Default 498 Delete Model Designation

What does this mean?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No 'Carrera' script/badge (black by default) applied to the rear/engine cover.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No 'Carrera' script/badge (black by default) applied to the rear/engine cover.
Believe the default color is silver, not black, on the 997?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would look like Ben's car:

Last edited by Soulteacher; 02-11-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I like the Carrera badge. I just ordered my 997S Cab. I'm glad I did not delete the name.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:36 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Wolfgang, I didn't know you had one of my baby pics!

Dariof, I used to wonder why guys would delete the model designation. Then I bought my first p-car, a Boxster S, and after spending hour after painstaking pain-in-the-*** hour trying to clean, polish, and wax between the letters and inside the letters, especially inside the "B" and the "e", it dawned on me. I am such a detail fanatic that I could not stand to see a loss of gloss in those tight to access tiny areas. I also had a black Boxster which compounded the problem.

So I swore that my next p-car would be ordered with model designation delete. I like the stealth look myself. Gives the car a more aggressive appearance I think, like an unmarked patrol car - you never know what the guy is packing under the hood, so don't mess with him.

I also plan to delete the model designation on my MINI Cooper I have on order. I'll have to use dental floss for removal since delete model designation is not an option for MINIs.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Ben:

I had not thought of that reason. It is a bit of a pain to clean the lettering around my other vehicles.

My vehicle is scheduled to arrive sometime in July. I purchased it from a dealer in Cleveland. It's long way from Vegas, but that's an excuse to g on out there and get away from the office for awhile.

Last edited by Dariof; 04-09-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:54 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, this option has traditionally been chosen by people who wanted others to believe they'd purchased a more expensive car. For example, a Mercedes SL 300 or BMW 525 owner would delete the model designation so they could leave in doubt (or lie about) the car being an SL 500/600 or a BMW 540.

Based on this premise and the fact there is no other visual distinction that is unique to the 997S (that can't be purchased as an option on a 997), I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that this option is more popular with buyers of 997 than 997S models.

That said I've ordered my 997S with the badge delete option for a cleaner look and because, an X51 997S will probably speak volumes - when I ask it to! But, most who know the badge is deleted will probably think it's a 997, not a 997S.

MC
Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I took of my badges off because they kept falling off.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:37 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the badge - to each his own
Old 04-09-2006, 01:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
My vehicle is scheduled to arrive sometime in July. I purchased it from a dealer in Cleveland. It's long way from Vegas, but that's an excuse to g on out there and get away from the offie for awhile.
I plan to be in Cleveland around the first week of July for our biennial family reunion. Let's keep in touch in case we might be there at the same time and you'd like to show off your new baby. I always enjoy seeing newborns.
Originally Posted by H20NOO
Based on this premise and the fact there is no other visual distinction that is unique to the 997S (that can't be purchased as an option on a 997), I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that this option is more popular with buyers of 997 than 997S models....But, most who know the badge is deleted will probably think it's a 997, not a 997S.
You're forgetting the distinctive quad tips and of course the red calipers of the S model. For those not familiar with the 997 version of the 911 the distinction is lost on them anyway. For those in the know, one quick look is all they need to know.

I don't think there are too many poseurs among owners of base 997s who would order the delete just so they could pretend to have a 997S.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Ben:

I will keep in touch and let you know when the dealer calls me.

I also would like the telephone number for the place in OC that put the clear protectant on the car. I have a place in Laguna Niguel, so going to OC for a few days is fine.

I am interested in the satellite radio option others are speaking of. I believe that is in South OC.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
wilam
Instructor

In Germany, I noticed that virtually all the cars (BMW. MB, Audi, Porsche) have opted for the model delete option. I had no idea whether the cars were diesels or V-12's! There were some owners who definitely had big engines under their hood with the model delete, as they blew by me pretty fast on the autobahn. I like the stealth idea but on N. American resale, I imagine most buyers would want to be able to show off their "Carrera S" badge vs. a regular Carrera
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
I didn't know you had one of my baby pics!
Well, I didn't really... but I remembered having seen your pic and then went looking for it. Bless the search function!

Originally Posted by Dariof
I like the Carrera badge. I'm glad I did not delete the name.
Remember that you can also get the badge in the color of your car (exterior color instead of silver). That's what I had ordered before I ended up buying my girl off the lot.

Originally Posted by wilam
In Germany, I noticed that virtually all the cars have opted for the model delete option.
You are right, I never thought about it. The crappy cars go into the other direction, though... they add badges: "turbo", "turbo injection", "4WD", etc.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
In my opinion, this option has traditionally been chosen by people who wanted others to believe they'd purchased a more expensive car. For example, a Mercedes SL 300 or BMW 525 owner would delete the model designation so they could leave in doubt (or lie about) the car being an SL 500/600 or a BMW 540.

Based on this premise and the fact there is no other visual distinction that is unique to the 997S (that can't be purchased as an option on a 997), I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that this option is more popular with buyers of 997 than 997S models.

That said I've ordered my 997S with the badge delete option for a cleaner look and because, an X51 997S will probably speak volumes - when I ask it to! But, most who know the badge is deleted will probably think it's a 997, not a 997S.

MC

I don't think that view is accurate in general.. though it may be in limited circles - say insecure 20-somethings in California.

Many folks order cars with 'designation delete' so washing/waxing is easier.

One could argue much stronger that the reason someone wants the designation, especially those with an S car, is because they want to brag/show off the extra money they spent on their ride.

Personally, I feel that anyone who buys a car or car configuration with an eye to showing off to others is an idiot. I buy my cars for me and only me and give no thought to what others may think about it.

Quick Reply: 498 Delete Model Designation