Sponsored by:

San Antonio boost leak help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 02:32 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default San Antonio boost leak help..

I recently had a tune on the car and logs show I'm running rich around 5500rpms, per the tuner it's either lack of flow from the intercoolers I'm soon replacing or a nagging boost leak I couldn't fix. The pressure tester holds about 15psi for 5-10mins rock solid but when you go to 20 it's falls off to 15 fairly quick.

The boost leak is on the driver side of the car and i can't seem to pinpoint it other than it's below the throttle body to the far right and possibly the pipe going to the plenums. It seems like the leak is at the distribution block off as there is a pipe that runs back and seems to terminate at a mounted hard point, but I'm not sure of the real name which makes this even harder to articulate. I plan to tear it apart again in the next week or two but want to fix it this time, anyone familiar with these engines car to lend a hand or advice. My biggest problem is that I'm not very familiar with the layout and once I get that deep into the engine it seems like some bolts need to be removed and I'd rather not waste time removing things that don't need to be removed.

There is a local business I trust to fix it if I can't but I'm going to give it one more attempt before spending the money.
Thanks
Shawn
Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

This will get you images and part names and numbers:
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...6T_KATALOG.pdf
Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Perfect! Bookmarked.

Also it is at the distributor and "lid" any suggestions of tackling that one?
Thanks
Shawn
Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Support the engine well(harbor freight hydraulic table) and lower it by removing the 2 nuts so you can access the top more easily. When it touches the crossmember that your maximum workspace with engine in the car.
Good tool to have for doing the reservoir and motor mounts too.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:19 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

My car had a leak that did not present itself until 10psi but leaked rapidly after that. It ended up being the gasket between the throttle body and the intake plenum. It leaked bad enough that it would not make bubbles because it would just blow the soapy water away. It is hard to tell exactly where that leak is because you can't really "see" it because it is pretty far back in the engine. If you have not changed that gasket already I would do so because if that is not your current leak it will leak sometime in the future. The gasket setup there is not the best design.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Support the engine well(harbor freight hydraulic table) and lower it by removing the 2 nuts so you can access the top more easily. When it touches the crossmember that your maximum workspace with engine in the car.
Good tool to have for doing the reservoir and motor mounts too.
Good information. Thank you! It's safe to lower as far as the crossmember? Can HF this table handle an engine removal as far as max/min height? It appears that it will.

HF has those tables (1K#) for $260 this weekend. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I need to get to the oil press. sender, and that seems like a little easier way than taking so much stuff off. Maybe.

Quick Reply: San Antonio boost leak help..