997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron's C4s Cab & Options Review (huge)

Old 03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ron's C4s Cab & Options Review (huge)

UPDATED 7/9/06 with current thoughts.

Since so many people here were so kind when helping me decide how to equip my car, I thought I'd share with them my personal review of what I ended up with and what I think after 3700 miles & 5 months of ownership. I am hoping that other people who are ordering will find this review to be helpful when deciding what features they should get.

Exclusive Options
XCZ Sports Shifter ($765) - When you first run the car in the morning, you will find that you have to shove the shifter into first gear with more force than you would expect is necessary. All of the other gears are smooth as silk, and first is fine after the car is warmed up. When warm, it is the greatest gearbox I've ever used in my life, so despite the first gear stiffness issue when cold, I highly recommend it. It also gets easier after 3000 miles, and you can make the shift easier to first by first dropping partially into 2nd and then going forward to first.

Is it worth $765? - probably not because the stock gear box is excellent, so I consider this high on the "nice to have" list.

XLF Sports Exhaust ($2,400) - If sound is important to you, then this is a MUST HAVE. I'll agree with those who say that the 997 exhaust sounds like flatulence, and this just makes it sound like the day after chili night at the local greasy spoon, but just like farts made you giggle like a schoolgirl as a kid, this will do the same to you as an adult. The enhanced quality of the tips and true dual pipes make it a nice upgrade over the stock, and the ability to turn off the interior pipes to quiet it up a bit is nice when traveling with kids or in neighborhoods during sleeping hours.

The only way to TRULY enjoy 100% of what this has to offer is by unplugging the cable in the deck (search for PSE on the 997 forum and you'll find lots of pics and instructions including a different approach by robbonds).

Is it worth $2,400? - No, it is WAY overpriced, but neither is the base price of any 997. This is something that you just buck up and pay if sound is important and forget about it. You WILL NOT regret it, and you'll really enjoy turning on the PSE and blipping the throttle when your neighbors or cute chicks are out to get their attention. Personally, I wouldn't own a 997 without it.

XPA Thicker Sport Steering Wheel w/ Smooth Leather ($800) - I like a think steering wheel, and find the wheels in BMW M powered cars, Mercedes, and Ferrari's to be excellent in their thickness. The regular Porsche steering wheels simply feel too thin for my big hands, and the leather quality is significantly improved on this wheel over the base wheel. Do I miss the multi-function? No, the PCM is so close to my hand that it really isn't a distraction. There is also a noticeable seem in the center of the wheel where the soft leather molds too because underneath it there is a split panel for the airbag deployment. If you are obsessive compulsive, this will drive you crazy so I wouldn't recommend it to those types, but to everyone else you'll get used to it.

Is it worth $800? - If you have big hands AND you have full leather and want a similar quality leather on the wheel, then it is a must. If you have small hands, don't care about wheel thickness, and don't have full leather then this is a waste of money so spend your $800 on something like the Sports Shifter.

XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest ($270) - This option was the most popular option in the 997 for 2005 (ref available upon request) and it does look cool. This means that when reselling your car people will likely be looking for it and prefer your car over an identically equipped version without this option.

Is it worth $270 - NO, it should be done for free or for about $50. This is one of those options like illuminated door sills that you do if you can afford it, but it makes no sense otherwise.

Regular Options

AT Full Leather ($3,365) - I value a quality "coach" of a vehicle, and prior to this car I always held my Mercedes with Nappa Leather interior as the bar by which I judged other "coaches". Few vehicles met or exceeded the bar, and the standard leather of the 997 didn't seem worthy of such an expensive vehicle. Although I had test driven cars with AT, I didn't pay close enough attention to how good the quality of the leather was and I had feared I made a poor decision to pay for this expensive upgrade. I was wrong, and the quality of this leather is OUTSTANDING. It is on pair with the likes of Rolls Royce, Bentley and high quality furniture (like the $3500 each leather chairs in my home), so I was very happy with this decision. The attention to detail is superb as well, like the fact that Alacantara leather is used where the seat back meets the seat bottom so as to avoid squeaks, when other car makers would typically use felt or fabric. WARNING: The dash leather is so soft that it dents easily, so if you have a radar detector fall on it (as I did one hour after I got the car) it will leave indentations that take a long time to go away (if at all). ONLY get this option if you plan to treat it gently and take proper care of it as it will be high maintenance (no vinyl cleaners at all on the interior with this stuff).

