Sponsored by:

Snow Tires Part Deux - now with 17mm Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Snow Tires Part Deux - now with 17mm Spacers

I recently posted a thread on my winter tire package from Tire Rack for my ride. (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/245937-put-my-snow-tires-on-long-w-lots-of-pics.html) My one concern was that the rears (265) are 40 mm narrower than the stock tires (305) and that even with an increased offset of the rims they still looked a little ‘donutty.’

The solution of course was spacers. I was originally going to place H&R 14 mm spacers in the rear however this would have necessitated cutting off the captive washer from my OEM bolts for use with the H&R longer bolts or buying aftermarket longer bolts (e.g. Boothe or Wheel Enhancement). I decided that although a bit pricier I would go with the Porsche 17 mm rear spacer set (Tequipment 996) which most dealers sell for about $300-350 but Suncoast sells for $250.

The spacers went on easily and I think that the 17 mm increased track makes the snow tires look a little more ‘stock’. There was no noticeable difference in my brief test drive today (no vibration tested to 90 mph).

Here is my photo chronicle:
The Porsche 17 mm spacers come with 10 black nuts. The spacer then mounts to the wheel hub using the original wheel bolts. The wheel then secures to the spacer using the black nuts. BTW, these nuts are so far inside the wheel that you don’t notice them.

The weather is dark and rainy today so please excuse the gloomy garage pics. The shot on the left here shows the snow tires after I first put them on (no spacers). The shot on the right is after adding the 17 mm spacers.

The shot on the left here is pre-spacer while the shot on the right is post-spacer. The easiest way to compare the offset is by looking at the tire tread in relation to the wet/sand marks on the garage floor both pre- and post-.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I use 25mm spaces on my rear tires with the 17" snows... it really is a must.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for the posting and the pics. With the spacers it looks like Porsche has gone back to using NUTS to secure the wheels. They look like the old aluminum nuts we used to secure Fuchs alloys until around 1989. Glad I held onto my wheel nut locks (a Porsche 928 part number).

Dan
Old 01-15-2006, 03:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent job there, Dave, of documenting the process and showing the before and after pics.

I can see the difference thanks to your pics. Now your car won't look like there's something wrong with it, having the rear wheels tucked in so far. Now it looks much better.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
Excellent job there, Dave, of documenting the process and showing the before and after pics...
Yeah, I like the before and after photo thing.
Observe:

Pic on left is our Ragdoll in full bloom, pic on right is him with his brand new lion cut. Please, no 'hairy *****' or 'shaved *****' jokes:
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Please, no 'hairy *****' or 'shaved *****' jokes:
You're a riot Dave, always anticipating the ***** jokes.

How 'bout "Nice looking *****" on the left. and "Ugly looking *****" on the right?

Actually, ***** looks happy on the left, and pissed on the right after the buzz cut.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
You're a riot Dave, always anticipating the ***** jokes.

How 'bout "Nice looking *****" on the left. and "Ugly looking *****" on the right?

Actually, ***** looks happy on the left, and pissed on the right after the buzz cut.
He actually likes being shaved! Maybe he looks pissed because I took about 20 pics of him this morning.
I think the police are near.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires Part Deux - now with 17mm Spacers