Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune (Cobb AP) impact on high mileage engine

Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3stig
Why is it when you ask a tuner that writes the 'tune' program from scratch about a Cobb off the shelf tune, they say its junk.
They then add how in the heck can one tune work for so many different cars with different milage.

You ask a Cobb vendor about the Cobb tune and they tell you that these cars dont need a tune written from scratch for each carr.

UMW + Markski vs Cobb

whom do you believe????
It's always better to cut a tune for a specific car. However, all same-type 996TT's come from the factory with the same tune, so how much difference it really makes comes down to how far off the base tune a specific car is. Also, modern car engine management systems have several features that can compensate for manufacturing variations and allow the vast majority of stock cars to still run optimally. I've tuned several cars myself (comparing cars with identical modifications) and really did not see much improvement when creating a custom tune for a specific car, but my sample size is very small, so YMMV.

However, going so far as to say that any tune not created for a specific car being junk is definitely an unfair generalization and is not true for all cases.

Staying on thread topic, it seems the 996TT shares its over-designed engine characteristics with the 32-valve 928 engine. My old 928GT made ~420rwhp and had over 240k miles. It was my DD and almost every day I hit 8psi of boost. The supercharger was run on it from ~180k - ~240k miles. I wouldn't worry about adding more wear when adding just a tune without any other heavy modifications.

Dan
Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply Dan.

Originally Posted by dprantl
It's always better to cut a tune for a specific car. However, all same-type 996TT's come from the factory with the same tune, so how much difference it really makes comes down to how far off the base tune a specific car is. Also, modern car engine management systems have several features that can compensate for manufacturing variations and allow the vast majority of stock cars to still run optimally. I've tuned several cars myself (comparing cars with identical modifications) and really did not see much improvement when creating a custom tune for a specific car, but my sample size is very small, so YMMV.

However, going so far as to say that any tune not created for a specific car being junk is definitely an unfair generalization and is not true for all cases.

Staying on thread topic, it seems the 996TT shares its over-designed engine characteristics with the 32-valve 928 engine. My old 928GT made ~420rwhp and had over 240k miles. It was my DD and almost every day I hit 8psi of boost. The supercharger was run on it from ~180k - ~240k miles. I wouldn't worry about adding more wear when adding just a tune without any other heavy modifications.

Dan
Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylorcar
My question is, will a [Cobb] tune cause noticeable additional wear on the engine - specifically in a high mileage car??

I have about 95k miles on my car, and while I like the additional power and taking full advantage of 94oct and high flow exhaust (SpeedTech 3.0"), I'd love to be one of those 996TTs that makes it into the 200k mile range one day...

Before putting my car away at the beginning of the winter I had picked up a Cobb AP and flashed the ECU with the Stage II 93oct (94 is readily accessible where I live). The power improvement was noticeable, although not earth shattering. Wondering if I should flash back to stock or if I shouldn't be concerned.
Your engine should be able to handle the additional power fine so long as it is running well on the tune. I'd confirm your engine is running well via datalogging and review by someone trusted. Lots of people have higher power levels with many miles and no issues. The stories of popping a motor are less popular to post but if you read many posts it's referenced. Some may happen from lack of fuel, overboost, boost delivery at too low RPM, etc.

I have no Cobb experience beyond corn but did put a UMW tune on my x50 when I still had the k24's. It made a huge difference in the otherwise stock car with both power and how smooth the car ran.

Beyond your original question consider other implications of a tune/more HP.

Kevin warned me the OE clutch/PP set-up would not last and it toasted the stock pressure plate long before the clutch was worn to replacement level/rivets. Stock PP couldn't hold the torque when in 4/5/6 on the highway and started slipping. That was just after my transmission started making bearing noises after a few track outings (GT2/3 have cooler). These can get expensive quick.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

no cobb experience beyond corn?! love it.

wondering if dprantls description of our motor as "over designed" has any relation to the oft asserted belief that given the cars
being essentially detuned from the factory for mass consumption ( and given its a gt variant ) that the reference was to how much power is left on the table with simple tweaks/parts and that the additional 150+/- whp can *potentially* be had, and thereby safely enjoyed for years, trouble free.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:18 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
wondering if dprantls description of our motor as "over designed" has any relation to the oft asserted belief that given the cars
being essentially detuned from the factory for mass consumption ( and given its a gt variant ) that the reference was to how much power is left on the table with simple tweaks/parts and that the additional 150+/- whp can *potentially* be had, and thereby safely enjoyed for years, trouble free.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. And this phenomenon is not just limited to Porsche's racing-derived engines since I observed the same thing on the 928. I have heard (not sure if it's true or just a myth) that at one point Ferry Porsche even mentioned something about this and that it was a mistake to design production cars in such a way from the point of view of the auto manufacturer.

Dan
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

agree, it truly is a phenomenon!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune (Cobb AP) impact on high mileage engine