Is it worth $3,365? - Absolutely, and I consider it a bargain for the quality and craftsmanship you get. Unless you plan to track your car exclusively and therefore would be abusing this leather, then I couldn't imagine owning a Porsche without it.

M6* Porsche Letter Floor mats ($115) - Yes, this is one of those "you've gotta be kidding me" options that should be standard on this car, but it is a tax I think you should just pay and consider it part of the base price. Some go with Lloyds mats instead, but I say suck it up and get it from Porsche.

Is it worth $115? - No, but they are high quality floor mats and you'd be a fool not to get them (unless you are purchasing this car for racing).

P01L Adaptive Sports Seats ($2,695 w/ full leather hence the L in the code) I'm 6'1" 180 lbs with a bad back. When I first sat in these seats I was worried about the "lumpiness" of the lumbar region, but appreciated not having my shoulders spill off the sides of the seats as they do in the standard seat. I also found the upper AND lower side bolsters to be the perfect balance of support versus everyday practicality. After driving 90 miles home from the dealership with these seats and having my back feel refreshed (a first for any trip greater than 40 miles), I was sold. I absolutely LOVE these seats and I scoff at the naysayers who say otherwise.

I have the default seatbacks which I believe look excellent with my black interior and with two kids (4 & 7) who get shoe markings on the seatbacks, I have found them to be very durable. Marks have wiped off without issue and they look good as new.

Is it worth $2,695 or more? - HELL YES! Unless you are a heavyset person who finds the side bolsters to be too restrictive, I find these seats to be as important as getting a manual transmission and an S model of this car. I wouldn't possibly own any Porsche without these seats after experiencing them.

[UPDATED 7/9/06] These are quite simply the best seats I've ever had in an automobile. I LOVE them! Unlike others, I've not had any trouble with wearing a helmet with these seats and the rear space for the kids has been fine.

267 Self Dimming Rear Mirrors ($385) - If you plan to drive at night, then these are like the floor mats. Pay the tax and be done with it.

Is it worth $385? - NO, but if you drive at night just pony up.

342 Heated Front Seats ($480) - I am VERY picky about the quality of heated seats because I find the quality ranges from terrible (Lexus) to outstanding (Mercedes) among different car companies. The fact that these use a digital instead of analog switch is great because it allows them to turn off when you turn off the car. I find that they heat up quickly and that low works well. High is a little to hot for my taste, but it is fine to start up in high to get the chill off. I haven't tried them with my top down, so I may appreciate the added heat of high in that scenario. I also find the heating to be very uniform across the back and lower seat cushions instead of concentrated to just one spot like some inferior implementations (Lexus).

Is it worth $480? - YES, if this is a car you intend to drive with the top down on days where temps are below 50 F or with the top up on days where temps are below 40 F. I find them to be a relative value for the quality of uniform heating you get. If you are going to keep the car in the garage in the cold or mostly track it, then don't bother.

405 19" Carrera Classic Wheels ($390) I got these because I hate cleaning wheels and I thought the price was a bargain for that luxury. After getting them I feel like a genius for ordering them. Not only are they easy to clean, but they also allow you to clean those pretty red brake calipers so they look their best (I hadn't thought of that before purchasing)!!!!! I also appreciate that I can reach my hand between the spokes and clean the interior of the rims because this surface area is so huge (especially on my rear 305's). It allows me to have a concours clean looking wheel and I love it. I also think these wheels are just way too fine looking, so I'm as happy as a hog in slop!

I will say that 19" wheels are a bit harsh and that Porsche screwed up by going with such large rims. Sure they look good, but the 18" provide more of the traditional Porsche balance between everyday comfort and sportiness. If you have a non-S then get PASM and skip the 19" rims and you'll have the best combo of daily driving and track worthiness that Porsche offers in my opinion.

Is it worth $390? HELL YES! This is the best deal Porsche has on the options list, so if you like the way they look and/or hate cleaning wheels, then this is a must have option. They also vent the brakes really well, so that is extra goodness too.

446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest ($185) They don't improve performance and they are way overpriced, but I think it is one of the few options that I just look at, smile and say WOW every time I see them. They just make the car and I wouldn't own a Porsche without them.

