did another 5 minute test drive when they came back it was running smoothly after they "opened it up".

They think it's due to bad gas or a particle in the fuel system inhibiting the flow and suggested I drive it hard to keep it cleared out and don't use that gas station again.

I'm not convinced yet.

Links to similar symptoms:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/235679-check-engine-return-to-workshop-she-s-home.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/241365-help-something-is-wrong-with-my-car.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/175369-warning-about-gas-quality.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/238662-check-engine-light-triggered-twice-now.html

Last edited by zumaron; 04-13-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:13 PM
wardo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info....thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 09:38 PM
drbf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I had a similar problem and found water in my gas tank.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Zuma...
I think what your dealer described is what is referred to as "vapor lock." It's usually more of a problem on hot days but I didn't realize it still happens with today's designs of gas tanks and tank caps.

And Ben,...I will refrain from saying that I have had bad gas in my 997 too.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Zuma...
I think what your dealer described is what is referred to as "vapor lock." It's usually more of a problem on hot days but I didn't realize it still happens with today's designs of gas tanks and tank caps.

And Ben,...I will refrain from saying that I have had bad gas in my 997 too.
Dave - considering a couple of your recent quotes, "Cayman my ***" and "bad gas".... there could be a connection there!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Dave - "Cayman my ***" and "bad gas".... there could be a connection there!
OK, flag on the play (or is it *** on the play?).
Old 04-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

I posted a similar incident a couple of weeks back. Was going to take it in but has not happened since, and it seem sto be a 'common' phenomenon with explanation sometimes:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/262872-car-fluttering-today.html

also another thread on rennteam:http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...885#Post211369

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2006, 12:04 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Dave - considering a couple of your recent quotes, "Cayman my ***" and "bad gas".... there could be a connection there!
And that connection must be Dave's exhaust pipe.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Zuma...
Back in the good 'ol days of high school my volkswagon would vapour lock on hot days. It had a mechanical fuel pump that was on top of the crankcase and carburetor which was prone to vapour lock. I'd put ice cubes on it to cool it down -- probably didn't make a difference though.

I suspect it's something else with the 997 since the problem is occuring in varying climates. In addition, my car sat overnight and in the morning the symptoms still existed (low 40's). The good news is I didn't have to take it to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Deven
I posted a similar incident a couple of weeks back. Was going to take it in but has not happened since, and it seem sto be a 'common' phenomenon with explanation sometimes:
Thanks for the additional info. Fluttering wasn't one of the search terms I used, which is most likely why I didn't see your thread. :-/
Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys this is happening to my 996 at the moment too, and I think it is bad gas. Actually I think it is "summer gas" that mixes in some different additives and is not as efficient or pure as the gas that is refined in the colder months. I have almost run the tank dry. I am going to run some techron additive through it, and use a different station for gasoline and see if that helps. I have about 3k miles too.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM
kocsis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any suggestion for stations with "good gas"? I recently saw a posting of high quality gasoline companies...is that an accurate list? It doesn't include Mobil, which i thought had very good gasoline.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The one that I currently have that I believe is "bad" is Chevron which normally is a very good gasoline.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Starving for Fuel