A Neat Trick: Ascertaining your PCM Version

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:15 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Neat Trick: Ascertaining your PCM Version

Folks,

As part of my research into the sat radio install, I found myself researching the various PCM software versions. I was curious as to my own PCM software version. Let me share some knowledge with you.

Note 1: I do not THINK you can do any damage here, but proceed at your own risk. As far as I can tell, you cannot change any settings, and the following steps only display information.

Note 2: I dont 'think' it matters whether you have PCM 2.1, PCM 2.1A or PCM 2.1B for the sat radio install (assuming my attempted install even works). So it really does not matter anyway from what I can tell.

Note 3: PLEASE don't ask me questions such as differences between versions of the PCM software. I have no idea. There are many others on this Board smarter than me that can help you.

So, with the above said, first take out any telephone SIM cards from the SIM slot (if applicable) and remove any CDs from the in-dash CD player. Next, the following is a 'trick' to display the software versions of the PCM and related components. Turn on the PCM screen, i.e., turn on the radio, and then depress the "MAIN" and "TRIP" buttons simultaneously. The term "SW Versions" will appear, and you can scroll to the various components to display software versions using the right scroll ****. Select PCM and press the scroll ****.

Write down the software version of the PCM. To exit, press the "back" button a few times (you know, the button with the round circle arrow thing under the "set" button) to exit out of the SW menu to get back to the normal PCM display.

If your PCM software version is "05024xxx" you are at PCM 2.1B, and this is the most current version. You should be at this version if you have a 2006 997.

If your PCM software version is "04202xxx" you are at PCM 2.1A, and this is not the most current version, but the prior version.

If your PCM software version is "04035xxx" you are at PCM 2.1, and this is not the most current version, but the second removed version (prior to PCM 2.1A).

If you want to use the latest version of the Navigation DVD (labeled 04.2005 or higher), you apparently need a software update to PCM 2.1B.

Please note: THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO PLAY .MP3 CDs in the in-dash player. No software update will help you achieve this objective.

I do know PCM 2.1B allows for updated and new navigation features, and is a requirement to use the most up to date NAV disc, but i am not exactly sure which features are updated. I know it involves an expansion of digitized roads from 3,000,000 miles to 5,000,000 miles, but that's about it.

Why am I posting this? Because several people sent me IM's trying to figure out which PCM versions they have.

Listen, I am no expert. I only know enough to be dangerous. I am just passing along what I am learning in my travels.

Enjoy....

Adam

Last edited by 1080iAddict; 02-01-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

quick update: The ability to upgrade - may - be dependent on hardware. I say this because I know at some point they started putting SIM trays into the cars as part of the PCM system. But if it is not hardware dependent, I suppose you could order the upgraded NAV disc which presumably has all the updated street stuff.

Then, because you apparently need the PCM 2.1B to use that new NAV disc, service will upload a software update to PCM 2.1B first, as part of the process to allow disc compatibility (tell them in case they forget and tell them you 'read it on the internet' ). You would then have the latest software for PCM along with any other features you get in "B" (there is a TSB out there that describes some of the features, such as traffic report integration that shows you where traffic is located....BUT... the chances of a radio station putting out that data to make the feature operate, at least here in the USA, are probably slim to none (how long did it take to get RDBS radio stream data for song names and station info??? But I digress).

As far as I can tell, other than maybe more streets on the NAV display, you gain nothing from an update. Again, this is my interpretation based on what I have read....I would ask the parts department or service advisor and don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Adam...thanks for all of your efforts on the PCM stuff. It's really cool, even if I can't understand 90% of it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:13 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Thanks Coochas. Anything I can do to 'pay it forward' for all I have learned in here during the past 6 months.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks Addict - my '05 997 cab with a June '05 build date has the latest software (PCM 2.1b). I'm following this and the related thread closely for what develops.

YoungTurk
Old 02-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1080iAddict: Thanks for the input. I am semi-lurking in this forum preparing to order a 997 Cab (and sell my 993 Cab). BUT, I tried your query on my Cayenne and got the following:
Software=3.0
PCM=3.0
Device type=6636
Serial number=450340978

Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:17 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember that, the manual tells of a way for you to get the unit to display it's software version. I found mine that way somehow but it was a while ago.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:59 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Raptor, I have no idea other than you can select like 5 different devices to show version numbers, such as the amplifier, cd changer, PCM unit, etc. I don't recognize those numbers at all but by no means am I an expert.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Chris651
Intermediate

Default Unsure?

Hello,
Quick question, I just did as you instructed. When I push the PCM button it reads 05024CD1/3905.
When I push the system software button it reads 04514BD1/5104.
Please tell me I have the 2.1b

Thanks
Chris

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Folks,

As part of my research into the sat radio install, I found myself researching the various PCM software versions. I was curious as to my own PCM software version. Let me share some knowledge with you.

Note 1: I do not THINK you can do any damage here, but proceed at your own risk. As far as I can tell, you cannot change any settings, and the following steps only display information.

Note 2: I dont 'think' it matters whether you have PCM 2.1, PCM 2.1A or PCM 2.1B for the sat radio install (assuming my attempted install even works). So it really does not matter anyway from what I can tell.

Note 3: PLEASE don't ask me questions such as differences between versions of the PCM software. I have no idea. There are many others on this Board smarter than me that can help you.

So, with the above said, first take out any telephone SIM cards from the SIM slot (if applicable) and remove any CDs from the in-dash CD player. Next, the following is a 'trick' to display the software versions of the PCM and related components. Turn on the PCM screen, i.e., turn on the radio, and then depress the "MAIN" and "TRIP" buttons simultaneously. The term "SW Versions" will appear, and you can scroll to the various components to display software versions using the right scroll ****. Select PCM and press the scroll ****.

Write down the software version of the PCM. To exit, press the "back" button a few times (you know, the button with the round circle arrow thing under the "set" button) to exit out of the SW menu to get back to the normal PCM display.

If your PCM software version is "05024xxx" you are at PCM 2.1B, and this is the most current version. You should be at this version if you have a 2006 997.

If your PCM software version is "04202xxx" you are at PCM 2.1A, and this is not the most current version, but the prior version.

If your PCM software version is "04035xxx" you are at PCM 2.1, and this is not the most current version, but the second removed version (prior to PCM 2.1A).

If you want to use the latest version of the Navigation DVD (labeled 04.2005 or higher), you apparently need a software update to PCM 2.1B.

Please note: THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO PLAY .MP3 CDs in the in-dash player. No software update will help you achieve this objective.

I do know PCM 2.1B allows for updated and new navigation features, and is a requirement to use the most up to date NAV disc, but i am not exactly sure which features are updated. I know it involves an expansion of digitized roads from 3,000,000 miles to 5,000,000 miles, but that's about it.

Why am I posting this? Because several people sent me IM's trying to figure out which PCM versions they have.

Listen, I am no expert. I only know enough to be dangerous. I am just passing along what I am learning in my travels.

Enjoy....

Adam

Quick Reply: A Neat Trick: Ascertaining your PCM Version