Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:40 AM
brownie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Standard seats, manual controls and heated. Did not like the sports seats in the dealer car I drove several times. Bottom was great but back hit my shoulders wrong.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:41 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eilig
I'm 5'9" 160 lbs. It's not the shoulder area that I find uncomfortable in the adaptives. It has to do more with the "butt feel." I like the standard seats because I've got my butt planted in that thing. I just can't find the right feel or setting in the adaptives. Also, the bottom cushion in the adaptives has very little give, and after a few hours sitting in the car (long drives), you begin to feel like you're sitting on a wooden bench.
See, you just need to have a big butt like I do...

Perhaps like some motorcycle seats, the seats need to be broken in? Either way, my big concern is going to be the shoulder area. Will just have to adjust that shoulder area to get it the best as it can be.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:43 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have some standard seats they want to sell me so I can dump these darn adaptives?!
I have a set of gray soft leather 996 standard seats from a 2002 Turbo for sale. They were taken out of my car at 3000 miles so I could put in GT3 seats, and they are (to my knowledge, but check with your local parts dept) a standard swap for 997 seats. I'll also be placing GT3 seats in my incoming 997, so the terracotta standard seats from that car will be taken out upon delivery, but I'm leaning toward not selling them in case the next owner (should I decide to sell the car later) wants standard seats, not GT3 seats.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm 5'9" 160 lbs. It's not the shoulder area that I find uncomfortable in the adaptives. It has to do more with the "butt feel." I like the standard seats because I've got my butt planted in that thing. I just can't find the right feel or setting in the adaptives. Also, the bottom cushion in the adaptives has very little give, and after a few hours sitting in the car (long drives), you begin to feel like you're sitting on a wooden bench.

Try a set of GT3 seats--I had those full time in my Turbo for 4 years. Actually bought a small pillow to sit on on longer trips--found my limit was about 3 hours before butt fatigue set in (without the additional pillow). I got the adaptive sport seats in my Club Coupe, too. And if I need them I've still got my little pillows for long trips.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:57 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of gray soft leather 996 standard seats from a 2002 Turbo for sale.

Hey thanks for the offer. I will talk to the parts dept and find out if it's a retrofit that would work. Of course gray wouldn't match my black interior... but who knows, it might end up looking sort of cool.

I bought the car to use as a Daily D, and unfortunately I just don't think the adaptives are a good seat for that type of usage.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 AM
LuxuryGuru
Intermediate

I have owned a 997 for a month and have the standard seats. They are starting to kill my back at the shoulders. i never had this problem on my 993. I am a big guy 6-3 250 lb. Any suggestions? It seems the sides are very rigid.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Sands
Instructor

I've got the Standard leather and have found them extremely comfortable. Now, admittedly, I have only 850 miles on my car and have not taken it for any extended trips, but I really like the feel for my men's small frame. I'm not planning on any track time, nor particularly long trips, but it does get spirited driving. As the only driver, the manual is fine for me because once it's set, I'm done. No car wash guys or valets are moving my seats around! I've driven a 997S like mine with the sport adaptive seats and quite liked them. Still, I had no hesitation in ordering the standard. My avatar shows the interior a little bit. Let me know if you'd like me to take some more pics.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:29 PM
MMD
Banned

997 seats are vast improvement over 996 ones. Both *** and standard are probably equally very comfortable.

What's nice is the seat recline button only avail on electric seat option and ASSeats.

Can only get lumbar and seat tilt on standard seats *with* electric seat option.

So it's *almost* a no brainer (not quite) to get the ASSeats if you want to go for the electric seat option.

I'd also say if you're over40 get as many comfort controls as you can get, including the side bolsters of the ASSeats.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by LuxuryGuru
I have owned a 997 for a month and have the standard seats. They are starting to kill my back at the shoulders. i never had this problem on my 993. I am a big guy 6-3 250 lb. Any suggestions? It seems the sides are very rigid.
With the 996 seats it was possible to shove padding behind the center section of the seat back. That helped alot of guys. I guess with the new seats, since center section is sewn in, you have go to a topflight car seat upholsterer and they could add a touch or remove a touch of padding? The other thing is to wait it out. My ASSeats killed me (and a few other guys report this too) for a few months til either my rear end got used to it or the seats broke in a bit.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish standard seats have manual lumbar and bolster adjustment and electric front/aft. Front/aft and recline are the only things that needs to be electric for me. The rest being manual is just fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Heddok
Intermediate

I have the standard seats in my 2005 987S. This summer drove 14 hours non-stop to the west coast through the Rockies. Ditto on the way back. I'm 50 and usually stiffen up after 8 hours but these were by far the most comfortable long distance seats ever. With a GC lock on the seatbelt they work for auto-x too.
Brad
Old 12-07-2005, 11:33 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, I can answer now, that I have Adaptive Sports Seats and they are the best seats I have ever sat in!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by JFScheck
So, I can answer now, that I have Adaptive Sports Seats and they are the best seats I have ever sat in!!!
Yeah, mee too! I had to drive for two hours today, got to my destination (construction site in countryside) and just sat in the car when I got there. My A.S. Seats were soooooo comfortable I didn't feel the need to get out and stretch. Amazing. No kidding.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Throw a little heat on and I'll sit in the car all day. Actaully my back was a little sore from moving some stuff around and the seat was a great comfort! Much better than the seats in my Cayenne!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 AM
David_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the standard seats, full leather, electric, heated and I love them. I have 14,000 mi. on my 2005 997 and have taken a 7,350 mile trip from coast to coast with a very bad back and these seats are great. I found the sport seats too hard and the adaptive seats a little tight on my 6'1" 215 lb. frame. I've been driving 911's for over 31 years and I'm here to say I've died and gone to heaven. This beats the 996 I had, hands down.

Quick Reply: 997 seats