Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:56 AM
avenchia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Hello-
I am new posting to this forum, but have read it for the past few weeks. There seemed to be a fair amount of interest in getting Sat radio into the 997. I went to La Jolla Audio today (in San Diego) and had XM installed.

From what I have gathered, they install a unit meant for the Cayenne into the 997 and install the antenna on a bracket where the GPS antenna is mounted (near the wipers). The entire install is clean, invisible and appears as if it were done at the factory.

I live in Orange County, so I had more than an hour to play with it on the way back. Again, it operates as though it came from the factory. You can search by categories (sports, news, rock, etc) and also set "presets" just like in the AM and FM modes. You switch to "info" mode to display the track name and artist information. It works very well.

I will continue to use it over the next few days to determine how reception is.

The cost of the install (all in) was approximately $2000.
The following users liked this post:
M.B1 (04-07-2023)
Old 01-28-2006, 01:08 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice, congrats! ... Any pics? .. Please post!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:55 AM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

$2k??? WOW!

i can't imagine spending that much on sat radio!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:44 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can and I will. But I am back east. Damn. This has got to stop. I really want that mod. I am a music guy and quite frankly will not settle for any sat install other than what you now have. Can you provide pics of the control unit and wiring? details please!!! I knew it must have been a Cayenne sat control unit because of the MOST protocol extensions. Makes perfect sense. I am going to go today to my dealer and see if I can order the parts.

Where did they install the control unit? Do you have the 6 disc changer installed also?

Do you select sat mode by repeatededly cycling through the am/fm button?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:48 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

We need BumperPlugs to sell the parts and instructions.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:11 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Will you list all parts and part numbers used by the dealer as listed on the invoice. Please include prices for parts and amount of labor used and charged. Thanks, I too have anxiously been awaiting this mod.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Dear Avenchia- Your satellite install sounds really interesting & will most likely draw numerous responses. If you are able to provide information that will allow others to duplicate it, could you please start a new thread, so it doesn't get buried in the background.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:28 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Avenchia,

1. Please change the title of the thread to read "Official 997 MOST Sat Install Thread". Since you started it, you can take the credit for the official thread and I will not start a new thread.

2. I have good news to report. I can confirm through two different sources - you and another Board member that sent me a PM - that the original custom shop in San Diego apparently used Cayenne parts. This makes sense as the Cayenne parts would have the OEM protocol extensions for MOST that would cross model lines in Porsche vehicles. Apparently, I must therefore assume the MOST protocol extensions are the same for the 997 PCM system with no further tinkering.

3. I immediately drove the 997 down to my dealer today. My main tech guy was not there, but he will be back on Monday. My parts guy was there, and he told me I can order the Cayenne Sirrus or XM "kit". The Sirrus part number is 955-044-900-63 with a list price of $990.00. I don't know the XM part number but I know it exists. He thinks the kit has everything including wiring harnesses and the antenna but we need to confirm with the tech guy on Monday.

4. My parts guy asked whether I had the 6 disc changer installed because apparently there are two different part numbers (the part number above is for Cayenne's WITH the 6 disc changer because I have the 6 disc changer in my 997). He believes that the sat kit has two different part numbers because the wiring harnesses are different and, if you have the changer, you unplug the harness from the changer, plug in the sat harness into the changer, and then plug the old wire harness into the new wire harness just inserted into the CD changer, i.e., it makes a "sandwich". If you dont have the changer, apparently its a different harness. He thinks it is very seamless, and after patching in the harnesses which are plug and play, all you need to do is route and install the antenna. Most importantly, the CD changers are identical in the Cayenne and 997, so we expect the wiring harnesses will work with the 997.

5. I am told that my main tech guy can pull up the wiring diagrams for me and actually tell me his experience regarding installs. I expect to talk to him Monday.

6. Assuming the wiring harnesses work, the only unknown is what happens after you turn the key. Is this simply plug and play and therefore it works once hooked up, or does the tech need to hook up the OBD or whatever its called and "turn on" the feature from a computer. I will find out how it works with the Cayenne on Monday. Also, I am assuming the MOST protocols work without further tinkering.

7. It is POSSIBLE this is a VERY simple install if its truly plug and play. All that will need to be done is the mounting of the component and antenna - the easy part with all things considered.

I am very excited about this. Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

- Adam

p.s. A note to La Jolla Audio if you are reading this: I am requesting you do the right thing here and help us out, especially item 6 above. I would gladly pay you to do the install if I lived in California. But I don't. We are going to figure this out one way or another so a little help would go a long way toward good will. Just tell us if anything special needs to be done once the harnesses are hooked up.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:37 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'am suspicious at best for a 1st post, knowing the Sat radio for Cayenne is not a Tequipment option, only factory installed....
Old 01-28-2006, 12:44 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

MJones,

It may be his first post but there was another thread posted from the original custom installer with screenshots that got deleted. He got his installed at that same custom shop. Unless the starter of this thread is the custom shop in disguise.

Avenchia, please if you can take a picture of the sat module they installed. I visually looked at the module in the Cayenne today so I would like to see if it is identical. Please tell us this is not a hoax... post pictures of the PCM screen and component parts!!!

Also, Mjones, I am told Cayenne owners can order the kit from Porsche parts for dealer install.

If this is a hoax I will be quite pissed off as I now have considerable time and hope invested.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha you guys.... *sigh*
I won't ever understand. Anyways, So - XM or Sirrius? the great debate...
Old 01-28-2006, 01:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
I'am suspicious at best for a 1st post, knowing the Sat radio for Cayenne is not a Tequipment option, only factory installed....
Sounds like another tease to me. 1st and maybe last post?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:49 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Come on guys. I think this is for real.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:06 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some facts:
If you want Sat radio in a Cayenne it must be FACTORY installed.
If you wanted to retrofit Sat radio in a Cayenne (which you cannot) you would need to install a new head unit...since they are different.

There is nothing at this time that will interface the MOST for SAT in a 997, 987 letalone operate thru the PCM head unit.
Simpley it is a closed system
How closed...when the PIWIS is hooked up the PCM display reads "SERVICE"
Old 01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Dane k.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile XM Radio

OK...before ordering my new 997s...I asked about aftermarket sat. radio installs,and I was given two different shops. La Jolla Audio was one of them.Another was here in O.C. in Newport Beach or Costa MESA.Looks like a little trip down the coast will be in order,when the new car gets here...CAN'T get by without XM....Dane

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!