Is it worth $185? Yes. Sure, they are overpriced, sure you can find cheaper ones on the net, but personally I'd rather order them with the car and have them under warranty. I know they won't fade and if they do, they'll be replaced. They just look fantastic and should be standard as far as I'm concerned.

482 Tire Pressure Monitoring System ($590) This will be standard next year, so if you don't want to envy next years model then this is a no brainer. Personally I enjoy seeing real-time tire pressure and the cost of one of my rear 305 tires is going to be pretty close to $590 after installation & shipping so I figure it is a good investment to ensure I get as many miles out of those tires as possible by keeping them properly inflated. I ended up enjoying this feature WAY more than I expected because I find it to be a 10 on the coolness factor. Gadget geeks love it, so it gets lots of WOW's from friends too.

Is it worth $590? If you are looking to save money, then skip this option as it is over priced (and possibly wait until 2007 to get it included in the MSRP). If you are a gadget geek carrying an ipod and a camera phone, then this is a must have.

[UPDATED 7/9/06] One added bonus of this option is that heat translates to pressure, so this is also like having a heat monitor on your tires which is very useful on the track when you want to have an idea if you tires are warmed up and what kind of traction you can expect. It is also great because 19" wheels don't hold much air, so it is easy to get TOO MUCH air pressure in your tires when they get really warmed up (around town or at the track) so you know when to let some air out.

One other thing to mention is that tires don't heat evenly, so you'll notice that the pressures are different on each tire a lot of time during city or twisty driving. This may drive some OCD people nuts.

WARNING TMPS isn't 100% real time so you can't watch the gauge while you inflate your tires because your next reading will show you are about 5 psi over-inflated (and vice versa)!

635 Parking Assist System ($530) I have had this feature on my last two Mercedes and the implementation there is perfect because you get visuals as well as audio cues (the Cayenne does this too). I also find this technology to be superior to cameras because it has always worked well for me when dirty and in dark areas. Porsche's integration into the bumper is perfect because unlike other cars it is neither raised nor inset into the bumper, so at many angles it is hard to tell they are even there (see my pictures). An added bonus is that the car has a single tone when you have put it into reverse so you know you aren't in first. The audio cue isn't too loud, so you need to turn down the radio, but it is very helpful when backing up in a parking spot -- especially on fat *** cars like the C4s!

Is it worth $530? HELL YES! Unless you can't stand the looks of the sensors, this is actually a very fair price for this feature and it is MUCH cheaper than a bumper repair (my front bumper repair was $823 so do the math). I wouldn't own a Porsche without it.

640 Sport Chrono Package Plus ($920) [Updated 7/9/06] You CAN feel the difference in throttle response, but you feel the difference because less effort from your foot causes the throttle to respond quicker so you go faster - up to a point. If you are a smooth driver who doesn't just smash the pedal on every gear shift, then you'll notice a difference. If you are a pedal smasher, you won't see a difference.

There are two negatives I've noticed with Sports mode:

The first is that the increased throttle response early means you end up with a dead zone in the last 20% of the pedal travel and I don't like that feeling.

The second is that it can make stop and go traffic a little more jerky as it is hardER (NOTICE I DID NOT SAY HARD I SAID HARD-ER) to go smooth at slower speeds.

When I had PSE connected I LOVED the sports mode because of the better exhaust note and the increased throttle response so it just felt like a new car. However, I find that now that I have pulled the PSE cable and it is on all of the time I almost never push the sports button anymore. I prefer the smoother throttle mapping you get with Sports off, and the fact that if I have the pedal pressed 80% of the way and I floor it then I still get more power (versus a dead zone with sport mode on).

To me the biggest advantage of sports mode is that you get a relaxed PSM (noticed I said PSM as in stability management, not PASM). This allows the back end to get thrown out up to 18 degrees before PSM intervenes. This is very noticeable on the track and especially the wet skid pad, so I do prefer this. With PSM totally off the car will happily let you do a 180 or 360 so there's no middle ground without the sports button. To me, this is the biggest advantage of this feature and is why I'd still get it if I were to do it again.

I still enjoy the sports chrono display on the Trip menu where I can record laps and the sports chrono will examine my fuel economy and tell me how many more laps I can do on the current tank of gas -- BRILLIANT! It even has graphs of the laps!!!!! This feature to me is iPod Nano cool and a no brainer for gadget geeks and performance drivers.

Is it worth $920? It depends on how you will use the car. If you plan to go out on the track and want a balance between no PSM and full PSM, then this is a must have feature. If you want full PSM off the track and no PSM on the track, then it isn't worth it. I still think you'll get dinged for not having it if or when you try to resell your 997.

680 Bose High End Sound Package ($1,390) 997's have traditionally had crappy audio systems, and rumor had it that this had improved in the 997's. In my opinion it hasn't. Sure PCM is great, but the sound quality still bites. Sure it is a vast improvement from the 996 but it is still crap. I know people say "no highs, no lows, must be Bose" but I'm not an anti-Bose bigot. My expectations are low for cars and I don't care for aftermarket solutions, so I just always get the premium audio option and deal with it. Lexus and Acura have the best in the business, but Porsche's Bose system is just crappy compared to even my Bose Premium system in my Mercedes. I also find the PCM interface to be too difficult to use for things like Mute (should be a hard button), repeat, random, etc... Overall I'm highly disappointed, but I'd still get it again because if this is the best system and it is this bad I can't comprehend how bad the base system would be.

NOTE: I am not an audiophile with a super expensive system at home. My home audio system is a rather modest (but top of the line) Sony/Denon/Polk combo that is on the high end of the consumer market but no match for audiophile systems.

Is it worth $1,390? This is a major rip-off and not worth it. Only waste your money on it if you can't tolerate the base system or are used to crappy audio and you find this to be good.

[Updated 7/9/06] - This sparked a great debate in my original post, so I'll update this to say that I feel the same way after all of this time. I do agree that you'd probably be better off trying to sell your car with it than without it, but you won't recoup your cost. I'd probably buy it again just because I want the best that is offered, but I still don't think it is very good.

The Car Itself - Midnight Blue C4S Cabriolet w/ Black Top
In a word - PERFECTION!

The 993 is a thing of beauty with an exhaust blessed by the gods. The 996 is a proper Porsche for the 21st Century with beautiful lines and the first interior worthy of its purchase price (and I also love its headlights unlike many). However, the 997 is the first Porsche that I believe competes with luxury brands like Mercedes, Bentley, Aston Martin, etc... for having a 21st century first class coach worthy of transporting someone who can afford these vehicles. However, it also has something those brands don't - Porsche performance kicked up a notch that will make Vette, Ferrari, and Lambo owners take notice and envy.

Many will argue that the grip on the 997 is so good that it really doesn't need All Wheel Drive. Many will also argue that unless you are driving your 997 in the snow and ice (which I don't) then the 4 is a waste of money. Others will argue that the 1.75" wider back end and the 305's really aren't very noticeable so there is no aesthetic reason to get the 4. Lastly, some will argue that the steering is heavy and the car understeers like a pig. While there may be a tiny morsel of truth in each of those statements, overall I say phooey!

I like a car that is on rails where all of the power I paid for is transferred to the road to help propel the car without scrubbing it off. Sure tossing the back end is fun on the track, but doing so on a tight and wet mountain road can result in a totaled 997.

I only intend to drive my car on dry clean streets whenever possible (at least while it is new) and I absolutely adore the traction this car provides. The steering is not one ounce heavy in my book and my friends who own M3's couldn't tell the car was AWD because the steering "stiffness" at slow speeds was comparable to their cars (and MUCH lighter than 996 4's). This car is simply the best gripping car I've ever driven in my life without any hint of understeer at sane speeds (I haven't been on the track yet).

I also think the rear end is a thing of beauty (look at my avatar! ), so while it may not be a huge difference I personally notice it and appreciate it. I loved the back ends of the 993 C4s and Turbos, so to me it just adds more to the classic look that its front oval headlights bring out. Everyone who has commented on my car (about 20 people) have independently said they love the back end the best and some have said that they deem it to be automotive perfection. I couldn't agree more. Baby's got back, and I love it!

I have no regrets and feel like my money was well spent getting a 4. If I couldn't afford to get a 4, I'd try to wait until I could (and did). However, I'm certain I'd be happy in a 2 as well (ignorance is bliss).

