Sponsored by:

Stereo Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo Code

I was going to pull my Nav unit to install a Bluetooth adapter.
I am never sure what to refer to this unit as, what's the official model, so here is a pic..

Simple question. is there a security code for these, if I pull it and pull power will it be locked and need a code to unlock?
I checked my manuals and don't see a code anywhere- if there is one- can I get it from Porsche and if so any idea what info they need?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

May be that can be useful: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...ad-this-first/
Old 02-13-2017, 01:01 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Thanks, so it looks like what I have is called the PCM- maybe PCM2? either way looks like I need to get two codes from the dealer.
guess i'll try that before pulling anything.

thanks for link.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Read article on RennTech:

Can you give me a code for my PCM?
These units are manufactured jointly by Siemens and Becker, and the only place where you can get the codes required is from the dealer/OPC. The PCM’s require two codes, the ICS/Siemens code and a Becker code. The ICS is the first code requested.
Sorry, the only place you can get a PCM code is from a dealer/OPC.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Ok, so this weird, in my mail I got a mail saying mfarrell had replied and it said this...

If your car is 2003 and later, no code is necessary. You will have a MOST system, and code is imbedded. These radios do not have a security code - that is, not that the user enters.

but I don't see that in the posts above?

mffarrell- did you confirm that post 03 doesn't require a code- I had seen that online too, but not year specific.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Simbad
Ok, so this weird, in my mail I got a mail saying mfarrell had replied and it said this...

If your car is 2003 and later, no code is necessary. You will have a MOST system, and code is imbedded. These radios do not have a security code - that is, not that the user enters.

but I don't see that in the posts above?

mffarrell- did you confirm that post 03 doesn't require a code- I had seen that online too, but not year specific.
I know the CDR23 doesn't require a code (2003 and later), but I am not sure about the PCM. I saw an article on RennTech.org and posted it for you.

You might want to ask Loren at RennTech.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:57 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Default HELP

I am trying to remove the unit. I saw instructions on rentech
but I am struggling. at present I am here.

from the instructions I saw- there are 4 hex bolts on the side of the unit. I found them and made about half a turn but it does not seem to want to release. I have tried all different combos of turns.
on the bottom I can find two metal tabs that I can push in with my fingers, and was hoping it would slide out, but the top right seems to not want to budge.

Any help on getting the damn thing out?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My info is when power is reconnected the PCM reverts to "code input" mode.

You will need the PCM code. This can be obtained from the DME and doing this *before* you disconnect the battery is best. A Porsche diagnostic computer will be needed so this requires a visit to the dealer or a well equipped indy. Durametric may be able to obtain this code but I don't have any first hand (or 2nd hand) experience with Durametric.

If you can't get the code from the DME then it has to be obtained from Porsche IPAS. (IPAS? I have seen it referenced before but I don't know what it stands for.)

The NAV unit loses its almanac. Switch on the PCM with a free panoramic view for approx. 20 minutes to (re) load the GPS almanac.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in the same spot as you with the hex things... they're sort of a cam lock. I can't remember how I figured it out... but I know I regrouped after considering ripping it out with a chain saw... googled it... and found out a way to remove it. IIRC they are plastic, or at least some part of them is... and a couple of them had broken on mine.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:45 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Hmm I saw another post where they removed the torx screws and pulled the whole thing out including the vents. That might be an easier way.

Then i just need to see If can get in there and do my thing without pulling power. I only need to access the antenna input and find some power.

my fingers we're still hurting this morning after trying the hold the clips while pulling the damn thing out to no avail.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Well I managed to get the unit out. For anyone else trying I found it much easier to remove the 4 torx screws. Then remove the top vent assembly. This pops out if you depress two small clips hidden inside. And then the whole unit and casing came out so easily.

Now ow I was hoping to find the phone kit plug inside as I have read this has switched power I could tap in to. Couldn't find it anywhere and I was at a loss for a power source. I think I am giving up and going to car toys
Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

If I recall the phone line is in the center console.

Quick Reply: Stereo Code