Need advice on potential 2003 996TT buy - Page 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Need advice on potential 2003 996TT buy

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #16
Berra
User

It all depends on how it's been stored, but usually time will tear parts, BUT...I don't agree with some here saying "yes". This is not a fact, my own car is proof enough for me so I can atleast speak for myself and say no, low mileage will not always give trouble.

I bought mine at 19k miles and 6+k miles later I've done nothing except for service and car is still as new.
Berra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #17
Grey
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berra View Post
It all depends on how it's been stored, but usually time will tear parts, BUT...I don't agree with some here saying "yes". This is not a fact, my own car is proof enough for me so I can atleast speak for myself and say no, low mileage will not always give trouble.

I bought mine at 19k miles and 6+k miles later I've done nothing except for service and car is still as new.
That's good to know too. What year is your 996 and when did you acquire it?
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #18
s65e90
User

Low miles on an older car will def show as you'll have to replace things. Saying 6k miles trouble free is not that impressive as it's only 6k miles. These cars are very reliable but need to be driven like anything else, it's a machine.
s65e90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #19
Berra
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
That's good to know too. What year is your 996 and when did you acquire it?
Mine is a 2003 too and I bought it in November 2014. The shop where I service the car has gone through the whole car twice since then and they've told me it's basically brand new. It had 2 former owners, first owner had it for 7 years and second one had it 4 years. None of them drove it much, never seen rain etc.

I am aware that it's always good to drive a car but I will never agree that low mileage equals trouble. It may cause issues, but it's not a fact.
Berra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #20
manimal
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think anyone's claiming that you're guaranteed to have issues, but at a certain point, extremely low miles do increase the possibility.

6k is not much of a sample. I'm sure Macster had 6k+ stints of trouble free miles in his 120k+ of miles. I have about 6k of relatively trouble-free miles on mine, as well (38k => 44k), but I'm not about to jump to any conclusions based on that experience.
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote