Sponsored by:

Car Seat in a 997 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
chbj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Seat in a 997 coupe

Before I ordered my coupe I researched the forum on car seats because it is important to me that my wife and 2 1/2 year old son can ride with me. Ok, the truth is my wife said no more 2-seaters for you.

In case others are lurking and/or looking for child seat advise I would like to share my experience.

The research told me the Britax Roundabout fits in the back seat and a number of booster seats would work too.

When my coupe arrived I bought a Roundabout and tried to install it. I got it in, but I had to move the passenger seat so far forward that my wife (5'9") couldn't sit comfortably any more. Bummer.

What I should have done in the first place and what I ended up doing was to go to a store with a car seat installer who could try any number of seats for fit.

The first thing he told me is that even though I got the Roundabout installed tightly in the seat doesn't mean it is installed properly. The buckle for the seat belt is too far forward which pulls the seat forward so that part of the base is hanging over the front of the seat cushion. In the case of an accident the car seat would be pulled sideways instead of straight forward because the bottom seat belt anchor is a lot further back than the buckle.

We tried a booster with a 5-point harness (Graco Ultra Car Go). Same problem. This time the seat was pulled sideways when trying to install it tightly.

The only thing that worked was a regular booster with a seat back (Britax Star Riser). My son is tall for his age (40") so the seat belt fits properly over his lap and shoulder because the top anchor point of the seat belt is fairly low for the back seat.

The installer told me even though my son is young for a booster a properly installed booster that fits is much safer than a convertible car seat that is not installed properly.

Now I just have to get my son to keep his seat belt on, which is a challenge.

This solution might not be available in the near future. The installer told me Britax is discontinuing the Star Riser and the replacement model will be too wide for the back seat.

So after my inital disappointment everything's good and my wife is happy with the solution. Now I just have to sell the Roundabout.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for the research/effort. I have been looking around for some time and cannot find the Star Raiser. Where did you find/get it?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

This has been much discussed by 997 owners with small kids. See:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=baby+seats

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=baby+seats

I can tell you that the Star Riser by Britax is the best fit by far. I purchased the Parkway by Britax as suggested by some on Rennlist, and it did not fit in my cab. It now resides in my Cayenne S. The safest bet for the 997, as the threads above suggest (among other things) and as you seem to have found, is the Star Riser by Britax.

The Star Riser can be purchased for $79 to $89 at:

http://store.yahoo.com/littlefolks/brstribocars1.html

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dPro...mfyboosterseat

and various other places.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Statman, thanks, I could not find it at BabiesRUs, etc, and did not know which online shops to check out. I know it is not that important, but what color goes well with almost black leather interior (natural grey to be exact).
Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
chbj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deven
Statman, thanks, I could not find it at BabiesRUs, etc, and did not know which online shops to check out. I know it is not that important, but what color goes well with almost black leather interior (natural grey to be exact).
The store I went to had only one left and it was denim blue. Not too bad in my black interior.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:01 AM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

Originally Posted by STATMAN
I purchased the Parkway by Britax as suggested by some on Rennlist, and it did not fit in my cab. It now resides in my Cayenne S. The safest bet for the 997, as the threads above suggest (among other things) and as you seem to have found, is the Star Riser by Britax.
I have the parkway in my c2s coupe and it work fine behind the wife 5'6 and so so behind me 6'2 (I have to move up more than I woud like).

So are the rear seats in the cab different then in the coupe?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:10 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USCHANDPOD
I have the parkway in my c2s coupe and it work fine behind the wife 5'6 and so so behind me 6'2 (I have to move up more than I woud like).

So are the rear seats in the cab different then in the coupe?
The only difference I know of is that the back rests on the cab seats are a tad bit less than 90 degrees to the seat bottom. In other words, the back rests tilt forward slightly. This is due to the room needed to stow the top behind the seats--unlike the coupe, of course. Other than that, I think they are the same.

The problem I found with the Parkway has nothing to do with this, though. I found that the seat bottom on the Parkway is too wide to fit nicely in the seat wells. There are little retractable cup holders on the sides of the Parkway that, even when stowed away, make the seat a bit too wide to fit properly. I even removed the seat bottom (which is attached by velcro) from my 997, and tried to fit the booster in--it made no difference. This is the Parkway model I purchased (which I thought would be a great match for my black interior!):

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?...e=07-7397137-2

Do you have a picture you could send of how your Parkway fits?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:13 AM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Do you have a picture you could send of how your Parkway fits?
I will try to get a picture but for one thing the seat I have has no cup holders on it. Same name and manufacturer though. The seat fits perfect in the rear.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

does porsche not make them?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

chbj - With a 2 1/2 y/o, I assume you still want a 5-point harness, not the booster-type seat. After some checking around, I bought the Eddie Bauer black leather car seat for my now 4 y/o daughter, and it fits well in the rear seat (it doesn't have a wide base like many seats). My wife can still sit relatively comfortably in the passenger seat (she's 5'7").

Based on the above advice, I also just ordered a Star-riser tonight, as my daughter is tall for her age and may be safer in a booster now.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:16 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USCHANDPOD
I will try to get a picture but for one thing the seat I have has no cup holders on it. Same name and manufacturer though. The seat fits perfect in the rear.
Interesting re: the lack of cupholders...I may have to hunt down your version. Where did you purchase it? I do really like the colors available for the Parkway and it seems to be a bit more substantial (and safe) than the Star Riser with more robust side-impact padding, etc.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Porsche baby seat, although expensive, is awesome. We now even use it in the Sequoia on occassion. The Porsche brand seat is great because it is narrow at the top, and it has an awesome Latch mechanism. Remember too that you can remove the lower seat cushions very easily, and then use a towel to add padding as necessary. This will give you more room.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
JC 911
Track Day

What does everyoone suggest for a childe that is less than 1 year?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:07 PM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

Originally Posted by JC 911
What does everyoone suggest for a childe that is less than 1 year?
Range Rover or Cayenne
Old 04-05-2006, 03:20 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USCHANDPOD,

I know you are proud of your stuff, but don'tcha think your sig is a little, how shall I say, big?

One post from you takes up the whole page.

TD

Quick Reply: Car Seat in a 997 coupe