Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt loosened, pin broke: New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 11:34 AM
pskirk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Pulley Bolt loosened, pin broke: New Engine

Anyone else had this on a 997, I know it has happened on some 996s?

997 Carrera S, 2,200 miles

Yesterday evening it started making a noise almost like it was a diesel accompanied by a screeching. Taken to OPD this morning, on arrival at workshop, the noise increased and engine warning light came on.

Mechanics seemed to know straight away what had happened. They said the bolt holding the pulley which drives water pump etc onto crankshaft had come loose. This had allowed the pulley to move around and the pin which locates the pulley onto the crankshaft to break.

Dealer says the will get authorization for a new engine from Porsche GB on Monday.

I will let you know what happens.

Peter
Old 01-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Rasta
Racer

Ouch! One loose bolt and a whole new engine. That's unfortunate. First I'm hearing of something like this. Good luck with the fix.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:58 AM
pskirk
Track Day

Update:

New engine on its way from Germany, should be fitted today.

Having spoken to others it does seem to be a common problem carried over from the 996.

Peter
Old 01-13-2005, 09:42 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

This may be a good lesson. If I hear the noise I will have it towed to the dealer!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:21 AM
andyuk911
2nd Gear

80% of parts are new, so why carry over a problem from the 20% old, if you see my point.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Repeat of RMS???

Porsche is not doing the great engineering they used to.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:03 AM
pskirk
Track Day

New engine now installed.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

So, with 2,200 miles you just got over the break-in and now you have to do it all over again? Man, that's some bad luck.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:30 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think this is indicative of Porsche's attitude towards their customers nowadays - as long as they can still sell record numbers of cars to hairdressers and poseurs, why worry about the few true enthusiasts whom expect the quality engineering they used to stand for...

Yes, there were some issues with earlier cars, but nothing this ridiculous. These are problems that Porsche has known about for years now and refuse to do anything about. That's the kind of thinking that results in a non-dry-sump 911 engine (starting with the 996), and transmissions that are built to be replaced as an entire unit because of their inherent weakness. For the record, I own a 95 993 coupe with M030, and I would love to have the performance of a new 997S - However, I'm not willing to 'upgrade" to a car without dry sump, with japanese-like feel and character, and a manufacturing philosophy more akin to "disposable car" than "bulletproof dependability."

Sorry for the rant, but after owning a 986S and having the interior fall apart and look ratty after less than 2 years of use; and watching my best friend's MY2001 996 have two engine replacements (he decided to sell about 6 months before his warranty ran out - can you blame him?), short of a GT3, I won't be buying any new "street" pcars.

I'd like to be convinced otherwise, because like I said, after driving a 997S I'm very impressed with the performance.

Greg (flamesuit on)
Old 01-24-2005, 01:38 PM
pskirk
Track Day

Originally Posted by pcar964
I think this is indicative of Porsche's attitude towards their customers nowadays - as long as they can still sell record numbers of cars to hairdressers and poseurs, why worry about the few true enthusiasts whom expect the quality engineering they used to stand for...

manufacturing philosophy more akin to "disposable car" than "bulletproof dependability."

Sorry for the rant, but after owning a 986S and having the interior fall apart and look ratty after less than 2 years of use; and watching my best friend's MY2001 996 have two engine replacements (he decided to sell about 6 months before his warranty ran out - can you blame him?), short of a GT3, I won't be buying any new "street" pcars.
Spot on Grant.

A friend of mine had two new engines and one new tip box fitted to his 996 Targa during the 9 months he owned it from new.

Porsche Post frequently contains letters and articles about 996s with engine failure outside the warranty and Porsche wash their hands of the problem, even if car is low mileage and has a FPSH.

There is no way I would advise anyone to buy a second hand 996, excepting the Turbo which seems to be OK.

Peter
Old 01-27-2005, 04:16 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Peter,

the reason the turbo is ok, is that it uses the old style crankcase, which means dry sump - same bottom end as on the GT3. Funny how Porsche suddenly believes pcar owners with over $100k to spend deserve top notch engineering - they're essentially selling the rest of us mere mortals glorified Hondas.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt loosened, pin broke: New Engine