[Updated 7/9/06] - After a great day during a Porsche Club Drivers Skills Event, I have absolutely NO regrets going with the 4. I'd do it again without hesitation. Go check out my Google Video of my first track day to see what I mean!

S
I've been very happy with PASM and the additional power that the 3.8 offers. Is it necessary, no, but I'd save my pennies longer and get an S as I think it is worth the extra money. The only regret with the S is the 19" wheels as mentioned earlier because they are too harsh.

[Updated 7/9/06] - PASM rules! If ever I have a chance to purchase a car in the future with or without it (or something similar) I wouldn't think twice about getting it. It simply rules for the best of both worlds!

Cabriolet in black
Some say real men don't drive Cabriolets, and to them I say bull sugar! To me sports cars are meant to be cabs so you can enjoy the sun on your skin (with sun block ) and take in nature. If I had endless funds, I'd only own one cab and the other cars would be coupes due to the maintenance requirements of fabric tops, but overall I have no regrets.

Purists argue that too much chassis rigidity is lost when you cut the top off and generally that is true because cars traditionally are built as coupes and the tops are simply removed when they are turned into cabs. For the 997 Porsche designed the cab first to ensure property torsional rigidity and when it was complete, they added a top for the Coupe. This helped the coupe and naturally it is stiffer, but there has been zero sign of flex or rattle in my driving on local twisty roads. Sure if this was a pure track car I'd go with a coupe, but it is not so I'm happy with the choice.

I chose the black top which I think is more traditional and looks better with the midnight blue than the blue top, but this is simply personal preference. I find a lint roller (the sticky kind) useful to clean the fuzz of the top and it is definitely more maintenance, but overall it is very well done. Interior noise is loud from the windows, but not from the top. Interior comfort is excellent even at 18 degrees which I've experienced once, so I don't believe a hardtop is justified unless you'll be using it as a daily driver in the winter and don't want to get your fabric top all ratty looking from muddy road spray.

Midnight Blue
I love black and have had two black Mercedes in a row. I also know feel that the 997 looks stunning in black, but I'm super happy with my midnight blue. In overcast conditions it looks black. In sunny conditions it has a wonderful blue metallic flake (see my avatar) and at some angles it has a kick *** purple hue (my son thinks it is a blue/purple pearlescent paint). I have no regrets on the color choice and the contrast of the Porsche (front) & Carrera 4S logos (rear) is just drop dead stunning. The wheels and lights contrast nicely as well. I also find that when it is overcast, the black top makes the car look jet black so it is like owning a tri-color car so it never gets dull!

[Updated 7/9/06] - Still love the Midnight Blue, but if the budget was tight I'd do black or speed yellow and use the paint money for one of the options I've listed.

Regrets
Overall I can say I have no regrets, but if I had more discretionary funds I’d consider getting the following options:
  • Natural Leather Grey (which looks black to me)
  • PCCB’s but only if I could get them painted red (just to avoid brake dust as the brakes are insane good on this car)
  • Electronic Logbook (which requires Extended Nav) – I would just love to have a log of the trips this car takes and I’m into geeky stuff like this
  • More leather (as much as I could afford, but at a minimum the center console and visors)
  • Storage lid bin with Crest - this just looks bad ***
  • Illuminated C4s Sills – not needed, but just a 10 on the cool/geek factor
  • Aluminum footrest – Not sure why this isn’t standard, but it does look nicer in alum. I may do this one after the fact.

Well there you have it, probably the longest post in Rennlist history, but I felt some would enjoy the read.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ronmart; 07-09-2006 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Updated on 7/9/06 to reflect updated thoughts after more time with the car
The following users liked this post:
Aubergine 73 (01-17-2024)
Old 03-02-2006, 05:03 PM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ronmart:
As a prospective C4S buyer, I thank you for the comprehensive write up!!!
Very useful and addressed many concerns about the car.
Enjoy and if you get tired of it.. first dibs
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AudiologisTT
ronmart:
As a prospective C4S buyer, I thank you for the comprehensive write up!!!
Very useful and addressed many concerns about the car.
Enjoy and if you get tired of it.. first dibs
I wrote it for people like yourself, so I'm glad you found it useful. I know I was wishing for such an article when I was ordering my car.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great write up Ron..very informative....i am looking and going crazy with the option choices...sometimes i wish all the 911s came equiped the same...too many damn choices!!!! btw,you are a very good writer in addition to your great taste in cars!!!! it funny, i finally got to test drive a c4s and it was a cab..i was impressed with the tightness of the body and its light feel...the steering was very minimally heavier than the c2s coupe i drove next, but the difference was very small!!!..and i have been all set to buy a coupe, but then i love cabs also and when i was the rear of the c4s cab, wow!!!!! j-lo would be jealous...so know i dont know??? the coupe is lighter and slightly faster but i am not sure anyone would notice the extra weight or loss of ridigity on the road.....of course the c4s cab goes for an extra 16k $...ouch!!!! but anyway
Old 03-02-2006, 07:35 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

