Sponsored by:

997 Cab Owners Will Soon be Able to Open Top with Key in Lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Cab Owners Will Soon be Able to Open Top with Key in Lock

The only disappointment I have with my 997 cab over the 996 is the inability to open the top with the key in the lock which Porsche did away with. I really found it convenient. Wilhelmy-It is a German company that has put out a lot of modifications for the 996 (I'm not affiliated with them in any way) and a few months ago I wrote to them and asked if they were planning any mods for the 997. A few days ago I got an e-mail from them that I re-print below listing some of the mods they'll be coming out with, including allowing the top to be opened with the remote, as they do in Europe.

I contacted their US representative and am on the list to be a beta tester when the device is ready. I'll keep everyone posted.

Hi,

We at Wilhelmy-IT, now officially known as Mods-4-Cars, are happy to inform you that we are nearly finished with our new products for the 997.

You can read below about all the options featured in our new products.

If there is something that you feel we have overlooked, some function that you would like to see changed in the operations of your 997, please let us know via email. Our development team is always looking for new ideas.

Opening and closing of the top with convenient one-touch operation while
driving. Additional double-click feature rolls up windows after top has opened
completely.

One-touch operation of top and windows with the original remote and fully automatic closing of top and windows using the key in the door lock like on pre-2003 996 cabs.

Extended window control. Operation of rear windows without the need to use rocker selector. Simultaneous press of both window keys automatically opens/closes all 4 windows.

Lock-In Feature: Central locking sytem automatically locks when engine
is started and unlocks when engine is shut off.

Improved HOME Light . Lightswitch does not need to be set to the HOME
position by hand every time. Once this feature is enabled, it works when
locking or unlocking the car and switches the headlights on for 30 sec,
instead of the fog lights.

Best Regards,

Sven Tornow
Sales Manager

mods4cars
Wilhelmy-IT Inc.
Sales Office
Burgemeister Str. 36
12103 Berlin
Germany

mods4cars
Wilhelmy-IT Inc.
11321 W 112th Ter.
Overland Park, KS 66210
USA

Web: www.mods4cars.com

24h Hotline: GER +49-30-818747751 USA +1-619-3300901 UK
+44-207-9838501 Fax +49-30-40632377
Old 04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Good news! Thanks.

Dan
Old 04-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Why not just use the button on the key???
Old 04-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by 2 wh
Why not just use the button on the key???
Because that feature is not on the US cars (presumably for liability reasons). With the 996's we could at least open the top with the key in the door lock, but the feature was not continued on the 997's. What Porsche did instead was to allow the top to be operated while the car is in motion under 30 mph.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speed
Because that feature is not on the US cars (presumably for liability reasons). With the 996's we could at least open the top with the key in the door lock, but the feature was not continued on the 997's. What Porsche did instead was to allow the top to be operated while the car is in motion under 30 mph.
Didnt know that.In practice the key button can be a pain anyway-you have to aim it at the infa red receiver on the dash and if it is not aimed properly or something gets in the way of the beam then the roof stops and when you press the button again the roof works in the opposite direction.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
dom4471
Instructor

being able to open the roof using just the keys is a bonus ,somtimes when the car has been sitting in the sun and its an oven inside, u can just open the roof from outside releasing all the hot air. the ability to open the roof at under 30mph/50kpm is new for the 997 model here and is good news, expecially if you drive in the city. i had to try and get to know the times for the traffic lights, to work out if i had time to put the roof up or down before lights changed and honking started behined me
Old 04-05-2006, 02:52 PM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

agreed, i would love this idea
Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speed
Opening and closing of the top with convenient one-touch operation while driving. Additional double-click feature rolls up windows after top has opened completely.

One-touch operation of top and windows with the original remote and fully automatic closing of top and windows using the key in the door lock like on pre-2003 996 cabs.

Extended window control. Operation of rear windows without the need to use rocker selector. Simultaneous press of both window keys automatically opens/closes all 4 windows.
These are GREAT features--I wish they were available straight from the factory. The one-touch operation of the top while driving and the simultaneous press of both window keys automatically opening/closing all 4 windows would be at the top of my list (is PAG listening?!?)..
Old 04-08-2006, 09:31 PM
gepoersch
Track Day

just talked to them (wilhelmy-it), they have implemented even more features right now: delayed trunk operation, open/close beep and improved homelight function (you can enable the high beam with a button on the key remote).
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM
gepoersch
Track Day

@2 wh: Didnt know that.In practice the key button can be a pain anyway-you have to aim it at the infa red receiver on the dash and if it is not aimed properly or something gets in the way of the beam then the roof stops and when you press the button again the roof works in the opposite direction.

the onetouch function should eliminate this problem, and it works perfectly on my friends '06 997 cab!

@STATMAN
As far as I know (my friend has received his smarttop yesterday) you can operate all 4 windows without using the rocker switch!

Quick Reply: 997 Cab Owners Will Soon be Able to Open Top with Key in Lock