996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about repainting...

Old 03-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have worked in Automotive Repair/Professional Racing/Restoration for 13 years now basically doing it professionally since the age of 19. I have seen thousands of repairs and hundreds of repaints from quick and dirty to high cost repair work. In that time outside of the in house restoration work done by the race team I have seen exactly 1 paint job that I though was on par with factory paintwork.

Some things good painters usually do a good job on are things like Runs, Cracking, Fisheyes, Orange Peel. However, When you really start to look at paintwork you will find even good paint jobs have problems with Prep like sanding marks its so common its sad, Dirt in the Paint! God damn, dirt in aftermarket paint is like the plague and I understand why. It is very hard to keep paint booths clean and even if you do its extremely tedious to make sure the car is clean when its entered for paint. Paint distribution is the third big factor that always makes an aftermarket paint not up to factory standards. Its very hard to paint an entire car and keep paint distribution even and on metallic especially its seems to show and that doesn't even take into account the factor of durability or paint seams which are extremely common on a re-spray because no one wants to do the prep work to pull everything apart.

Can you do a better job then factory? Sure, it can be done but 99% of the time it won't be.

Two cars on right were recently restored by the race shop. This picture is from Amelia Island which if you want to spend half your cars value or more for paint basically the only way I have seen it done right. Also, when it comes to pictures its impossible to see if paintwork is good or bad IMHO.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:21 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
I have worked in Automotive Repair/Professional Racing/Restoration for 13 years now basically doing it professionally since the age of 19. I have seen thousands of repairs and hundreds of repaints from quick and dirty to high cost repair work. In that time outside of the in house restoration work done by the race team I have seen exactly 1 paint job that I though was on par with factory paintwork.
Not to start a fight, but you must not have been around very good shops . I have seen multiple examples where the re-paint was far superior to the factory paint.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 719 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Not to start a fight, but you must not have been around very good shops . I have seen multiple examples where the re-paint was far superior to the factory paint.
+1. I have seen amazing paintwork done in a barn of all places. Prep work makes the end result.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

It's all about the talent behind the gun, the prep work, and in general caring about doing a good job...
A good buddy of mine does custom paintwork (most Harley's), the attention to detail and final result has to be seen to be believed...and it's currently done out of his home garage...no factory paint comes close. Bike below also has glow-in-the-dark accents
One of my cars is having a small bit of paint work done to a panel by a highly recommended local shop, will see how it turns out when I get it back tomorrow...I have exceptionally good vision and am very picky...
Skills, care, and patience....
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2017, 04:51 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree! The bold part can be a blessing as well as a curse though

Originally Posted by 993GT
It's all about the talent behind the gun, the prep work, and in general caring about doing a good job...
A good buddy of mine does custom paintwork (most Harley's), the attention to detail and final result has to be seen to be believed...and it's currently done out of his home garage...no factory paint comes close. Bike below also has glow-in-the-dark accents
One of my cars is having a small bit of paint work done to a panel by a highly recommended local shop, will see how it turns out when I get it back tomorrow...I have exceptionally good vision and am very picky...
Skills, care, and patience....
Old 03-14-2017, 11:45 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Absolutely...I warned the shop painter/owner... "it'll be right, don't worry" .. see tomorrow, hope his eyes are good as mine
Originally Posted by gophaster
I agree! The bold part can be a blessing as well as a curse though
Old 03-14-2017, 11:57 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You cant compare painting a motorcycle gas tank to painting an entire car.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

somewhat true...larger areas to be consistent, but less curvature....his Caddy is well known in the area too, wish I had a decent picture....beautiful colour-changing rootbeer colour...
It's just like mechanical work, find someone who cares and has the skills...
Originally Posted by Gt3stig
You cant compare painting a motorcycle gas tank to painting an entire car.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i suggest that if in doubt f a painter worth his salt, go look at restored cars done by high end shops! They usually exceed the factory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A question about repainting...