I sympathize with your delima scycle2020!

I have always been passionate about having a cab, so that is what I went with. However, I had plenty of times where I thought I should just do the coupe to save money. Of course, then I'd say "well if I don't get the cab then I should get X51" and the savings vanished.

My recommendation is to do what I did. Sit down and pick out what you really want, and do it without looking at the price. Figure out what you think you must have versus what is nice to have and then price it out. If you can afford it now, then order it. If you can't, then keep saving a little longer as you'll be happier in the long run. After all, these cars are so expensive that many people will just get one crack at doing this new and you don't want to have any regrets.

Besides, the depreciation is too painful for a do over, so waiting an extra 6 - 12 months is less painful than living with the car for X years saying "gosh, I wish I would have gotten X".

Oh yeah, and if you own an home don't forget that the equity in it can help you to get an easy fixed rate loan that will make your new 911's loan interest tax deductable!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Many Thanks for the Reassurance!

My spec (car to be built next week) is pretty close to yours, so I was glad to see that most of the options you ordered were of value to you. Mine will be a C2S Cab in Seal Gray, and I'm getting Sport Designs, and adding leather rear center console to your spec, and waiting to add the short shifter maybe once the gear box as loosened up a bit.

Cheers and thanks again for your review.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 55 Posts

Ron,

Great review!!!

I have a C4S Coupe on order with many of the same options and I share your views. This post will be of tremendous value to anyone considering the purchase of a new 997.

Enjoy the car, it looks truly stunning in Midnight Blue.

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the kind words!

Good luck Le Chef - I'm looking forward to seeing those pics when she arrives!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:24 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Great narrative Ron. I hope many readers appreciate the time it must have taken to type and proof read your review. Great job.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:37 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Great narrative Ron. I hope many readers appreciate the time it must have taken to type and proof read your review. Great job.
Thanks - that is the biggest compliment yet because I didn't feel like proof-reading it, so I just wrote it once and spell checked! WHEW!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

ron-great review. i recently turned in my 996tt after lease ended and picked up a c4s launch vehicle, with many of the same options that you have. your insight is impressive. i am wondering, why no nav?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Cogito
Racer

Excellent write-up ronmart, thank you!
It should be very helpful to all placing an order.
Maybe you'd like to also post it over at rennteam.com?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by docjackson1
ron-great review. i recently turned in my 996tt after lease ended and picked up a c4s launch vehicle, with many of the same options that you have. your insight is impressive. i am wondering, why no nav?
Thanks!

I have two other vehicles with nav and envision using them when I really need it.

I also felt the price was outrageous since the cost was as much as my laptop for which I have Microsoft Streets & Trips and a GPS on a 17" widescreen display. In a pinch I could use it in the 911 if I had too, but I couldn't use it while driving because it would get tossed around.

I'm pretty used to nav, so if I decide I can't live without it then I'll take the pain and by it for even more money after the fact. For now though, I'm hoping I can live without it.

As I said, I really do wish I had the logbook feature. I'd love to be able to track when technicians & valets (when I'm ready for that ) drive it.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronmart
Thanks!

As I said, I really do wish I had the logbook feature. I'd love to be able to track when technicians & valets (when I'm ready for that ) drive it.
I believe that's an easy dealer add-on. I think they insert a disc and hook up PIWIS.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

thanx ron. i do agree with you about the leather-much better quality than on my 996tt. under 80 mph, not much speed difference than a turbo, but above 80, there's the difference. the upcoming turbo should be an experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ron's C4s Cab & Options Review (huge)