Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire for 997?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 07:29 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Richard, welcome back. I do have a nice yellow "pouch" that came with the kit but its not plastic rather its made of thick quality felt (rather nice) and it has a string on top to secure it after you place the tools, boot, gloves, etc. in it. I just shoved it right behind the spare. I like the tie down strap idea that MMD mentioned further down the post and will look into it (thanks). I don't have the number for the pouch and it may just come with the 1/2 moon styrofoam gismo that you place your OEM jack in that fits right inside the rim. You can even omit that and put the OEM jack in the pouch with the other stuff all together. The OEM jack is very light and easy to use, just make sure you place it in the designated jack "spots" under your car, it will almost "lock" into its slot (refer to your owners manual) but its so easy to find and should fit in the notch like a glove. If it doesn't, you missed the groove that the "nipple" of the top of the jack fits into. Never use this jack to work under your car!! You must have jack stands as back-ups and using a good hydraulic jack instead makes more sense. No, there were no instructions to speak of (I expected that as usual). Most of it is very simple. Cheers!
Old 02-27-2005, 12:36 AM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gradyex:

Thanks for the aditional information. I wondered about the weight on the two securing *****. All in all it sounds like a good approach if one wants the security of having a spare and tools for same on board. After reading your description and viewing the photos I have to think that Porsche's explanation of ditching the spare for weight saving and no where to put the removed rear tire/wheel combo does not seem to hold water. It does look like the spare takes up quite a bit of space in the forward boot. Life is full of compromises.

I will ponder this approach for my car. The $700 doesn't frighten me much and the security would be worth having I think. This is especially true if one was to take off over the less populated portions of the western USA. Using a GSM T-Mobile phone, as I do, takes one out of cell phone communication when straying too far from major highways.

Anyway, thanks for all your legwork, trials, photos and explanations of this spare tire option. It is most helpful. Answers nearly all the questions I can think of. The key is to use it as intended and not try to drive a ridiculous speeds or distances with the spare in place of a standard wheel/tire combo.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:11 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny Bill, I happen to have that same cell phone provider, and it doesn't take much to get a "no service" on the screen. On mountain roads, or anywhere 10 miles away from civilization, forget it (not enough transmitters). As soon as my contract is up, I'm switching.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:47 AM
DD694
Instructor

gradyex:

I got the T-Mobile GSM phone for its Bluetooth capability that works very well with my Lexus LS430. Last May/June my wife and I drove from California to Maryland and Pennsylvania and back. We traveled just under 7,000 miles. Fortunately, we had absolutely no mechanical or tire issues. In many parts of the country there is no signal. That being said, whenever I had occasion to use my phone it worked just fine. I try very hard NOT to use a cell phone in a car, even with Bluetooth and handsfree operation it is a big distraction. I have missed freeway exits while on a cell phone. One wonders what else I might be missing.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but I'm a new 997.1 C2S owner (model year 2007), and was curious: have there been any updates to the spare rim/tire issue?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

The collapsible spare is available from Suncoast at the link below

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=997cwheels

The one for the Cayman is the same tire and kit, except the straps on the cover mount at four points

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me...duct_Code=CSTK

You can create a mounting solution similar to the threads here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ighlight=spare

Finally, do a search on Ebay or the salvage yards You might find the kit or its components a lot cheaper along with the possiblility of the inflated Boxster spare mentions in some of the threads
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
joelpirela
Racer

go to ebay and buy the collapsable spare from the 996 turbo/c4s, get a foam insert with the jack/tools and trim the edge of the foam, so it will fit the inside of the spare rim. find a way to secure it inside your trunk (elastic ties, rod/nut, whatever) you are done. piece of cake. I spent $79 on the foam insert/jack/tools and $179 on a brand new spare on ebay... so $258 later, I have piece of mind.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The new 997.2s (and 997.1s) are fitted with larger diameter spare tires by Porsche (when they deliver a spare with the car)... so I'm assuming there is a valid mechanical reason for needing the larger tire/wheel combo.

Also, I'm not sure anyone has reported back on having actually used their spare they added and what the experience was.

I acquired the 997 larger kit and styrofoam gray base that is designed to sit in the back seat. I put it in the car when I'm traveling long distances out of the metro area. Have not had to use it yet. For me, I'm not worried about fitting it in the frunk, because, if I do need the spare, the flat tire would have to come inside the car somewhere. The big backs being the worst case, so dedicating a back seat to carry the spare as needed makes sense to me.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire for 997?